• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

MBNA Loan PPI

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5027 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just sent the preliminary letter off to MBNA for loan PPI, which amounts to £3.5k.

My question is regarding the spreadsheet for interest. Should this have been sent to MBNA with the prelim letter?

This loan was sold on to Wescot credit services and has been part of a DMP with payplan for a number of years now. I am still paying this off so where do I stand with the PPI part? what should I do for the speadsheet?

HSBC - Pre Lim sent 12-12-06, LBA sent 27-12-06, reissued 5-1-07. Part offer rejected 17-1-07, MCOL 19-1-07, AQ - 21-2-07. Settled

Nationwide - S.A.R. sent 13-12-06, Pre lim sent 5-1-07, LBA sent 19-1-07, MCOL 2-2-07, WON 22-2-07.

Capital One - S.A.R. sent 13-12-06, Pre lim sent 17-1-07, LBA sent. Settled

MBNA - S.A.R. sent 13-12-06, Offer rejected 19-1-07, Pre Lim 19-1-07, LBA sent, Setteled 21-2-07.

MBNA Loan PPI - Pre lim sent 19-2-10, Settled.

MBNA CC PPI - Pre lim sent 19-2-10, WON 2-7-10.

HSBC PPI - Pre lim sent 19-2-10, with Court

EGG PPI - Pre lim sent 19-2-10, FOS upheld 3-7-10

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you should sent it to mbna

as for the 'left' total'

they will be within their rights to off-set anything from te reclaim to pay off 'arrears' only. the rest should go to you, so your indebtedness, should fall by the removal of the amount of ppi added to the agreement in the first place, and any arrears the claw back

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hello moose73!

Before doing anything else, I would ask to see a copy of the Loan Agreement.

MBNA's Loan Agreements were often highly suspect if PPI formed part of the deal.

Most seen so far on CAG are s18 cock-ups, so may not be enforceable.

In which case, you want every penny of the PPI back, plus s69 County Courts Act 8% Simple Interest, plus you may like to investigate asking for compound contractual interest back in restitution, i.e. in addition to s69 and at their commercial rates.

Bearing in mind MBNA likes to charge the world and his dog 34.95%, then it won't be too hard to show that MBNA were busy earning that amount of money on your money, the money they took from you unlawfully via the mis-sold PPI.

Restitution is the issue of asking them for the interest they have earned on your money.

However, the key is to establish if the Agreement itself is pants, as it could well be.

Send a s77 Request off to Wescot and MBNA, and also send MBNA a full SAR. You must get to see all the dirty details they hold on you in relation to this matter.

I do hope this helps.

Cheers,

BRW

Edited by banker_rhymes_with
Typo

I have the original loan agreement

Edited by rjgreaves
agreement deleted

HSBC - Pre Lim sent 12-12-06, LBA sent 27-12-06, reissued 5-1-07. Part offer rejected 17-1-07, MCOL 19-1-07, AQ - 21-2-07. Settled

Nationwide - S.A.R. sent 13-12-06, Pre lim sent 5-1-07, LBA sent 19-1-07, MCOL 2-2-07, WON 22-2-07.

MBNA - S.A.R. sent 13-12-06, Offer rejected 19-1-07, Pre Lim 19-1-07, LBA sent, Setteled 21-2-07.

Hello moose73!

I have the original loan agreement
Don't tell them, because it's likely they won't have it, or won't have a readable copy of it.

Anyway, I think I can see why MBNA were so keen to sell it to Westcot.

This looks like a classic s18 cock-up by MBNA. There are two Loans here, a Loan and a Loan for PPI.

Time for you to do some reading on s18 issues, but the bottom line is the two Loans should each have their own Prescribed Terms stated.

MBNA have lumped them together, so neither Loan is stated correctly. So, it looks like both are irredeemably unenforceable.

They owe you at least the PPI back! :D

Cheers,

BRW

Typo
  • Haha 1

I got a default because of this loan, can this be removed?

Am I right in saying that I also ask for the 8% statatory interest on the whole amount from 2001 in the Prelim and lba letters by enclosing the interest spredsheet? (I thought this was added at court stage)

A bit confused now. This is were I am at:

I have the orginal agreement from 2001, and therefore didn't do a SAR. I went straight to Prelim lettter to ask for ppi premium and orginal interest back. The letter was based on one from this forum.

I didn't send the spreadsheet of additional statatory interest (I have since filled in this spreadsheet).

So do I do a SAR now, or just wait 14 days for a response to my prelim letter, or resend prelim with spreadsheet with statatory interest attached?

I am also in the exact same position on a different loan with HSBC again from 2001. The only difference with this one is that it was settled and the interest rate was 11.9%.

Hello Moose73!

I think you should tread water on the PPI Claim, just for now, because it's highly likely that you may well have an unenforceable Loan Agreement, because of the way MBNA have set out two Loans into one, i.e. the Loan itself, and then the Loan for the PPI.

If the Prescribed Terms for each are not stated correctly such as, say, they are combined into one, as if the two were one Loan, then MBNA could well have a problem, as could anyone who has bought the Debt from them.

I think you have a bigger fish to fry, so my advice is to take a step back, and start from the beginning with this:

(1) Send a s77 CCA Request to who ever thinks they now own the Debt.

(2) Send a SAR to anyone in the chain, starting with MBNA, and then to anyone else who thinks they have bought the right to extract money from you.

While you are waiting for the above, bone up on:

(3) The Consumer Credit Act 1974 and in particular, s18.

(4) PPI Re-Claims in general, including all aspects of how PPI has been mis-sold in the past.

(5) Contractual Interest Claims and Restitution, and especially these cases:

(a) Westdeutsche v Islington Borough Council [1996] A.C. 669, [1996] 2 All E.R. 961

(b) Halliday v HBOS

© Sempra Metals v Inland Revenue [2007] UKHL 34

(6) Methods to calculate s69 County Courts Act 1984 8% Simple Interest, and methods to calculate Compound Contractual Interest.

The point being, if you tackle this well, you should get the blood suckers off your back for good, and also end up with a fat cheque as well.

Get it wrong, and all that will happen is MBNA and crew will blow raspberries at you and at best, they will deduct a little PPI from what they think you owe them, then they will hound you for money you probably do not now owe them if the Agreement is flawed.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

BRW

Do you have a link to your thread?

Is there a letter template for the s77 CCA Request?

Thanks

moose73

Hello Moose73!

I think there is in the Forum Template Library, but I can never find it either!

The main issue is to send the Request via Special Delivery, and send it to the Registered Office of the group concerned. Look that up at the Companies House Web Site for Free, and send the Request addressed to The Company Secretary.

All you need to say is that it is a full Request made under Section 77(1) of The Consumer Credit Act 1974, and enclose the Statutory Fee payable of £1.

I would also add a short paragraph making it clear the payment is a Statutory Fee, and must not be regarded as a payment towards any debt.

The key issues are:

• Head the letter with the Account Number (if known).

• Send it to their official Registered Office address and addressed to the primary contact for the proper Service of documents (i.e. The Company Secretary, Registered Office Address).

• State it is a full s77(1) Request (do not say more, they will know that you want everything that you are entitled to, and this avoids them saying you did not ask for a specific part of a full response).

• Enclose the Statutory Fee as a £1 Postal Order (i.e. no signature, and cross it payee only).

• Do not sign the letter, just print your name.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

BRW

Hello Sharpgun!

Good to hear you won, perhaps you can Post up full details of how it went.

now send the lba

I'd advise against this, for now, because Moose73 has a few issues to get sorted before pressing on with this.

Please see my Post #9 above, which covers the issues that Moose73 needs to get their head around before shooting off half-cocked.

Cheers,

BRW

I know I may have a case for the whole loan, however I did have the money in the first place. My issue is with the PPI and associated interests.

I have just done the SAR lettes to both MBNA, wescot and hsbc (different claim!) these will be sent tomorrow.

just been through the old MBNA credit card statements from 2001 to 2005 and there is also £2784 of PPi there too!!

Hello Moose73!

I know I may have a case for the whole loan, however I did have the money in the first place.
Sorry for any confusion. I'm not suggesting you get the whole Loan back, that would be hard. Likewise, it would be hard to get the Payments back too.

The key point on the s18 issue, is the Agreement that you signed is highly likely to be seriously flawed, i.e. irredeemably unenforceable.

If you have already re-paid the Capital amount, then you are also morally in the clear, because you have re-paid what was given to you.

The Agreement, however, was made with the intention of getting you to repay not just the Loan, but a lot of Interest too. If the Agreement is flawed, then MBNA cannot force you to pay that Interest.

MBNA were also greedy in mis-selling the PPI, because that was a nice little earner for them. They probably only paid 5% of its value, and charged you 100%, plus interest.

MBNA were not selling you a Loan, they were shafting you for the PPI, and the Loan was the vehicle that they used to plunder your wealth.

From your original Post, it sounds like you are still lumbered with Payments for this Loan + PPI. My point is if the Agreement is flawed, then you can stop Payments, and never make another one ever again...provided you gather the information first, and establish that you are happy that is indeed the case.

You'll need to read up about s18, and you will also need to await the results of your s77(1) and S-A-R Requests to see the full picture.

Now, back to the PPI...

If you plan this well, establish the validity of the Loan before you fire off any full Claim for the PPI, then it's quite possible that you can get MBNA to pay you a not inconsiderable sum for both the PPI, but s69 County Courts Act 1984 8% Simple Interest on top, and also, potentially, an even larger Claim for Compound Contractual Interest in Restitution on top of that...at what ever Rate you can nail them at. That could be as high as 34.95%, because MBNA have been charging that rate to many thousands of people, so there is little doubt that they have been earning 34.95% on your money.

Restitution is the concept of asking MBNA to hand over their ill-gotten gains while they lent your PPI money out to other people at 34.95%. If you Compound that, the figures shoot up. So, well worth considering, but you need to bone up on the issues.

A safer bet is to just ask them for whatever Rate they were charging you, but don't fire that Claim off before you have established if the Agreement was flawed or not.

If you do fire the Claim off too soon, while the Agreement is still live and you are paying a Debt that you may not need to pay, then the danger is that MBNA and/or who ever has bought the Debt, may just pull another fast one on you, and absorb the PPI Refund into the outstanding Debt, and stick two fingers up at you when they break the news that they still want you to keep paying.

...just been through the old MBNA credit card statements from 2001 to 2005 and there is also £2784 of PPi there too!!
Great! But get the facts straight on all of the above, or else MBNA may also just absorb the Card PPI Refund back onto the outstanding Loan.

They are tricky, so don't cut them any slack.

I hope this makes sense.

Cheers,

BRW

Typo

Thanks

moose73

Here you go moose click on the link below.

CCA REQUEST

Please read the instructions as you will need to amend the request as this is for a loan agreement.

You have been given some excellent advice by BRW. You MUST however read round some of the other PPI threads to get a sense of what happens:)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

• 2 weeks later...

Got the SAR back from Westcot and there is just 100s pages of computer printouts. Nothing of any use. Still waiting for MBNA to get back with both SAR and S77.

Got the SAR back from Westcot and there is just 100s pages of computer printouts. Nothing of any use. Still waiting for MBNA to get back with both SAR and S77.

How much time have MBNA got left for the SAR, they should be pretty close to the 12 days for the CCA request ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

How much time have MBNA got left for the SAR, they should be pretty close to the 12 days for the CCA request ?

MBNA have about 32 days left for the SAR, and the CCA went in on 22/2.

So, in a perfect world you should receive a response to your CCA request by Tuesday/Wednesday:)

BCOBS

What should I expect to see back from the CCA request?

Hello Moose73!

What should I expect to see back from the CCA request?

If MBNA stay true to form, my bet is you will soon get:

• An unreadable Agreement.

• An unenforceable Agreement via s18.

• Both of the above in one!

But let's see what they come up with this time!

Cheers,

BRW