Tax credits question.

Kate97
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5061 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, i have just renewed my tax credits claim via phone. I moved in with my partner on sept 3rd 2009, and declared when i started work on the 22 that i was working 10 hours. On the award notice i have just renewed it said 20 hours per week. I got them to correct this and they informed me that this would make no difference to my payments. Also they wanted my partners income details for 2008-2009 when i asked why they wanted details of income the year before we lived together they couldnt give me any other explanation apart from they wouldnt renew our claim without it. Im a bit puzzled, can anyone throw any light on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, and welcome to CAG,

I am sorry but I cant actually help you, but someone will be along more than likely in the morning. I just did not want you to think you were being ignored hun.

I will bump up your post if I see it slipping from 1st page so it gets seen.

Hang in there, there is loads of help on this forum x x x

Thread moved to benefits forum.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• 1 month later...

Hiya,

The reason thery have asked for your 08/09 income is that any new claim is based on the income for each applicant from the previous tax year. So although when you filled in the claim form it was the tax year 09/10, the form would have asked you for the income for both you and your partner for 08/09.

When you completed this you have probably ticked the box to say they were estimated figures.

When it comes to renewal time, at the end of the 09/10 tax year, the system will ask for all ACTUAL income figures for both years. It unfortunately makes no difference that you were not living together in 08/09.

Once you have provided these actual figures form your P60s etc, the system wil look at 08/09 and 09/10 and pick the lowest one, so occasionally it can mean you were underpaid last year and you receive a lump sum back from HMRC. ;)