it the law to sell me a warranty

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5107 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I bought an iPad on Sunday, yes I know I know!

I told the young lad I only wanted the unit when he started waffling on about extras but he wouldnt have it.

He then said 'Its the law I have to go though this with you', he then tried to sell me a cover, a case, a screen protector, the he started on about warranties, so I just let him go on and said 'no' everytime he paused.

So what with this 'its the law I go through this with you' ?

I had this from a BMW car showroom. Was told that because they are regulated by the FSA they are required by law to inform us of ALL the products on offer through them. I suggested that was only the case if we were using ANY of their financial/insurance products - which we're not. They did have the decency to hurry it up but still went through the whole thing.

Some years ago I was considering buying a tax-free BMW whilst with the Forces in Germany. The local German dealer could supply a RHD, UK-spec model with only a short wait. The UK dealer that operates tax-free BMW sales quoted me a price almost 25% higher. WHen I pointed out the difference he told me that:

- he couldn't sell me a car without a sunroof (expensive extra), in order to protect me from a poor resale value

- UK authorised dealers wouldn't service German-sourced cars

- UK authorised dealers wouldn't take German-sourced cars in part-exchange

- a German-sourced car couldn't legally meet UK specs (where did he think BMWs are made?)

I contacted BMW UK who told me that they would take action against any dealer refusing to offer anything but the full range of services to the owner of any BMW. I bought my car from the German dealer.

Moral of the story: salesmen will say anything to get a sale.

Some years ago I was considering buying a tax-free BMW whilst with the Forces in Germany

Did you ever let NAAFI quote you for insurance? It was through Norwich Union and they still loaded the premium 10% extra if you had a left-hand drive car - in Germany!

I bought an iPad on Sunday, yes I know I know!

I told the young lad I only wanted the unit when he started waffling on about extras but he wouldnt have it.

He then said 'Its the law I have to go though this with you', he then tried to sell me a cover, a case, a screen protector, the he started on about warranties, so I just let him go on and said 'no' everytime he paused.

So what with this 'its the law I go through this with you' ?

Roughly translated; 'It's company policy that I go through this with you so I can try and rip you off and eran my comission'.

The 'law' bit is utter rubbish.

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my scales at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice usefull.

What they do haave to tell you by law is that other products are available elsewhere and that you do not have to take theirs.

Really???

He seemed more concerned to inform me that my home insurance would not cover my new purchase and that when I worked it out, the cost was only a few pounds per week.

I get to the point of irritation with them where I just leave the shop without purchasing anything!

He's have no idea what cover your home insurance had. This wasn;t PC World/Curry's was it? The Apple stores only offer Apple Care and if you don't want that, they complete the sale.

It was yes, I have walked out before when they harp on about warranties, and i came close this time, but wanted the unit so just let him waffle. The usually pause to let you say something but I just shook my head.

Ah - that explains it.

Serves you right, then! 8)

The DSG's desperate attempts at adding to their bottom line are legendary. I went to the Apple store for mine, as DSG do not value your custom. I see they haven't changed.