• Tweets

• Is the letter headed Letter of Claim/before Claim or similar? If not, it sounds like more of the threatogram chain. If you're not sure, post up an anonymised copy of the letter and we'll check. HB
    • So guess what, we have received a final demand letter for £100. It states if payment is not made by 11/06 they will have no option but to forward the case to their litigation dept with a view to commence County Court Proceedings. So just wondering if anyone has any advice. Do we ignore this? or do we need to take action? Thanks 
    • hi dx, thanks for helping just re-reading everything this morning and I must have missed this one from uncle in his thread "What you should not do, is not contact the Banks and simply default on payments. "  are you in disagreement with this based on your last sentence?
    • Thanks for the reply and clarification, that might just explain why in my case contact has pretty much ceased. Though with such companies it doesn't mean they won't ever threaten to return to court as a tool to force one's hand if they feel they are not self informed on their chances etc.  But concerning how last year they tried to use the CCJ to get a charging order and the court granted an intirum order on our mortgage using the CCJ that would have been a good 2-3 months beyond the 6 years, should the court not have checked the age of the CCJ in the first case or would they always grant an interim order simply off the back of a CCJ being produced without even checking the age of it?.  Had I not defended that action at the time they may well have got a default using a CCJ older than 6 years which could be a concern going forwards. At the time when I contacted the court to question the paperwork for a final order application the clerk suggested people don't get informed when companies apply for interim charging orders, they are automatic if a claimant has a CCJ and people only get contacted once a date for a final order application goes through. kind of begs the question if such companies can continue a seemingly backdoor method to attempt default action if un-defended if the initial application doesn't need to check the age of a CCJ?.
    • Hello!  Wondering if someone can help with this.  I suspect not but worth a go.  I appreciate the "contract is with the seller" line, which is what Evri has fed me but wanted to see if someone with experience in these things could suggest anything else I could do here.  I appreciate there are many topics about lost parcels - My parcels weren't lost, until the driver walked up to my door with them and then decided to make them lost/stolen... I'll summarise what has happened.  Wednesday of last week - Evri delivery driver stole / walked off with 3 of my parcels.  -  Arrived outside my properly, took photos (3 separate photos as its 3 separate deliveries) of the tops of the parcels (pointlessly zoomed in on just the labels, couldn't see anything else, other than a small piece of the pavement and a little weed, which doubly confirms it was outside my door as I can see the same plant), marked the order as delivered and walked off with them.  He's marked on the Evri GPS marked that he was outside.   -  3 different deliveries, from the same company (same boxes etc.), but 3 separate tracking numbers. -  Went through the Evri bot which opened a case on each tracking number.  I then phoned them and left a voicemail explaining what had happened. -  24 hours later had a canned response asking me if the packages had turned up and to check around etc..  I responded explaining again what happened and that they've definitely been taken. -  4 days later,  this morning, I get a response telling me to ask the merchant to refund me. I've responded to this message with a long email, repeating what I said, that I believe the driver has stolen these packages and that he took those suspicious top down shots of the packages, marked them as delivered without ringing or knocking etc.  I've said that I expect them to investigate further, but I gather they won't. In my several messages to them initially and later, I told them I don't care about a refund and wanted the parcels.  They contain some sentimental stuff, nothing of high monetary value, hence me going to this trouble.  I only paid £25 for the contents. I did contact the merchant when this first happened and they asked me to wait a few days.  They ended up refunding me despite me asking them not to and that I wanted them to escalate it with Evri because this appears to be a case of theft.  They didn't seem bothered - Refunded me and told me to go back to Evri and escalate it with them? So - Is there any way to compel Evri to conduct a proper investigation with this driver?  Search for my parcels? I have quite a lot of deliveries handled by Evri (not out of choice) - They used to have a fantastic chap and I rarely had any issues.  He has been replaced by a new guy and I believe the route is handled by this same guy who I believe has taken my packages.  Naturally, I fear this is going to happen again in the future if no investigation occurs. Appreciate any assistance - Thanks for reading. Al.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Grievance -help please

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4989 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Off the top of my head, I don't think your employer can refuse a companion who falls within the guidelines of colleague or union rep, but I believe a colleague can decline to be there. Of course, they're not meant to be picked on for attending a meeting, but it depends on how they see the company culture.

There's more on this on the ACAS website and also directgov if you have time to look.

HB x

Illegitimi non carborundum

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Update: after two weeks letter from works director. Very sarcastic that I will not meet MD -(as you know he is part of grievance and he knows this as well) now suggested he will meet me for an informal chat. Then he will discuss with md. Unfortunately I cannot get a formal meeting as advised by all, been advised by sol to request notes after the meeting and also agenda for meeting -any suggestions as sol on holiday for two weeks.

Works direct -states due to size of company and limited resources -all grievance meetings are informal. My solicit suspects though it will end at a tribunal -and therefore I will need notes etc from the meeting.

Despite my sol saying it is not a redundancy situation -as if they finish me they will have to employ someone else to prepare accounts -cannot be done inhouse. This letter today again mentions possibility of redundancy situation in accounts.

Any advise please, help or suggestions, don't really feel that I can wait two weeks for sol to return -but have been off seven months trying to resolve.

Letter states I can take companion providing that the companion does not delay the meeting due to his/her availability etc.

Please, recently had sick not for three months -severly affected by stress, and having read this letter just totally stressed out even more.

He also says they require medical evidence of sickness -sick note recently sent in what else can they do.

Also asking about my disability claim -I have not heard a thingnd anyway he will know more than me as it is employer sponsored and they hear first.

Dont know what to do, who to contact please help me!!!!

Hi again. There's nothing to stop you taking your own notes of this meeting and giving a copy to your [nasty] employer afterwards, I would say. It's always good to have your own version of events. Or you could record the meeting, just so there's no argument :).

Please, recently had sick not for three months -severly affected by stress, and having read this letter just totally stressed out even more.

He also says they require medical evidence of sickness -sick note recently sent in what else can they do.

I don't know. I'd be inclined to ask him. The sicknote is still current, is it?

Also asking about my disability claim -I have not heard a thingnd anyway he will know more than me as it is employer sponsored and they hear first.

Dont know what to do, who to contact please help me!!!!

Do you mean about the disability claim? It's an insurance policy taken out by your employer is it? You would normally go through the company. As it's their policy [assuming I've got this right], the insurer won't talk to you without authorisation. Does you employee handbook tell you who deals with it? Otherwise I would start with HR.

HB x

Yes, company policy -disability scheme, so company will hear about decision etc before me -don't know why director is asking me what is happening. I realise insurer won't talk to me -why is employer asking me -they should be contacting insurance to find out -not me surely?.

Will ask about recording the meeting -as works director see it as a chat and not a meeting.

Yes, company policy -disability scheme, so company will hear about decision etc before me -don't know why director is asking me what is happening. I realise insurer won't talk to me -why is employer asking me -they should be contacting insurance to find out -not me surely?.

Will ask about recording the meeting -as works director see it as a chat and not a meeting.

Hi there. I agree about the disability scheme, how are you meant to know, telepathy? Normally the HR or pension people would deal with that, are they doing that as far as you know?

I haven't re-read your thread, but if it were me going to the meeting, I'd be checking out the directgov and ACAS websites for the procedures, in case your lovely people decide not to follow them.

HB x

Guest Jason King

This seems to have gone on for months, unfortunately, you may now be out of time to bring a case to the Employment Tribunal.

Some employers drag out a grievance on purpose for this reason.

Hello Jason, gorgeous as ever, I see. Do you still smell of Brut, I think it was?

I don't think the employer disability/sickness insurance should be affected by timescale.

If they're dragging out the grievance for the reasons you say, then shame on them.

HB x

• 2 weeks later...

Letter received -disability insurance have registered claim. They will now begin processing.

This is six weeks since I returned the forms to my employer -clearly he was in no hurry to foward the forms to the insurance company.

No suprise really -and yet the works director was asking me how the claim was going -he must have known at that point it hadn't even been received by the insurance company.

This is getting me more and more stressed out -they just seem to be dragging everything out. I have a hospital admission in just over a week -for a major op -and will not be able to drive for six/eight weeks or do anything for around twelve weeks -work will probably finally settle on a meeting during this period although I won't be up to going anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

Contact from employer.

He has decided my role is to be reduced from 36.5 hrs to 15 hrs. And he will engage services of a firm of accountants for 2.5 days per month.

Therefore they will be doing work, I have previously undertake.

I am given the option to accept -or reject.

If I reject is it redundancy -as he is engaging somebody already to undertake my role.

How can 36.5 hours be completed in 15 hours.

I have just been in hospital for total abdominal hysterectomy -and have been out only a week -MD is insisting a meeting is held next week -as he is then on holiday for two weeks.

Unfortunately, this is not possible, I also have a burst haematoma, which is being dressed everyday -and could take 12 weeks for me to re-cover from surgery -still very ill and painful. Obviously cannot drive for at least another 8 weeks.

Md stated, I have not tried to resolve grievance -despite me sending numerous requests for a meeting -to no avail.

I have not had anything on disability ins at present -and have completed numerous forms -these should have been completed in FEB -nothing since from employer -re pay -although contract states 50% pau under disability scheme for long term sickness -therefore four months here -suggest half pay is due for this.

What views do you have on 15 hours and still engaging someone else?

It may be a couple of days before I log on for any replies -as I am resting as much as possible -and not feeling up to spending time on computer etc at present.

Sounds like discrimination to me, have you read anything about the DDA, the disibility discrimination act ?

My advice is, phone up ACAS again (they are really helpful) and then a phone call to an employment solicitor in your area.

It wont cost you anything to talk to a solicitor over the phone.

Meetings held in your absence are very very dodgy ground in deed, especially if you're signed off and unable to physically attend the meeting.

As long as you have the grievances in place, the longer they take the worst it looks if it does go to tribunal. Theres a 3 month limit for lodging grievances ( ie, incident happens, i have 3 months to file a grievance then its too late)

An employment tribunal will look very very closely at why this has taken so long for the company to resolve the grievance.

• 4 weeks later...

As you know I have an ongoing grievance from last October -they were not willing to have a meeting to discuss unless MD present.

Solicitor was acting -now no longer acting based on letter from employer -the letter states I have two options:

1-take a new contract -15 hours per week, then he will ehgage services from outside -accountant 2.5 days per month to assist.

2-face possibly redundancy situation

He insists that my work has now been taken over by HR partially,and theref ore I will be able to complete workload in 15 hours -worked over 3 days. HR has never been busy, and has always said if there is a redundancy she would go first as she is not at full capacity.

I am still off with stress, and recovering from my hysterectomy -which I have had complications and am having nurses in still everyday as I developed a haematoma.

I therefore look like being off at least another eight weeks due to hysterectomy.

Can I be made redundant whilst on sick?

Employer wishes to gain copy of my doctors notes?

I have worked for employer 11 years, I have 16 days holiday from last year plus the accrued days from this year. I also have unpaid overtime.

My contract states that I would be entitled to 50% pay whilst off -due to disability insurance. However, since Feb, I have not received pay from work, forms were completed in April for insurance and I have heard nothing since -although my doctors have recently completed a questionnaire. As this is included in my contract then surely I should have been paid 50% pay from feb to date.

I am unable to drive at present, live in the country and cannot get much help at all.

Can anyone please advise me:

If I don't accept 15 hous -is it redundancy?

Holidays will be accruing and pay will be due from this year?

Overtime worked from 2009 -still to be paid?

Redundancy will be 11*380 plus -three months notice?

Money due for sickness as per contract of employment-50% since feb?

Any help appreciated-thanks

Hello again. I'm sorry things are no better for you.

My first advice would be that if this relates to your last thread, it would help us to advise you if you merge them. To do this, you click on the red triangle at the bottom of your post, 'report' it to the site team and ask them to merge the two.

Please can you remind us how long you've been off sick? I can't remember how long you were to receive 50% pay from the employer and when the insurance kicked in.

April does seem a long time to get the insurance claim through and in payment, what have they actually told you about it? I wonder why your doctor only recently filled in a questionnaire, because the insurers are unlikely to pay out without seeing that.

A caring employer might advance the payments to you pending the insurance claim, but then if it wasn't paid, they might not get the money back. It's different thing it they've held it up, possibly.

If you would clarify about how much your contract of employment says you'll be paid and the lead-in time for the PDI [Disability Insurance], I'll try to advise you further.

As to work wanting to see your records, I doubt if your GP would release everything. Why do they want the information, and who will it go to? Before they can ask, work will have to have a form signed by you, saying that you agree to the information being released. You are entitled to see what your GP has written about you before it's sent and you could also go and see your GP to discuss the report they want. All this is covered under the Access to Medical reports legislation.

I would also want to know who will see the report and that it will be kept properly, in line with the Data Protection guidelines.

I hope that helps a bit.

HB

I have been off since mid October. I am entitled to 11 weeks full pay and 11 weeks half pay (1week for each year of service).I had 4 weeks last July -following surgery and therefore was left with 7 weeks at full and 11 weeks at half. Payments ceased at the end of February.

My contract states:

The company operates a long term disability scheme based on 50% of salary , plus a 5% maximum esvalation cover.

This was only instigated after I made numerous requests -I have not heard anything for a while though.

Good point about -who will see the report from my Gp and the fact that it will be kept in line with data protection guidelines.

Many thanks for the above advice.

I have asked for the post to be merged -thanks.

'My contract states:

The company operates a long term disability scheme based on 50% of salary , plus a 5% maximum esvalation cover.

This was only instigated after I made numerous requests -I have not heard anything for a while though.'

Thank you for that. Do the LTD scheme rules state how long the waiting/deferment period is for the policy please? I would be chasing this with HR, if you feel up to it. Have they said anything at all?

HB

PS escalation means that the benefit increases in payment, so would increase by up to 5% one year from the date the LTD started to be paid, if it carries on that long. It could be 5% or the RPI, depends on the policy.

Edited by honeybee13
PS

My HR has been a total waste of time -when I first was told about the situation she said to me "you are made of strong stuff and you can deal with it", when I asked for a copy of grievance procedure etc -nothing was forthcoming until I emailed her my request.

I don't have sight of any policy re the disability ins -this is dealt with by the works director-th HR has never been involved. I only know in the past that when a member of staff had used up her sick leave entitlement -then she was paid 50% straight through -and we offset the receipts from the insurance against the payments. I know this from preparing the accounts.

I think I will ask the MD again what is happening. I will acknowledge his letter, ask about the consent form-gp, ask about holiday entitlement 2009 and 2010, ask about unpaid overtime and say that I will reply to his letter in due course. I visit the doctors again next week -subject to be able to get a lift there -or I will have to try and get a home visit. I have not been anywhere at all for 6 weeks now.

Once again, thanks for advice.

Hello there. I'm sorry life is so tough for you. Six weeks in one place can't be fun.

I think you should query things with the works director, don't see any reason why not. You're entitled to information in my opinion, but I'm sure you won't be aggressive about asking. :)

There should be something in writing about the policy, in the employee handbook or maybe your contract or particulars of employment. Some companies have it on the intranet, but I don't know if yours does this or if you have access to it from home. I would still be interested to know what the waiting period is for the policy, if you are able to find out.

Sadly, in smaller companies, the LTD policy is often dealt with by someone who doesn't really understand it. If it's any consolation, payments should be backdated if you qualify under the scheme, but is sounds from the outside as if someone has sat on the papers.

Please post any other questions if we can help.

HB x

I would suggest that you write a letter to your employers requesting that any further contact be by letter only as you are keeping a record of correspondence. If you are contacted by telephone, write up a record of that telephone call immediately afterwards as a Telephone Note with the date of the contact, who you spoke to and what was said/agreed.

Letter from my disability insurance-come via my emplyer.

The insurance company have declined liability in respect of the claim because my ongoing absence is as a result of issues within the workplace-rather than an illness or injury.

Any advice please?

My contract includes payment-my works director did make a comment once when the previous company declined to cover me due to my back problem -he said that if I was off then work would still have to pay me because it is in my contract of employment.

My employer is aware that they have declined -as he has sent the form to me.

Advice please-what do you think now?

Hello again. Thank you for the reminder, it had shipped my mind overnight. Terrible memory, sorry.

Right, I can see the angle the insurer are trying. What we need is the exact clause in the policy that allows them to do that. The insurer won't deal with you direct unless the director authorises them to, usually in writing/email, it depends on the company. If he would agree to that, then you can argue directly with them, but it's up to him.

Otherwise you could email him something and ask him to forward it, so it's less work for him, poor thing. If he doesn't know what he's doing, and it sounds as if he doesn't, then making his life easier might speed things up.

Is there a broker involved in running the scheme, or did one set it up, do you know? A decent broker would be intervening and arguing with the insurer if they were in the wrong.

Let's get hold of the wording, unless you have anything on claims in your employee handbook that would shed any light on this. After that, your recourse is probably the fos, but that takes time.

If you want to PM the name of the insurer, or put it on here if you feel able to, I'll check out their terms later if it's on the interweb. I can't do that until later today though.

One aspect I'd like the others to comment on is the work-related aspect of your stress. Is that the definite diagnosis you have, in writing? I believe that the HSE and maybe others, can view work-related stress as an industrial injury, I think it's classed as.

Those are my thoughts for now, I'll leave it with you and check in later.

HB x

Thank you very much for this advice -I really appreciate the advice from you.

There is a broker involved -when I contacted the broker - he sent me rather a 'blunt' reply -saying he could not deal with me at all as it is an employer sponsored insurance. We have never been issued with any policy details whatever on the scheme -and as for the MD -he has no idea of what he is doing anyway.

The company is UNUM.

I have a definite diagnosis of work related stress -this has been on every sick note I have received from my GP-the doctor has included on my notes details of the work issue and that he does not see my health improving until the work issue is resolved. Also noted the lack of contact from my employer -since May 10th -when I made contact to my employer -there was no reply until 30th June -when MD stated he wanted a reply asap.

I do therefore have written confirmation from my GP-of work related stress. I also went for counselling in January -for my initail assessment -there was a huge waiting list though for further sessions -they did confirm that I would require further sessions.

I had a call a couple of weeks ago and they are calling me again in August -as I am still not up to going due to my operation/complications.

I am trying to find as much infor as poss -but not able to spend long on the computer at a time as I am still tired/drained etc from my op.

Once again, many thanks for your help and advice-very much appreciated.

Thank you for coming back with that, and for your nice manners :).

I don't suppose you know the name of the exact policy your employer has with Unum please? I think you should be asking to see a copy of the policy terms and if they don't make with it, you may need to consider a subject access request, but it would be nice to avoid that.

I think the broker is hiding behind the employee sponsored thing rather. As I said, s/he can be authorised to deal with you, the same as Unum.

I'll have a look at the Unum website anyway, to see if there are any cures.

HB x

Me again. This is what UNUM's website says about claims.

'5.1.4 How ill or injured must the member be?

The claimant must satisfy the Definition of Incapacity chosen for the policy. The policy will make clear which definition is in use.'

So a copy of the policy document would help, or the exact wording of what your employer chose to offer.

Hope that helps.

HB x