Reporting Wescot to Company House?

Guest HeftyHippo
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5078 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Guest HeftyHippo

I have a demand from Wescot, the first from them.

Their letter doesn't give their registered number or office, but it clearly states they are a Limited Company.

I've seen it mentioned on here about DCAs that don't comply with statutory requirements for Ltd Co's

What's the procedure for reporting them? I assume it's Companies House, is there any specific department or is there an online way of doing it?

Has anyone done this and what was the result?

I enquired of Companies House about breaches of the Companies Act with a bank not putting their registration details on business letters. The Act definitely says that information must be there. They replied they didn't know and would ask their legal department - and that is the last I heard of them. Useless, like all the regulatory authorities.

Guest HeftyHippo
I enquired of Companies House about breaches of the Companies Act with a bank not putting their registration details on business letters. The Act definitely says that information must be there. They replied they didn't know and would ask their legal department - and that is the last I heard of them. Useless, like all the regulatory authorities.

Not like you to be put off the scent of blood so easily!

does it list there consumer credit licence

No.

whole load of strange numbers up the side of the page which look like form/stationery reference or something but nothing with any title/prefix in front of it. Certainly the words "Registered" "Licence" or anything suggesting any registration or licence is held are absent.

Nearly half the page is a bank payment slip, and there is no information required by Companies House either above or below the slip. The words Wescot Credit Services Ltd are printed a couple of times.

It should be fairly easy to report them, there is no excuse for it. I have another from a bank that also doesn't bare any info either.

Guest HeftyHippo

Thanks broken arrow.

another couple of complaints to make. (sigh)

I wasn't put off Hippo - you should know me better than that!:lol: I used it anyway to frighten the Bejesus out of them! I haven't hear a cheep from them since and that was 3 years ago.:D

It is a criminal offence for it not to be there on all documents and forms.

I know that Vint and I wanted it confirmed but the staff at Companies House didn't know. They said they were referring it to their legal department and disappeared. As I said, useless. They all are - the FOS, ICO - they don't know anything about consumer law.

"However, your company letterhead and order form need to follow several legal requirements. If you fail to implement these then hard work and vital cash will have been wasted.

Thankfully the requirements are simple. They also vary by the type of business run.

If you are a sole trader you can trade under your own name or you can choose a different business name. If you choose a business name that is not your own name, you must include your own name and the business address on all letterheads and order forms.

If you are a partnership business your letterheads, order forms, receipts and even invoices must include the names of all partners and the address of the main office. If there are many partners then it is also acceptable to state where a list of partners may be found.

If your company is trading as a limited company the letterhead and order form stationary (whether printed or electronic versions) must include:

• Your full registered company name
  • The company registration number and place of registration
  • The company registered address and the address of its place of business, if different
  • There is no need to include the names of the directors on the letterhead for a limited company, but if you choose to name directors all directors must be named"

Details of registered office etc to appear on company websites and e-mails by 31 December 2006

A little noticed amendment to the Companies Act 1985 will shortly come into force requiring a company's website and e-mails to include the same details as are required for its stationery. Draft regulations are available on the DTI website at http://www.dti.gov.uk/files/file35183.doc (though at the time of writing some of the references to sections of the Companies Act 1985 appear to be wrong).

On 31 December 2006 all companies will have to ensure that their websites, business letters and order forms (both hard and soft copy) contain the company's full name in legible characters and its place of registration, company number and registered office – in other words, the details which currently appear on the company letterhead. Companies and their officers are liable to a fine if they are in breach of these provisions.

So before New Year's Eve you need to ensure that somewhere on your website you have these statutory details, and that they appear on all hard and soft copy business letters and order forms. Rather than worry whether an e-mail sent by a company amounts to a "business letter" or not, it will be advisable to ensure that all e-mails sent on company business contain these details in the standard rubric at the end.

I know that Vint and I wanted it confirmed but the staff at Companies House didn't know. They said they were referring it to their legal department and disappeared. As I said, useless. They all are - the FOS, ICO - they don't know anything about consumer law.
I thought I recalled you going down this road before.

Guest HeftyHippo

Thanks Vint, I was sure it was a criminal offence. As said above, I have a letter from Wescot and a letter from a bank that don't contain the details. I reported the matter to the bank and said I was minded to report it, but they haven't responded. They printed the latter on plain paper not a letterhead so it is likely to be a mistake (but they should've spotted it and not sent it out)

Wescot on the other hand sent out a template letter that obviously doesn't have the details and so is probably breaking the law many times over, and quite deliberately.

It would be nice if Co House made reporting this kind of offence easy. As it is I'll look them up and see if they have an email to send it to rather than the post

Guest HeftyHippo

Well, contacted Companies House and they've told me they'll investigate if I give them the details.

Copy of offending letter emailed, and acknowledged. Now just to wait and see

CH contact details, inc email:

Contact Us

details required to be shown and consequences of not doing so:

Trading Disclosures

Apparently, "for anyone who has business with a company":

Q. Can I request company's information in writing?

A. Yes. From October 2008 a person may request in writing information from the company it deals with including; the address of its registered office, any inspection place and the type of company records kept at that office or place. The company must send a written response to that person within five working days of the receipt of that request.

Another way to torment lowlifes...

I think when I send prove it or go away letters, I'll add another couple of lines at the bottom...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest HeftyHippo

oh, well, an update.

CH asked for copies of all the paperwork, and discovered in small print, on the BACK of the paper, the required details. Easily overlooked as it was under all the gubbings they put on about how to pay, etc. (I simply glanced at the back, saw it was 'how to pay' and ignored it)

CH tell me the there is no prescribed format for the info as long as it is displayed. So, I imagine they can stick the info anywhere in any size or colour as long as its there. Not withstanding the fact that a person with reasonable eyesight may not be able to read it. So, howabout grey text on white paper, font size 8pt?

Shortsighted piece of legislation if you ask me. But at least CH responded in a few days. Information Commissioner's Office should take note.

Edited by HeftyHippo

Guest HeftyHippo

exactly Vint. I genuinely didn't see their company details because it was in the MIDDLE of a load of other stuff: the top of the page was full of payment gibberish, Direct Debit guarantee etc; the bottom was the rear side of a bank payment slip and intended to be cut off. In between, (as CH said, 'just above the Alliance and Leicester logo') is their details. Half way up the REVERSE side of a letter head, in amongst other text? Could you put it in a less obvious place? Couldn't be trying to hide it could they? But, according to CH they are allowed to do that. Plain Stupid.

• 4 weeks later...