Pending tribunal

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5162 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Please can someone advise...

My employeer recently fired a friend. During his disaplinary meetings - my friend asked me to attend with his as his personal witness (under the 'friend or colleague' rule).

A few weeks later my boss offered to give me a lift home from work, he never does that, on the way back - he quite blatently suggested that I would HAVE NO CHOICE but to give evidence against my friend and for the company if this went to tribunal. He was basically trying scare tactics to get me to talk my friend out of proceeding. I know this is way out of order from a moral standing, however my question is would any judge presiding over the tribunal allow the company to call me as THEIR witness, when I was quite clearly my friends witness from the start?

Thanks for your help.

D.

What a crappy thing to say. I'm not sure of the legal specifics, but it seems to me that your boss might well be guilty of nothing less than a criminal offence here, surely this is inciting someone to commit purjury / attempting to pervert the course of justice? (Anyone?)

As I understand it, you have legal protection from being subjected to any detriment for accompanying a colleague to a disciplinary hearing.

I certainly think an ET Chairperson would find it very strange that having attended a disciplinary as a representative, you would then attend an ET and give evidence against the Applicant. Don't know if they would actually disallow you to give evidence. I think the Employer would have to be extremely desperate to risk you giving evidence against your will.

What I'd do is try and gather any evidence you can that the employer is pressuring you into lying at ET. It could land them in big trouble.

You can entirely decline as well.

No you can't!

If either side feels the OPs evidence is essential they can ask (and would probably get) a witness order. If the OP then fails to give evidence they would be in contempt of court.

However, there are not many circumstances where it is wise to force a witness to appear against their will. Loose cannons spring to mind.

Attempting to intimidate a witness into lying is a criminal offence. As is giving perjured evidence. An employer in Scotland was sent to prison for this recently.

PLEASE NOTE:

I limit myself to responding to threads where I feel I have enough knowledge to make a useful contribution. My advice (and indeed any advice on this type of forum) should only be seen as a pointer to something you may wish to investigate further. Never act on any forum advice without confirmation from an accountable source.

I believe the ET judge can order a witness to attend, it may be best if your friend gets the ET judge to order you to attend, that way you have to go and your company has no say in it.

Of course you are I suppose a hostile witness in your firms eyes.

It doesn't matter which side calls you as a witness. You may be called upon to give evidence against them, but the evidence you give shall be yours and yours alone. If that evidence supports your friend, there is nothing they can do about it so long as it's truthful.

Even in criminal prosecutions, the CPS will cite witnesses for the prosecution - against the accused. However the witness is there to ask questions which is put to him from both sides. On many occasions, a prosecution witness' evidence actually supports the defendent. The evidence you shall give shall be the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. So, strictly speaking, you don't give evidence for or against somebody. You tell the court what you know. The court decides whether it goes in favour of a person or not.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)