Is there such a thing as a 'self saving' email??

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5078 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I am being disciplined at work and it's partly due to an email I received from my sister in September last year. The email was a joke type with several attachments. IT policy was very lax at this point but, following subsequent events in November, it was tightened up. I cleared my computer of everything I felt was against IT policy, especially my inbox, so I'm surprised that this has been found. The very same email was also received by a colleague at the same time and it was still in her inbox too!

Could this email have 'saved itself' and why did it not show up in our inboxes?

Any help please?

Thanks

Thanks Helford! I don't think that's the case though, if they were looking at all my emails received over that period of time they would have found some pretty offensive stuff!! IT policy WAS really lax. The offending email is really tame-ads for Wallis clothing but there is a topless one of a woman in a bikini whereas in the past I've received full frontal male nudity ones (don't ask). They insist that it was saved in my inbox but I can't imagine saving it for any reason so I put it down to having intended to save the email above or below it and aimed badly but now that my colleague has also been challenged for having it in her inbox it seems too strange??

There are about 500 people where I work and one IT dept so I thought it would be difficult to locate stuff from as far back as sept?

What do you think?

Thanks

You don't 'save' an email in your inbox, it arrives into your inbox and will stay there if you don't delete it.

There are other actions which may affect it though:-

1) As pointed out elsewhere, it will probably be held (for a certain period) on an external server, my last job had 'Mail Marshall', that held every email coming in or out, even ones that were blocked and didnt actually reach the recipient.

2) You can have auto-archive turned on, that can automatically delete or move emails to an 'archive' (normally on a different server/hd).

3) You may have 'Rules' set up that automatically move emails depending on sender, subject, etc to different folders within your email.

4) There will no doubt be some backup procedure to duplicate, copy to tape, your emails and/or archive.

So at the end of the day, the original email is prob still lurking about somewhere even if you did delete it.

NOTE: On top of all this it is also possible to Save an email in a variety of formats.

It seems strange that you could be disciplined for receiving a dodgy email, if I were to look in my personal email junk box I'd find all sorts of (unsolicited) unsavoury emails.

Emails are often closely scrutenised. A big problem within companies is lack of HD space, if the email in question held images, it may have been quite large and therefore easy to spot or flagged up, if you have 500 staff and they each send/receive a single email of 10mb size, thats 5GB used up already.

Andy

Edited by andydd

Thanks Andy!

I'm being disciplined for 'storing' it as opposed to receiving it but think your explanation probably ruins any defence ideas I had!!

I know it wasn't in my 'inbox' as I delete everything so I guess I must've saved it somewhere! Drat!!

Thanks again

G66