HSBC - Bypassing the automated phone system

Can_Do_Network
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4118 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I heard this from Martin Lewis on a radio 2 show, and thought I would pass it on.

When you call the HSBC on 08457 404404 you are required to enter the following details:

• Account Number
  • Date Of Birth
  • 2 Digits from your security pin

Then, it says "please wait while I obtain your balance" tick tick tick..."Your balance is £232132132" That's great if you want your balance. But if you need to speak to a real person at the branch, you still have to go through the same routine.

Now, to bypass this system, Just hit the STAR (*) key and the HASH (#) key several times, like this:

**#*##***####**

The system will go all screwy and put you through to a real person! BINGO!

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=blue][B][U]HSBC - Claim for £838.50[/U][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=red]OFFER of £754.57 received 9/08/06 - ACCEPTED :-) [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial][COLOR=#ff0000][B]£50 Donated to the CAG - Thanks guys![/B][/COLOR][/FONT] [FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=blue][B][U]MBNA Credit Card - Claim for £464[/U][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=red][B]06/10/06 - Account credited in FULL £464:D [/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=blue][B][U]Capital One Credit Card - Claim for £440[/U][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]18/09/06 - Offer of £184 as goodwill gesture & increase of interest rates to 35% [/SIZE][/FONT] Currently taking landlord to court for TDS Non Compliance - [URL="http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/residential-commercial-lettings/187545-tds-non-compliance-case.html"]See THIS THREAD[/URL][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1] [/SIZE][/FONT]

Very useful infomation Can_Do_Network, I'm sure it'll come in useful for someone.:)

Thanks.

Regards,

Tom3131.

Before you take any legal action, please read through the

FAQ's, then if you dont understand something, please ask for advice ;) .

If theres a thread in which you think I could help, please PM me using the Private Messaging facility in the top right hand corner of the screen.

Advice & opinions of tom3131, The Consumer Action Group and The Bank Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you ha

Ok, well I have designed these sort of Call Handling systems, and it's not that the system goes screwey, it is the error routine that it runs through.

Essentially, if the system gets several invalid responses it will fail over to a specific set of call agents.

All you need to do is to give the system a number of invalid responses, this is usally 3. And Yes, the Hash (#) is usually used as a confirmation button, so hit that a few times ;-)

TBH, I don't see much point in this, since if you answer those questions, the call centre agent will already know who you are. If you don't, then you only end up having to answer them again when you go through (and again should you be transferred). Sadly, the callcentre-wallah in India are too narrowly trained, so the old trick of trying the bill payment line doesn't work.

I remember once getting annoyed with a Lloyds call centre operative. I called up, asked for Mr. Again Sr. at the branch he was at for the day (I had a direct line for his usual workplace), and the operator insisted that she couldn't put me through if I didn't give her my account number. No amount of "I'm calling in an official capacity with a matter of the utmost importance" would get her to change. (I was calling in my official capacity as eldest son, and the important matter was the birthday of his wife :rolleyes: )

HSBCLloyds TSBcontractual interestNew Tax Creditscoming for you?NTL/Virgin Media

Never give in ... Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. Churchill, 1941

TBH, I don't see much point in this, since if you answer those questions, the call centre agent will already know who you are. If you don't, then you only end up having to answer them again when you go through (and again should you be transferred).quote]

You'd think so wouldnt you, never happen when I call Capital One though, enter card details etc, then as soon as I get through to a person get asked for them all again, most annoying :|

I just prefer to speak to a person rather than sit there like a lemming tapping in my details. Call me old fashoined :-)

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=blue][B][U]HSBC - Claim for £838.50[/U][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=red]OFFER of £754.57 received 9/08/06 - ACCEPTED :-) [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial][COLOR=#ff0000][B]£50 Donated to the CAG - Thanks guys![/B][/COLOR][/FONT] [FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=blue][B][U]MBNA Credit Card - Claim for £464[/U][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=red][B]06/10/06 - Account credited in FULL £464:D [/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=blue][B][U]Capital One Credit Card - Claim for £440[/U][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]18/09/06 - Offer of £184 as goodwill gesture & increase of interest rates to 35% [/SIZE][/FONT] Currently taking landlord to court for TDS Non Compliance - [URL="http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/residential-commercial-lettings/187545-tds-non-compliance-case.html"]See THIS THREAD[/URL][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1] [/SIZE][/FONT]

I just prefer to speak to a person rather than sit there like a lemming tapping in my details. Call me old fashoined :-)

Fine, but since HSBC seem to have the first system I've encountered where it actually *does* remember your details, I'd rather tap it all in once, and not have to reveal any part of my security information to a human where possible. More importantly, I don't have to repeat everything to each of the half-dozen callcentrewallah I end up speaking to.

HSBCLloyds TSBcontractual interestNew Tax Creditscoming for you?NTL/Virgin Media

Never give in ... Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. Churchill, 1941

• 6 years later...

Hitting the STAR (*) key and the HASH (#) key several times didn't work for me.

Their phone system kept asking me to enter the security code.

In the end, I did it by calling the number for Non-HSBC Customers. I got straight

through. It is on the HSBC web site

• 1 month later...
Been a while since I used HSBC's system, but ignoring the initial requests for details (i.e. press nothing) was sufficient. It would ask 3 times and then put you through to a human.

Get that a lot with utility companies. Usually enter random numbers several times until it say dont recognise then you get transferred to a human.

Even if you do enter the correct details when you are put through the person on the other end will ask you for all the details again.

They have this system so they can charge you more on the phone bill, its a joke I know!

I went all the way to court to seek compensation for "damage to creditworthiness" against HSBC. I lost unfortunately.