holiday pay

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5194 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I work in a pre-school and am paid an hourly rate. The pre-school is open 9 -12.00 noon and I have to start work at 8 am to get the hall ready for the children. My employer says that my holiday pay only includes the hourly rate for 9-12.00 and the 8 -9 am hour is overtime and not included in holiday pay. As I have to work from 8am shouldn't this form part of my contracted hours and therefore be included in my holiday pay entitlement?

Help appreciated

:mad:

Edited by SusieQ33
spelling error

Hi Susieq.

What do your Terms & Conditions of Employment say about the number of hours that you are contracted to work?

Are you paid a salary for those contracted hours?

Was it accepted practice that you had to start your duties at 8.00 am when you started in that position.

My gut feeling is that if you are on a Salary you will have grounds for a Grievance or if you are on a variable hours contract then you should get the extra hour included in your holiday pay by right.

Beau

Please note: I am not a lawyer and as such any advice I give is purely from a laymans point of view;-)

Hi there

Thanks for replying

My work schedule states

Hours of work: Mon 8am to 12.00pm

Tues 8am to 12.00pm

Wed 8am to 12.00pm

Thu 8am to 12.00pm

Fri 8am to 3.15pm

At the bottom of the schedule is says '' only contracted hours are included in the holiday pay '' Sometimes if someone can't work staff will cover so that is overtime but i can't see that if it is on your schedule it can be classed as overtime.

In my job description it states that I have to help set up the hall in the mornings.

The pre-school opens at 9am so my employer - the chair of committee ( we are a committee run pre-school ) says that 8-9am is classed as overtime!!!

I think that she is wrong

;)

thanks for your help

Edited by SusieQ33
added a bit

Hi Susie. From what you've just posted, it reads to me that you work 8am-12pm most days. If it's in your contract, doesn't that make them errrm.. 'contractual hours'?

It sounds as if the chairman is rewriting the rules, or trying to, but it's law. Maybe she thinks setting up the hall isn't actually work? :) The logic baffles me - I can't wait to see Elpulpo's reply to this one!

Illegitimi non carborundum

All as been said 'SusieQ33'...

One question though, 'SusieQ33'...

How is your holiday entitlement calculated and how is it paid?

---Aut viam inveniam aut faciam---

***All advice given should be taken as guidance... Professional advice should always be taken before any course of action is pursued***

- I do not reply directly to any PMs, but you are more than welcome to enclose a link, in a PM, to your post. Thank you -

Make a contribution to this site... Help the CAG keeping on helping you for FREE.

As already mentioned by others previously, you have a schedule of contractual hours... and as you said it yourself, 'she is wrong'... and you are right... therefore your holiday pay should be paid according to those contractual hours... and nothing less.

Thank you for the clarification in your last post.

---Aut viam inveniam aut faciam---

***All advice given should be taken as guidance... Professional advice should always be taken before any course of action is pursued***

- I do not reply directly to any PMs, but you are more than welcome to enclose a link, in a PM, to your post. Thank you -

Make a contribution to this site... Help the CAG keeping on helping you for FREE.

Hi there

As we only work for 38 weeks a year ( term time only ) we get the 5.6 weeks holiday entitlement at a pro-rata rate. We are paid it on the last friday in August.

Hope this helps

Assuming you are paid for all hours you are there per week ie 23.5. Your Statutory Holiday pay per your Contracted hours should be 96.18 hours

Calculated as 38 x 23.5 x 10.77%

IMO anything less than that and you are not receiving your full holiday entitlement, and you have good grounds to raise a grievance.

Beau

Please note: I am not a lawyer and as such any advice I give is purely from a laymans point of view;-)