New clean credit file with new address...is this possible?

Brachetthecub
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4835 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

:)

Hello...I wonder if this is possible?

Many many years ago I worked in Greece & came home. I opened a very basic bank a/c & when asked for previous address I just said I'd been working in Greece for the last 7 years (which was true!). Howevere prior to this in the UK I had several credit card debts & being young & silly just moved away & stuck my head in the sand (they are all sorted out now!).

A few years ago a letter came out of the blue about an alledged shortfall on a mortgage many many years ago & to cut a long story short I contested this, etc & the matter was completely dealt with & will not resurface. This & some other debts (again sorted now) means that at my present address my credit report (i have seen copies from all 3 agencies) is rubbish & will be for 5 more years.

During the last year my partner had a psychotic breakdown (thankfully only 1 episode a year ago bought on by stress....nothing ongoing at all thank the lord!) & she's now 100% recovered. I had to leave my work to look after her.

We are moving into a new house in a lovely quiet area so it's a new start for both of us.

My question is that if I did what I did before & told a white lie & said I'd been overseas for the last 7 years or so could I open say a new basic bank a/c & slowly rebuild my credit rating (& get on the electoral roll). Obviously my present bank a/c would either be closed (or I'd have mail redirected). I would not give them my new address. At my current address no one is 'after' me...all matters have been settled in full by a family friend.

Has anyone else done this & is it possible? I've seen an 'e' book for £7 that mentions using a new addressto create a new file-is it worth the money?

I would strongly advise against trying this.

Any credit obtained in the future would be fraudulant and could open you up to prosecution, not to mention if your OC's located you it would not be looked upon very favourably by a judge.

Any debt other than a mortgage becomes Statute Barred after six years in England/Wales, five years in Scotland if no payment or written acknowledgement has been made for that period. For a mortgage it is 12 years.

If any of your creditors have acquired a CCJ against you it never becomes Statute Barred per se but if they haven't enforced it within six years they have to apply to the court for permission, showing very good reason to take enforcement.... this is rarely given.

Both Defaults and CCJ drop off your credit file six years after they occurred & cannot be re-entered. After six years a CCJ is not kept on active court files so the original creditor would need to provide the original court record number.

Unless you apply for credit, open a new bank a/c or check your credit file using your new address within the next 5 years you should not be linked to your old credit file in any case so there would be no need to lie.

As for registering on the electoral roll, there is no link to your old address anyway. Besides there are thousands of people in the UK with the same name in any case.

I was reading your post, and thinking the same, as what cerberusalert has said above. Any debt over 6 years old would be statute barred providing there has been no contact with that creditor, or payments made within those years (but with you living abroad, I presume you haven't), therefore it is strange how they have contacted you after so long for this debt. You would not be liable to pay this.

My question is that if I did what I did before & told a white lie & said I'd been overseas for the last 7 years or so could I open say a new basic bank a/c & slowly rebuild my credit rating (& get on the electoral roll). Obviously my present bank a/c would either be closed (or I'd have mail redirected). I would not give them my new address. At my current address no one is 'after' me...all matters have been settled in full by a family friend.

Has anyone else done this & is it possible? I've seen an 'e' book for £7 that mentions using a new addressto create a new file-is it worth the money?

I have done this so yes, it is possible. Providing you do not mention that previous address on any paperwork whatsoever in the future, then no-one will be able to make a definite association.... apart from companies on phishing trips perhaps. I don't know about an e-book for £7.... or whatever it is you intend to use; in my case, I just moved out of the area and started again.

You need to be aware however, that if a company is intent on finding you they may search DVLA records to make the link between one address and the next because the previous address will be on your driving licence.... but cross that bridge if/when you come to it.

You are wanting to escape outstanding detrimental info (defaults, CCJs) at your previous address and apply for credit at your new address by telling a 'white lie'?

This is seen as fraud - undisclosed adverse - and could get you a CIFAS loading (CAT 3/4 poss 6) on your credit file which would cause far much damage to your file than the CCJs that still have 5 years to clear. No creditor will touch you with a barge pole.

I was a credit fraud investigator and this was our main source of work, verifying information supplied on application forms against credit file and other sources of data. It's very common - and it's very detectable.

As it stands at the moment, if the debts are cleared you could get certificates of satisfaction, put notice on your credit file.... Or just not apply for credit - simple as that.

Edited by Jadgee

No-one is "after" the poster at their previous address.... so there's no issue there as I see it.

As for myself, you're assuming (I think) that I went on to apply for further credit at a new address, without disclosing the old one. This was not the case.... so there was no fraud.

Ah but what's he's saying that he doesn't want to disclose the old address whilst adverse info is still on his credit file at that address. Nothing to do with anyone being 'after him'.

And I'm sorry PriorityOne I wasn't referring to your situation.

It's the non-disclosure and conflict of information regarding time at new address and his whereabouts prior that would be the issue I'm afraid.

If there's adverse info. on someone's credit file, then there could also be DCAs and the like after you (hypothetically speaking).... and if that's the case, then I can understand anyone's temptation to run off.

I assume that any conflict would only come to light once a person had tried to apply for credit and was unable to cover the period of time asked for on the application form.... which would amount to lying in order to obtain further credit.

However, if that person doesn't apply for any further credit until a fresh track record has been established at a new address.... then there are no lies being told on application forms...

You're going to tell me you don't approve of that either, aren't you? :D

Edited by PriorityOne

It's not about approval, it's about the facts of the matter.

He did say he wants to re-establish his credit history - by reapplying for credit by covering up his past address with a fabrication about having worked abroad.

I'm merely pointing out that potential lenders would view that as fraud, and the repercussions of that.

Where I previously worked we held a database of all addresses where fraud had been committed or attempted from in all forms and extremes. Every new application made to the company I worked for is cross-matched with that database, and if there's a match the application is rejected and depending on the type of fraud etc a loading would be made with CIFAS. Other lenders will have similar information along,as we did, the fraud investigation software tools and other databases.

It can't be advisable on here to assist someone in how to essentially commit fraud now can it...?? :D

It's not about approval, it's about the facts of the matter.

He did say he wants to re-establish his credit history - by reapplying for credit by covering up his past address with a fabrication about having worked abroad. Very true...

I'm merely pointing out that potential lenders would view that as fraud, and the repercussions of that. Yes... true, if it was stated that he went abroad and it was a lie.

Where I previously worked we held a database of all addresses where fraud had been committed or attempted from in all forms and extremes. Every new application made to the company I worked for is cross-matched with that database, and if there's a match the application is rejected and depending on the type of fraud etc a loading would be made with CIFAS. Other lenders will have similar information along,as we did, the fraud investigation software tools and other databases.

It can't be advisable on here to assist someone in how to essentially commit fraud now can it...?? :D

Oh dear... that makes me sound like bad person.:D Sometimes though, circumstances can make us want to leave a situation behind and start afresh. That's the point I was trying to make here. Telling lies about living abroad when you haven't though is not good, no.

I completely understand why people do it. But why does starting afresh have to involve applying for more credit? (Rhetorical and philosophical question).....

Something that perhaps may interest you regarding the address trail..

Equifax has fraud investigation software that links and inter-links addresses, associated and non-associated addresses based on information supplied by the electoral roll, royal mail (mail redirection), utility companies, telephone companies..along with credit history and applications... it links people by name, family members and dates of birth.... makes it very easy to find where someone has gone and also..find where someone has been before...

Plus there is a multitude of other software available to match and cross-match information to establish the ID and whereabouts of a subject (debtor/applicant/fraudster).

Just saying...

Starting afresh does not have to involve applying for more credit.... that's true.

The activities of Credit Ref. Agencies are of no surprise to me.... and I think it's Equifax that's owned by one of the DCAs (Debt Collection Agencies) on these boards.... so it makes no sense for someone to apply for fresh credit if it serves to tip the DCA industry off to their whereabouts anyway.

I'm just wondering how Equifax think they're entitled to dive into people's personal info. via utility companies, 'phone companies and the like.... although phishing trips have been going on for years. DVLA is another source for tracking people that I know of.

It seems as if their tricks across the Pond have migrated here then;

Retail Credit Company's (Equifax) extensive information holdings, and its willingness to sell them to anyone, attracted criticism of the company in the 1960s and 1970s. These included that it collected "...facts, statistics, inaccuracies and rumors… about virtually every phase of a person's life; his marital troubles, jobs, school history, childhood, sex life, and political activities." The company was also alleged to reward its employees for collecting negative information on consumers.
http://tiny.cc/CbcMA

I think as it's fraud investigation software it gets through the DPA issue..?

Bless Wiki - I'm yet to see any sexual shenanigans although it is interesting to see women's names moving on and off the ER whilst the lothario male remains on there.. it's a soap opera waiting to be written!

Thanks for your replies!

I certainly do not want to act fraudelently (ie run up credit card debts & move...etc) but would just be oprning a basic bank a/c such as Nat West step a/c...running it ok & then hopefully by their 'relationshop scoring' at least have some chance a year or 2 down the line to get a mortgage...as i'm sick of renting(!)

Jadgee is absolutely right about the danger of getting a CIFAS entry on a credit report.

This was introduced relatively recently to encourage people to be totally honest about their position.

"CIFAS enables Members to exchange details of applications for products, services or employment, which are considered to be fraudulent, because the information provided by the applicant fails verification checks."

Welcome to CIFAS Online - CIFAS Online

Big Brother has extended his empire! Beware!

All I can say is that people should use the law as it is written and not try to bend it to their advantage. Stick to the basic CCA advice on this site and recover your life - but it will take time. Going beyond that and you could end up with more pain.

Beaten:

RBS: £4,500

AMEX: £4,200

Barclaycard Visa: £12,100

Barclaycard M/Card: £12,600

(Including the numerous DCAs they have set on me.)

PPI reclaims (into my bank account): £25,000

• 11 months later...

Hello.....just to update you on my situation. As mentioned I have now moved to a new address & my partner continues to be well. I've got a great new job as well. In August last year I opened a new bank a/c with Yorkshire Bank (asked for a Basic A/c but was offered nearly their top a/c-no credit facilities offered-or indeed wanted), stating I'd been at my new address for just under 4 years & had had no fixed address prior to this/been overseas. I made sure my name was on the rolling electoral register prior to this. Again I must state that I'm after NO credit but want a reasonable chance in a few years to have a mortgage & be clear for tennant rental checks etc.....

I applied for credit files from all THREE agencies....only call-credit sent one back (which was not linked to any old address or showed any form of bad credit.).The other 2 wanted copies of passports-so have not moved forward with this as I'm paranoid about passport numbers being linked to previous addresses..........(can anyone confirm/deny that a photocopy of my p/port could be used in this way?). Also I phoned Equifax today to ask if i could send a recent tax-credit statement & bank statement (instead of passport)-they said 'no' but asked for my DOB/address. When I said I do not have a previous fixed address the lady asked me again & it was then i realised I'd had one of the 'free' trials from them!!!!!!!!!!!! As I've not tried to commit any form of fraud/apply for any credit is the lady at Experian within her rights to put a note on the file (NO credit file produced for new/clean addressbut at old addresses they would have my name/DOB) that I MAY be the same person & link it to my new address?????? If she CAN then oh well.....th'at's how it goes but I'd be interested in anyones opinion on this? Surely as they just hold information & are not credit companies they can't add information to my file?

Any advice would be great?

P.S. -She could not find any record of my £2 satutory application from last August........

PPS-Also...I have the 'creditbuilder' with cashplus (your montlhy fee is shown as a loan over a year-this is reported to credit reference agencies). Would a small overdraft with Yorkshire bank (never to be used-or maybe just dipped into & paid off straight away monthly...say by 10/20 quid max) report to my credit file & improve it?

Edited by Brachetthecub
extra info

Hello....anyone advise me at all on the above? Would seem my credit-files from Equifax (possibly experian as well) are fine as I've just been granted a low limit credit card-I stress this is not to run up huge bills but to improve my credit rating! Is it best to either...a) set up a dd & pay full ammt monthly or b) allways have a third maximum used & pay off MORE than the minimum but keep approx a third of the limit showing as used (I read somewhere keeping a 3rd used is good)....which would improve my file more??/