Benefit for 17yr old help needed urgently

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5083 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My daughter cares for her grandad as he has mini strokes and is waiting for surgery, he is totally deaf and very scared of being alone, she has to help with medication 22 tablets a day but he is not entitled to Attendace Allowance! She went to local job centre 2 months ago to claim some money and was told that she is not entitled to anything, she has had no income since December and I am not in a position to support her any longer as i have been sacked and have only just got another job, have not paid the mortgage in 3 months and we are now at the end of the tether.

The lady at the job centre seemed to not know what she was talkin about as she even said that 17yr old cannot claim carers allowance. Can someone please help me :mad:

Guest Mrs Hobbit

I would be making an appointment with the CAB immediately and check down at your local GP surgery to find the contact number for the Carer's network in your area. They are a valuable source of information

I have just noticed you are in East Anglia. I am also so perhaps my contacts with and Association I am a Welfare Officer for might be able to help.

The other place to get invaluable information is the local hospital through PALS

Many thanks I just dont know what to do and this is making me ill, do you think maybe I should take her to the job centre and insist that I see someone, we need help now things are that bad. Carers network sound great so any details would be appreciated.

Carer's Allowance - eligibility : Directgov - Caring for someone

Guide to financial support for carers : Directgov - Caring for someone

Just a quick browse on the direct gov website, so you might be able to steer yourself through it a little better than I, I don't understand why he is not entitled to attendance allowance?

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Guest Mrs Hobbit

The Attendants Allowance has to be assessed. it is not granted automatically. His GP needs to be in on this and make the recommendation.

The Job Centre is not the place, to get help for this. The CAB can guide you through the minefield of paperwork needed to be completed. the other source and this is along shot, if the grand-father is in council housing or a Housing Association, the Welfare officer who is au fait regarding benefits will be able to help.

Yes as the granddad is apparently not disabled enough he cannot get attendace allowance therefore my daughter cannot get carers allowance, but why not income support? On the direct.gov website it does say that 16/17 year old can get income support, has she been misinformed by the benefits agency and lost out on 6 months of money?

The Attendants Allowance has to be assessed. it is not granted automatically. His GP needs to be in on this and make the recommendation

Yes wasn't sure whether it is a means tested benefit or not.

So does the GP recommend a visit from an OT to assess?

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

I have just spoken with Connexions who said that for my daughter to receive benefits, i would have to present myself as jobless..great!! and she also suggested that I put my father into a home so that my daughter can work (that is not an option) What is going on with this world, we are trying our best but to no avail....i did say that we get nothing unless we are alcohol/drugs abusers to which she agreed. Thanks all for your help but unfortunately it looks like unless i can pay the mortgage arrears within a month we will be homless too. Never claimed benefits in my life but might have to weigh up the option to sign on, and look after my dad,then my daughter can work.Or muddle on and hope i can keep my house.

In order for your daughter to receive carers allowance (which she can do at age 17), she would need to be providing care for at least 35 hours a week. For both Carers Allowance and Income Support on the grounds of being a carer, the person she is caring for would need to be receiving DLA at the middle or higher care rate - or attendance allowance.

HOWEVER, if her grandfather for was to submit an application for DLA or AA she can claim IS on the ground of being a carer, for up to a maximum of 26 weeks whilst he awaits his decision. (note, however that if the decision is not to award AA, her IS claim would stop from then).

paragraph 20116 of the DMG here

IS (the basic conditions) paragraph 20022 cites the minimum age of the claimant as 16 - also in the above link.

Keep in mind that AA is not awarded on the condition itself or the medications required, but on the care which is required. Complete another application but this time get assistance from a Welfare organisation. If there are no Welfare organisations in your area (I know a hell of a lot are being cut at the moment due to funding) look up the DLA and AA DMG here to see how they would assess his condition.

Also look at the disability handbook and the A-Z of medical conditions. as well as the sources of evidence. These are all DWP resources which decision makers use to guide them in their decision. is will help you to complete the form better, as you will know what it is that they need to know.

There are also precedents you can use to help you, and more here

Hope this is helpful

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Cheers for looking in Erika, I was racking my brains trying to remember the best person to advise....;)

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, apologies for the delay but I am now working nights...yawn. I have an appointment with my fathers consultant this Monday, hopefully he will be able to provide me with some sort of letter confirming that my father needs constant attention....for instance this week his fingers have been numb and he has badly burnt his fingers while trying to make a cup of tea, he did not feel anything until hours later when the blisters appeared.