hmrc stat demand/bankruptcy application

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5124 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have a large tax bill £40k with a ccj against it I recieved a stat demand and started using a tax help company who tried to set up an arrangement to pay over a 5year period

The revenue have now refused this offer and are asking me to cough up or they will issue Bankruptcy petition

I have considerable assets in my home but it is rented out to pay the mortgage and my ex wife wont let me drop the price to sell it in order to pay the tax bill

what tactics can I use to

A fight of the bankruptcy proceedings

B get the revenue to accept the payment plan

C force my ex to sell the house at a lower price

upsndowns

I didnt make any application for payment plan with the court I simply let the revenue get the ccj so it is an order for payment in full never disputed

I have been making payments for the last 3 months to a tax management company ( abit like an iva) but according to the reveue it will take too long to pay off (7 years)

You usually have 18 days to set aside a statutory demand, have these 18 days yet passed? If not, apply to have the demand set aside and try to negotiate a repayment plan with them.

Otherwise, if the bankruptcy petition hearing goes ahead, you could spea with your ex wife to let her know just how serious this is, and if they make you bankrupt, it is likely the property would be sold anyway (or if jointly owned, your share of equity affected). At the hearing you could go to represent yourself, and explained you have tried your very best to pay them back at a sustainable amount etc. If they choose to grant the bankruptcy petition, and make you bankrupt, you will have to find out how your property would be dealt with in bankruptcy - see the following link which may help:

Bankruptcy - The Home

All the best

• 4 weeks later...

HMRC stat demand issued to my partner despite paying weekly £175. Since November 2007 paid nearly £20000 and still say he owes £11500 !!! His tax liability has been £4500 per year for the last three years. He also has vat arrears. Been tryin to get his sorted out even they admit they cannot understand how payments have been apportioned. They have already rejected a payment plan. Accountant now trying hard to get them to except a payment plan while waiting for PPI reclaim money to be settled via the FOS and Lloyds TSB/ also trying to arrange a remortgage as he has plenty of equity in his house. Contacted a tax expert and he admits the tax is a real mess but at £150 per hour very costly to get this sorted out. Not sure if i need to get a solicitor to do a set aside again more costs.Or do we do the set aside ourselves ? Its all such a nightmare can't sleep or eat at the moment. What do i do ?

HMRC stat demand issued to my partner despite paying weekly £175. Since November 2007 paid nearly £20000 and still say he owes £11500 !!! His tax liability has been £4500 per year for the last three years. He also has vat arrears. Been tryin to get his sorted out even they admit they cannot understand how payments have been apportioned. They have already rejected a payment plan. Accountant now trying hard to get them to except a payment plan while waiting for PPI reclaim money to be settled via the FOS and Lloyds TSB/ also trying to arrange a remortgage as he has plenty of equity in his house. Contacted a tax expert and he admits the tax is a real mess but at £150 per hour very costly to get this sorted out. Not sure if i need to get a solicitor to do a set aside again more costs.Or do we do the set aside ourselves ? Its all such a nightmare can't sleep or eat at the moment. What do i do ?

It is possible to deal with the SD as an LIP. Please visit the Debt Collection Industry forum here:

Debt Collection Industry - The Consumer Forums

Use the search facility to find threads that deal with SDs and would be a good idea to repost your questions there or give a link for this post :)

You should be requesting a SAR to find out where his payments have been going.

With regard to costs, if your set aside is granted you can claim costs but have to fax or post them to the claimant and the court to arrive no later than 24 hours before the hearing.

• Haha 1