• Tweets

• You haven't returned to the thread to give us your views, but a couple of other things strike me which you should consider: 1. You say that at no time was your father's licence revoked by the DVLA. It didn't have to be revoked. It expired in September and his "entitlement to drive" (of which the licence provides proof) expired along with it. He could only continue driving whilst his application was being processed by virtue of s88, and it seems clear to me (based on what you have said) that he was not able to take advantage of the benefits provided by that section. 2. The letter he received threatening to revoke his licence was probably a template letter sent when any medical issues are brought to the attention of the DVLA. But it is clear that beyond September until it was eventually renewed, your father had no valid licence to be revoked. I believe a "not guilty" plea in court will fail. The basic facts are that your father's licence expired in September, it was not renewed until February because the DVLA were looking into his medical declaration and he could not take advantage of s88. So in December he had no licence and no entitlement to drive under s88. The facts that he believed he was fit to drive and that his licence was eventually renewed may mitigate the offence but they do not provide a defence. I also asked whether he had received a summons (very unusual these days) or whether he had received a "Single Justice Procedure Notice". The way to proceed from here differs slightly depending on what he has received so if you let me know, I'll advise further.  
    • Well, what I've read from various sources suggest if a CCJ is 6 years old that if becomes pretty much ineffective for enforcement purposes in its original form.  And that if it's about to expire then the claimant needs to apply to the court to extend the original CCJ within the final year.  Even if they do apply for an extension within the 6 years they have to have a very strong argument for doing so such as the person being out of the country or could not be traced, basically show they were actively still perusing the debt I guess. Now if a claimant ever does apply within the 6 years to extend the CCJ, would the person named on if be notified by the court that such an application has been made?.  In my case I've heard nothing from the court so assume no such application has been made.  The original CCJ in my own case is now a year beyond the 6 years of issue so must now make things even less likely again. So whilst the CCJ exists that they have not enforced it in that time must surely make it unlikely they can now take it back to court because as said it would be very rare for a judge to agree to such action now. That said, I guess they now can't use the CCJ to continue with any action for an attachment order to our mortgage either?
    • Donald Trump now banned from countries including Canada and UK as convicted felon WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK There are 37 countries that bar felons from entering, even to visit.  
    • Well, they trashed their last election manifesto pledges, so nothing new really is it? They just find weasel words to try to claim they haven't actually failed if you just look at it just a little squinted and in this particular way  - and are stupid.
    • I think they're inventing stuff now. They seem to know they won't be around to implement any of it.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Log Book Loans - Can anyone help???

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4521 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Did you at all ever recieve a default notice? Dont answer that one as it is not for you to say you did or not. It is for the company LBL to show that a default notice was issued and if not then they have seriously broken the law. Here is an extract which you have probably already seen.

Hi Paul

I never received a default notice as such, nothing official anyway, they once sent me a letter saying i owed them 44k (9k Loan) !! Then when i phoned them about it they had no knowledge of it and amounts have changed so many times on each phonecall to them :rolleyes:. TBH that has been my biggest battle with them, trying to get them to send me anything at all in writing. I wouldn't mind if i had got to this stage and had not tried to put things right, i tried everything to reason with them at every stage. I have lots of memories of threatning phonecalls from them and no help whatsoever when i called them without anything in writing which i requested everytime i spoke with them (they were calling me 6 times a day at one point).

I am taking things forward in court and can't wait really but my main aim is to raise awareness regarding the non-status lending market to avoid others making the huge mistake i did getting involved with them. So much has happened and at times i have felt like giving up but thanks to all on this site and my family, I have stood up to them - something they are not used to. They know there are not many clear ways of fighting back and they rely on this. NOT ANY MORE :D

If you think I have helped hop on the scales. If I was useless best to keep quiet me thinks:D

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the problem because I never had dealings with any kind of balliff before this and am very unclear on whos who and who can do what!

If you think I have helped hop on the scales. If I was useless best to keep quiet me thinks:D

Hi all,

Just been doing some research with regards to LBL and have found out through companies house, that there are multiply companies with similar names all registered to the Putney address, with 2 or three of them being proposed to be struck off. Alos has anyone had dealsing with a company called Gemini International UK LTD, who is said as being one of their agents as cant find them registered anywhere.

MeggyWeggy

Hi MeggyWeggy

I am always interested in LBL info :p . There is definately something dodgy going on with them, they do business all over the country but only one office address. I will have a look on companies house website, very interesting!!

I have had first hand dealings with Gemini International UK Ltd, it was them who took my car, the guy had no proper ID, no paperwork apart from something that looked like a handwritten invoice. He lied to Police saying he had a court order back at his office then faxed something to them with court stamp on it, even though they later told us they didn't need and didn't have anything from the court :rolleyes: . He then laughed at us as he took car away :-x . They call themselves Private Balliffs, still have no idea if my car was stolen but police where no help at all. I will have a look for them too see what I can find.

Have you had dealings with Gemini?

Nellie xx

I understand totally how you feel, they really do grind you down, the stress they cause is unreal and they don't seem to care.

Have you received a letter from Gemini? Strange that LBL didn't give you their contact details? I have them with all my paperwork, i will get them for you.

I feel really sad you seem to be in same situation I was, its awfull

If i can help in any way please let me know

Nellie xx

Nellie,

Thanks, its amazing what these people are like, we have just had our second child and as you say the stress is so high it is easier to just give in and put it down to experience i will certain be sending letters to them with ref to charges.

I really do understand, I had my second child during all what happened to me, i remember they were calling me about 5 times a day when i was h

just home from hospital. Even though my baby was screaming in the background sometimes they would not let me get off the phone saying i was avoiding them!!! I became a nervous wreck and was on pins all the time, horrible time and I really do feel for you xx

omg things get worse than ever with this company. So sorry somebody else now involved with them.

I have said it before than their intention is to repossess every car they loan upon, there is no other reason for the bully boy tactics, denying phonecalls (every single one i have ever made to them) and complete lack of customer service. They make it so difficult to pay and and don't offer any help or express any sympathy when things go wrong and when they do they have tunnel vision to get the car no matter what.

In regards to what happened with the 'balliff' and the injured leg this is absulutely unbeleivable and makes my blood boil. My partner was ran off a busy public road and nearly caused a crash. I have since found out that only police and DVLA marshalls in extreame curcumstances have the power to aquire a car on a public highway. Even when we called 999, one lie from balliff saying he had a court order they gave him permission to take our car. Even though he was driving dangerously and acting like he owned the road and our car the police where treating him as one of them. I have a complaint in agaist the police about all of it.

In regards to your partner being charged with ABH etc I think is terrible and its so obvious the balliff is trying it on and is obviously not a happy bunny that you got one over on him!!! This will be thrown out of court, he actually tried to stop the car by leaning on it so in effect its his own fault, not many people try to obstruct a car in motion then call police complaining they have been hurt!!! i am so suprised the police took it seriously, they didn't want to know in our case.

The problem is that LBL consider a car to be their property from the moment loans are taken and they seem to enjoy reminding you of that.

Has anyone got copies of the loan agreements they signed and this 'bill of sale' they say gives them so much power?? I can't get my hands on mine and they are ignoring me and my solicitor and not providing them.

I am confused by this also and can honestly say with the help of ALL posts on here i am well on my way to my day in court with them. The problem is that i am not legal minded and alot of the things i read don't make perfect sense to me but all i have learned on here has been passed to my solicitor who is using them in my defence, i have never ignored advice and don't think any of us have. All i can do is tell my story which will hopefully raise awareness also.

Hi nellie,

I have been reading every single post about log book loans and i know what trouble you have had with them. Firstly, i am so sorry about what has happened to you, people could say its our own fault for getting ourselves into this mess, but difficult times sometimes call for desperate measures.

Something needs to be done urgently with this company. They seem to have a rule book of their own! From what you have explainded to me, the car should not have been taken witout the bailiff producing the documents there and then! Secondly, as the police told us today, its really a civil matter, not a police matter, and the police should not have agreed with the bailiff, and obviously, after watching the report on telly about bailiffs, they can say anything they want to the police, as they are not trained to deal with these type of circumstances.

We aremore bothered about NOt letting them take the car than the ABH charge, nothing will come of it becuase there are no marks exept a bit of redness on his leg, and NO witnesses either. Im off to see the C.A.B tomorrow to see where we exactly stand, and im going to write to LBL to ask them for proof that the "bill of Sale" is registered in a high court....??

Our next step is to take people like us, and try and group together to get somebody in the media to take an interest in our cases. I am also considering just paying small amounts off on our "payment book", surely that means that we are trying to pay the loan off, and have actually made an offer to pay. Only trouble is we have recieved a default notice, so i dont know whether that will be any good...

Thanks nathian, i have been through a nightmare with this company but i am getting there and i am so sorry you are going through what in did.

I totally agree, you have nothing to worry about regarding the ABH charge, although it must not have been nice for your partner to go through interviews with police etc and you are right, the police will always say its a civil case and don't seem to know the law regarding these matters. Can i ask which balliff company it was that came out? They are on a power trip most of them and will try every trick in the book to get the car and stack up their commission for the day.

As regards to them actually taking your car, i have been in this situation, i was even sending them cheques and they were not being cashed and i tried to reason with them. Sad fact is that they will stop at nothing and i don't trust them. Have they said they will not accept and arrangement to bring your payments up to date? My guess is they want full arrears on repossession? My advise is that you hide the car untill we can find out what power this bill of sale has, they say that it is registered with the high court, now as i understand it the high court then need to enforce the bill of sale in order to repossess the car. I am unclear what registering a bill of sale in the court actually means but i am very close to finding out, as soon as they supply documents to my solicitor and when i find out i can let you know. We suspect it is purely to register and interest in the car with the court but i am quite sure they need to enforce it after that. In the meantime all i can sugest is hiding the car.

I will let you know how things progress with me and hopefully i can help you along the way, i have had huge problems finding the right solicitor and its only now things are starting to happen.

I totally agree that we need some media attention regarding this company and I am willing to team up to do this. LBL target the most vunrable people and I felt embarressed to have dealt with them and most people do so don't want speak out about it, i think thats how they have got away with it for so long.

hi everyone

i have been reading all your posts on this forum about log book loans for som months now. i have a loan on my car and wondered, can i sell the car to someone i know?

i plan to order a new v5, change the owner details and then 'hide' the car.

where do i stand legally here?

much obliged.

Hiya

Does the person you are selling it to know you have the loan on the car? Do you plan to pay the loan off with money from sale? Are you actually selling it or just changing owner details etc then hiding it? I was in similar situation so if you could let me know i will be able to advise you.

Nellie

Hiya

Does the person you are selling it to know you have the loan on the car? Do you plan to pay the loan off with money from sale? Are you actually selling it or just changing owner details etc then hiding it? I was in similar situation so if you could let me know i will be able to advise you.

Nellie

Hi Nellie

Sorry for being so unclear- I intend to change the owner details, and then hide it but tell LBL I have sold it?

Hi Nellie

Sorry for being so unclear- I intend to change the owner details, and then hide it but tell LBL I have sold it?

If I am missing something here -I will apologise but to my mind there clearly appears to be advice being given out which is advocating some quite disturbing actions.

This site cannot allow posts to be made that can be seen to be condoning fraudulant or deceptive practices.

Can you just start using a little common sense before posting these suggestions.

• Haha 2

Have a happy and prosperous 2013 by avoiiding Payday loans. If you are sent a private message directing you for advice or support with your issues to another website,this is your choice.Before you decide,consider the users here who have already offered help and support.

Advice offered by Martin3030 is not supported by any legal training or qualification.Members are advised to use the services of fully insured legal professionals when needed.

Nobody is advising anyone to do anything, just answering questions posted and passing on knowledge of this company, who are, lets face it, [allegedly] ripping people off, for want of better words!!!

Precisley Nellie.

Apart from a few lighthearted suggestions about selling it down the Shankhill amongst others no one has suggested anything fraudulent. Also as LBL do not have lawful ownership of vehicle the rightful owner is well within his rights selling it to whom he pleases.

I think before anyone accuses others of offering fraudulent advice they 1st make sure that is what is being offered in the 1st place

Also the HPI situation is a joke, they also fit trackers on the cars which are fake - what is that all about???!!!

Also the HPI situation is a joke, they also fit trackers on the cars which are fake - what is that all about???!!!

Pity they are fake as that would be another unlawful act in controvention of the DPA.

An household name HP company started fitting them in the late 1990's early 2000's & when their legal department found out they went bonkers & they had to remove them rapidly before any of the customers found out. The dealers where told to organise a recall under the pretext of a fault so they could be removed

LBL claim legal ownership over cars and repossess them while their agreements are unlawfull and unenforcable, this is a fact as it has happened to me.

The sole reason for this happening to people is that they do not know their rights and I feel, as this site promotes 'reclaiming the right' we have to play this company at there own game. They don't play by the rules or the LAW and I will actively encourgage others to avoid them being victims as i was.

It has been proven that Banks take Charges unlawfully and is the basis for this forum, LBL take cars unlawfully so It should be viewed on the same principle. Its a serious matter as most cars cost thousands and thousands of pounds and apart from houses are the most expensive items people will own.

As JonCris has said we are simply making him aware that LBL do not own his car and he has the right to sell it to anyone he likes.

Pity they are fake as that would be another unlawful act in controvention of the Data Protection Act.

An household name HP company started fitting them in the late 1990's early 2000's & when their legal department found out they went bonkers & they had to remove them rapidly before any of the customers found out. The dealers where told to organise a recall under the pretext of a fault so they could be removed

We still have it so i will check it, it looks fake but if fake or not is it still an unlawfull act to fit one, don't see the benefit for them fitting a fake one, unless its a scare tactic

Hi All

Things gone a bit quiet on here regarding LBL, has anyone got any updates on their issues with them???

My fight with them is underway thanks to somebody great enough to help me who I met through this site - you know who you are :D .

The problem I had was finding a Solicitor to deal with the case, endless calls to different solicitors offices, being told time and time again it wasn't something they dealt with, mainly being told this by receptionists and not even being able to even talk to a solicitor. I must have explained my situation 100 times and it was really starting to get to me, I knew what LBL had done was wrong and breached nearly every section of CCA but why would nobody take it on???? In my search I eventually found 2 solicitors who would deal with it, I thought 'great at last!', my relief was short lived when I was asked for £2k up front by one and 4K up front by the other!!!! I now realised the reason why LBL and others had managed to get away with what they were doing for so long, something that I couldn't understand before.

The sad fact is that most people who use this method of finance are 'desperate' and have exhausted all other options, there can be few other reasons why anyone would agree the ridiculous terms and repayments. Because most people they sell loans to are usually in severe debt and no income proof or credit checks are needed its almost a certainty that these loans will never be repayed, why else would they be so unconcerned as to the affordability to repay or how credit reliable somebody is???. I would bet my bottom dollar that at least 90% of all loans result in repossesion and I believe this is how they make their money.

We all have heard of companies being 'responsible lenders', companies will use their own methods to ensure affordability etc, they will assess the risk of lending to somebody by using credit scoring and information held my credit reference agencies. Somebody who scores badly or has a bad credit history will usually pose more of a risk and that person would probably be turned down. Why would LBL not cover themselves this way and why does it appear they are taking such a risk?? The fact is there is no risk whatsoever because they have you sign a 'Bill of Sale agreement' transferring ownership of car from you to them so effectively they own your car from the second you sign the agreement. Its only a matter of time before they take what they THINK is theirs, ridiculously high interst rates, impossible sky high repayments, zero tolerance on late payments/arrears and constant charges force repossesion sooner or later.

My main reason for this post is to say that I have been lucky enough to find a solicitor who will take on my case funded by legal aid and no up front costs whatsoever. It has taken me months and months and alot of effort on somebody elses part - again you know who you are! to finally get the chance to fight back. I am on benefits and there would be no way I would get this chance otherwise.

I am concerned how many other people there may be that have been in this situation and I am pleased to say that my solicitor has agreed to take on a couple more cases on the same basis as myself. I am going to start a new thread regarding this and ask anyone who needs help to come forward. This help is limited but hopefully will benefit somebody as it has me.

Will keep u all updated regarding my case :)

Hi All

I currently have a legal dispute with Logbook Loans as explained in my thread (Logbook Loans - Can anyone help???).

I have been trying for Months and Months to find a solicitor to take my case on, the ones I had found wanted large amounts of money up front. I am on benefits so there was no way I could pay these fees even though I knew I had a solid case against LBL.

I am pleased to say that thanks to somebody I met through this site, I now have a solicitor who is fighting my case funded by legal aid (no other solicitor would do this).

Due to the obvious legal flaws in LBL practices, my solicitor is willing to take on a couple more cases similar to mine on the same basis. I have heard alot of similar cases but as I am unsure the status now on cases I have read, I would ask anyone who needs legal help and are in similar position as myself to come forward.

The legal help is limited to a couple of cases but hopefully I can help somebody who has faced the nightmare I have gone through at the hands of this company

Please feel free to PM me should you not wish to post on open forum

:) xx

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4521 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks