job seekers who leave part time work

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5049 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone brand new to the site and hoping for some help.

My daughter recently left a part time job, 2 days a week, and I'm wondering if this will affect whether she is entitled to job seekers allowance. She is 21 and has never claimed before and I have no experience of it either.

From what I've read in the forums it may well do but I'm not sure if it also applies to part time work or just those leaving full time employment?

Cheers,

Pete

Guest jsa12

if she was employed under 16 hours a week she would be entitled to claim jsa anyway but you must be available to take a full time job and be expected to look for such.you can look for part time if that's all that is available.

normally the dwp will write to a previous employer for the reason of a person leaving,this has many reasons however if a person is dismissed through misconduct or left voluntary this could result in a sanction,this can be anything from one week to six months'.again however the decision maker would have to take into account the reasons for leaving such as stress/bullying or other adverse conditions'.always appeal against any dwp decision if this arises.if work ends you must claim benefit or they will want to know how someone survived,if entitled to income based jsa this will provide free dental treatment/free prescriptions and the possibility of zero council tax bills while unemployed.

Many thanks for your reply. My daughter had her interview today and they seemed to be very understanding! She explained why she left her job and the interviewer noted down "accused of doing things in the wrong", which pretty much summed up her circumstances.

She then spoke to a second person who explained what was expected of her on job seekers. Only thing is nobody actually mentioned whether she was getting any benefits, given the fact that she left her job. But I'm assuming from the fact that they didn't mention she isn't getting any payments that she will. Hope that makes sense :oops:

I don't want to push my luck but can you tell me if living at home affects payments?

Thanks again for your help it's much appreciated :)

Guest jsa12

no it makes no difference,the only time it might is if they try to argue and if there is a sanction and someone has to claim hardship allowance which is basically jobseekers at a reduced rate 20-40% reduction if someone has no savings' and no means of support but this could possibly be overturned on appeal to allow if they do,again always appeal against any decision as the above is a genuine reason to leave and no one should be left without money.

The reason the staff at the Jobcentre haven't told her whether she will get JSA or not is they do not make that decision. It's another department that do that and she will get a letter with their decision. Hopefully it will be in her favour.

Guest jsa12

yes it does go to a decision maker,the company might not even reply when contacted by the dwp so nothing more will be heard about,they would be wise to do just that.

My daughter received her letter today. She will be getting £51.85 a week which I believe is the full amount. She has an appointment tomorrow which we hope will put her on track for full time work.

Many thanks again for all your help. As we were new to this it was great having somewhere to turn to for advice. And as a result of your goodwill I've made a donation towards the upkeep of the site.

nipete