I've just been fined £80 for not having any road tax for 2 months

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5110 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Last year I went away so obv i didnt see the point in putting tax onto a car that would not leave my driveway, this week ive got a letter saying i owe them £80 for the privelage, do i have to pay this? it feels very unfair to be hinest

:evil:

Last year I went away so obv i didnt see the point in putting tax onto a car that would not leave my driveway, this week ive got a letter saying i owe them £80 for the privelage, do i have to pay this? it feels very unfair to be hinest

:evil:

Why do you think its unfair ?. Why didnt you just fill in a SORN ?

Andy

If you have not made a SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification) and your vehicle is not taxed, an automatic penalty of £80 will apply. Your vehicle could also be clamped and taken away from you.

There’s no way out

Your vehicle doesn’t need to be seen on the road for an offence to have been committed. The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) carries out a check of its records each month to identify untaxed vehicles. DVLA has the authority to carry out enforcement action against you using the information held on its records.

As well as this, DVLA works in partnership with the police and local authorities in operating wheelclamping schemes. Using Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) they identify, clamp and tow away untaxed vehicles.

Members of the public can also report an untaxed vehicle online or by calling the national untaxed vehicles telephone hotline.

thats disgusting really, im grateful for the the info but the way our governemnt can do things like this to people, im not even gonna register my next car to be hinest.

thats disgusting really, im grateful for the the info but the way our governemnt can do things like this to people, im not even gonna register my next car to be hinest.

Well..I havnt driven for a few years but even I am aware of the existant of SORN, its aim is is clearly to cut back on the number of untaxed vehicles, as a car owner you really should keep abreast of the laws relating to car ownership, I cant see how not registering (if even possible) is going to help, you'll sooner or later get pulled up by the cops and be in even deeper trouble. I found the costs of car ownership to be unaffordable and as I started commuting i didnt need a car so I got rid of it.

Andy

Edited by andydd

Every time you receive a road tax reminder it is plastered with SORN reminders, I know these things are annoying but it is the law, you are lucky that the car wasn't towed away, a lesson hard learned I'm afraid.

I have no legal training, any knowledge I have has come from this forum, and my own experiences. Always balance up any advice you get with your own common sense.