Coverage dispute

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5117 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I had a pedal bike stolen last year and made a claim on my home contents cover. I finally replaced the bike earlier this month, collected it late evening, rode it to work the next morning and promptly had it nicked again.

I've rang my insurer to make a claim but they say the bike isn't covered because it wasn't stolen fom my home (the last one was stolen from my shed.) They also said that it isn't the bike on my policy.

Firstly, my policy document says the following

We will also insure you for the following.

12 Belongings you remove from your home

Contents temporarily moved from your home will be covered

against loss or damage resulting from events 1 to 3 and 5 to 9.

Contents will also be covered against event 4 if the theft is from:

• any bank or safe deposit box;

• a private home in which somebody is living;

any building where you are employed or carrying on a

business, or

• any other building if force or violence is used to get into or

out of the building.

so I think its covered.

As for it not being the bike on the policy - its the replacement for the stolen bike on the policy, and I didn't reasonably have time to tell them about it as I owned it for under 24 hours before it was stolen. I wasn't actually aware that I had to notify them because they only ask about bikes over £1000, which it isn't.

Any thoughts on any of this? Where do I go from here?

Thanks!

Hello there. Can you tell us a bit more about the circumstances of the theft? I think it may help the guys who know more than me. I imagine the insurers would have asked where the bike was left and how it was secured? That would be helpful too.

Illegitimi non carborundum

It was locked (with a substantial cable) to one of a row of metal "D rings" fixed to the outside wall of the hospital building where I work. It was left from 11am to 6pm and when I came back both it and the lock were gone. There is CCTV around, but nothing pointing directly at the bike area.

The wording is slightly ambiguous - was it stolen "from the building" as it was attached to the outside wall of the building? I would argue that it was - if a plaque was unscrewed from the outer wall and stolen I would describe that as stolen from the building.

The full policy document is here https://www.outrightplc.co.uk/PolicyDocumentsService/documents/hc/policy/CR.pdf