• Tweets

• I applied to the Court to act as litigation friend has my son is Severely Mentally Impaired and sent the proof they requested from his GP so I thought this might have been accepted without a hearing. I cannot believe the claimant is still convinced my son was the driver.
    • I had to call an ambulance for my wife, but one of the paramedics was not happy, about the condition of our house, as it's cluttered. And he  would only see to my wife, on the ambulance itself. After diagnosis they took my wife to hospital. My wife was ill for a few months, and received help from the district nurses. We then got a call from a social worker, who wanted to visit us, and discuss ways to make my wife more comfortable. When I asked for more details, she became vague, but could give us a phone number, if she visited. I politely declined her offer, as I was coping, along with my daughter in caring for my wife. Then a letter arrived from another social worker, saying similar things, to the first. I didn't bother to reply. Another letter has just turned up, from the social services legal department, which doesn't say anything specific, but refers to the other social workers trying to visit us. Coming from a legal department, has badly upset my wife, who's recovery was on going, and she now fears that someone will be coming to the house, to do whatever. Do we have to respond, or take notice of these people. Also we recently had a fire prevention officer come and fit, smoke and heat detectors. He didn't voice any concerns with the conditions at the property. Worried, Paul.
    • By not sticking to the deadline which you set you have lost credibility. Your letter of claim becomes one of hundreds of others which they receive and which they put in the bin because they think that you are just bluffing.  
    • 05.05.24 Ever so sorry if I have entered this in the wrong part of this website.   My grandfather is in his 70's and retired.  He asked me to help him find a work pension that he was paying into when he was working. From 1967 - 1982 he worked for a Fabric Dying Company, Celanese, Spondon Derby UK. I have already used the GOV.uk Trace Pension Scheme. It listed a few pension companies : Akzo Nobel (CPS) Pension Scheme formerly Courtaulds Pension Scheme.  I do not fully understand how this works but I think this scheme is administer by a company called Willis Tower Watson. We have called this company, got through to the pension department submitted all my grandfather's details (D.O.B. , N.I. no. etc.) but that agent tells that they have no record of my grandfather and ask what is the name of the pension scheme. Here is the problem, his home was burgalled in 2005 and a briefcase which contained his legal documents was stolen. So he does not know who was the Pension Scheme company. I have a this phone number 01332 681 210 for Celanese but it just rings and never gets answered. So I am asking for help if anyone can tell us where we can try next. I am also hoping for a massive long shot that one of them members on this website, worked for or knows someone who worked for British Celanese Spondon Derby and could tell us of any pension company. Thanks for any help.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Urgently need to know the difference between a CPR18, CPR 31.14 and CPR31.16

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4532 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Have a read of the Embarressed Defence link I gave you and do a search (top of the page) and look for other examples.

Remind me of your timescales again - what is the date on your POC?

thanks,

M

Hi MandM,

I have not been on here for a good few days as normally I get an email telling me someone has responded!! Didn't happen for the last few posts!

I am getting a little anxious now as the Defence should be submitted by 12th February.

I have not responded to the letter I received from Shoosmiths either as I am unsure what to say. I am assuming they mean the extended 14 days is from when I receive the documentation I have asked for (or rather, what they are prepared to selectively send me).

Do you suggest that I just call the courts for advice, as I do not have a defence to put forward to the court at the moment and will not have one if they are being selective re what documentation I receive from them? If I have to do a defence on the Court's recommendation (for the 12th), what do I state?

:confused:

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi SB.

Your time is now very short!!! I would suggest that you go with an embaressed defence as said above. You need to get something into the court or you will lose by default! Have a read of this thread from post 52 onwards

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/238913-me-tesco-incasso.html

M

Hi SB.

Your time is now very short!!! I would suggest that you go with an embaressed defence as said above. You need to get something into the court or you will lose by default! Have a read of this thread from post 52 onwards

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/238913-me-tesco-incasso.html

M

Thank you M for the link. I've had a good read and wonder if I could use costa's defence but what is the CPR part 16 that is mentioned on it? Obviously some bits will not apply to me, but for quickness due to my lack of time to put in a defence on or before the 12th, it would be good to hear from you asap. Also, my PoC are vague so that part of the defence is similar!

I have time tomorrow to try to sort all this out. After phoning court I will find out if they have been made aware of Shoosmiths extension (that they have stated in their letter to me). That will be interesting to know as there's a possibility I would have missed out putting in a defence!

I am going to carry on searching on here for other embarrassed defences to see what is available and applicable to maybe take parts from!

Thanks again for your help so far :)

Thank you M for the link. I've had a good read and wonder if I could use costa's defence but what is the CPR part 16 that is mentioned on it? Obviously some bits will not apply to me, but for quickness due to my lack of time to put in a defence on or before the 12th, it would be good to hear from you asap. Also, my PoC are vague so that part of the defence is similar!

I have time tomorrow to try to sort all this out. After phoning court I will find out if they have been made aware of Shoosmiths extension (that they have stated in their letter to me). That will be interesting to know as there's a possibility I would have missed out putting in a defence!

I am going to carry on searching on here for other embarrassed defences to see what is available and applicable to maybe take parts from!

Thanks again for your help so far :)

Hi SB. Part 16 deals with Statements of Case and can be applied if their claim is poorly particularised, particularly useful if they've messed around with the CPR requests.

Definately check that the court have written confirmation from them for this 'extension' and that you confirm to the court also.

M

Hi SB. Part 16 deals with Statements of Case and can be applied if their claim is poorly particularised, particularly useful if they've messed around with the CPR requests.

Definately check that the court have written confirmation from them for this 'extension' and that you confirm to the court also.

M

Hi to anyone who is online and reading this! Hopefully MandM can get back to me too.....

I have phoned the court and they inform me shoosmiths has not been in touch to extend. I was advised to do an Emarrassed defence, which has to be back to the courts before 4pm tomorrow! HELP!!!!!!

If doing a defence online, this needs to be done the day before, as it takes 24 hours to be processed.......HELP AGAIN!!!!!

I was told though that this could be faxed to them. Either way, I have to get a move on asap.

Any help on this would be GREATLY APPRECIATED as I am a total novice and reading around this consumes so much time. I need a defence that will fit in aptly with the PoC (posted above somewhere!).

Obviously, I will have to start searching now to find what I can, although I am not sure what all these part 16 etc actually mean or even if they apply to my case!

Probably best to find as many embarrassed defences as possible, save and cut and paste parts that are applicable after researching what the legal terms mean for these part 16's etc????????????????????

OK, try not to panic,

try this link, its a defence where some docs have been provided,

I'm sure LB wont mind you bouncing some ideas off each other as youre both pretty much in the same boat

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/mbna/242602-county-court-claim-received-5.html#post2762925

Look through the defence, then post it up so everyone can rip it to pieces for you;)

Hi SB. Try not to get stressed. 33 days from date of service gives you till Sat. We'll get this wrapped up this evening. Happy to help. At work today so popping on and off. Try and be on this evening.

Whatever I give you I will also send you some links to understand what you are submitting. It is important that you learn this. Part 16's are a doddle :) as you may have to explain it to a judge one day - but that could be many months away.

M

OK, try not to panic,

try this link, its a defence where some docs have been provided,

I'm sure LB wont mind you bouncing some ideas off each other as youre both pretty much in the same boat

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/mbna/242602-county-court-claim-received-5.html#post2762925

Look through the defence, then post it up so everyone can rip it to pieces for you;)

Thanks bazaar.

See SB - no need to panic.

Thanks bazaar.

See SB - no need to panic.

Thank you Bazaar and M.......I have spend the time since posting earlier reading through Costa's posts and even Mands Egg case!! This is how the time flies!

I am trying to get to grips with the defence but still struggling to understand! Going to now read the link Bazaar has mentioned. Trying my best to not go off track though and read stuff that doesn't apply at this minute!! Hard to do as each case is interesting and it is good to see the progression and the help that so many of you have offered. I am hoping that by the end of this I will be as knowledgeable and as confident as you all (Lol!) BTW M, I noted your uncertainty at the start of the Egg case and look how far you have come...ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!! :)

Also M, the court said this morning that I must submit the defence no later than 4pm tomorrow. If I do this online it takes 24 hours to be processed, so I have to have this done before 4pm today if doing it online. I do have access to a fax, but after taking time off work today (unpaid), I wanted to complete today if possible....back to work tomorrow.

Best go and do some more reading as time is moving on........thank you both again for getting back so quick :D

OK, lets start with this and go from here.

In the Northampton County Court

Claim number XXXXXXXX

Between

XXXXXXXXX - Claimant

and

XXXXXXXX - Defendant

Defence

1. I XXXXXXXX of XXXXXXXX am the defendant in this action and make the following statement as my defence to the claim made by XXXXXXXX.

2. Except where explicitly stated below the Defendant neither admits nor denies any of the assertions or claims made by the Claimant.

3. The Defendant is embarrassed in pleading to the Particulars of Claim as it stands at present, inter alia:-

4. The claimants' particulars of claims disclose no legal cause of action and they are embarrassing to the defendant as the claimant's statement of case is insufficiently particularised and does not comply or even attempt to comply with CPR part 16. In this regard I wish to draw the courts attention to the following matters;

a) The Particulars of Claim are vague and insufficient and do not disclose an adequate statement of facts relating to or proceeding the alleged cause of action. No particulars are offered in relation to the nature of the written agreement referred to, the method the claimant calculated any outstanding sums due or any other matters necessary to substantiate the claimant's claim.

b) A copy of the purported written agreement that the claimant cites in the Particulars of Claim, and which appears to form the basis upon which these proceedings have been brought, has not been served attached to the claim form.

c) A copy of any evidence of both the scope and nature of any default, and proof of any amount outstanding on the alleged accounts, has not been served attached to the claim form.

d) A copy of any termination notice served under section 76 and/or section 98 of the CCA, on the alleged account, has not been served attached to the claim form.

e) A copy of any notice of assignment compliant with the provisions of the Law of Property Act 1925, on the alleged account and proof of original service of said assignment to the defendant, has not been served attached to the claim form.

f) The defendant requested information referred in the claim under CPR 18 & CPR 31.14 from the claimant by Royal Mail Special Delivery. The request was received by the claimant on the 30th December 2009, compliance with the requests has now expired. The defendant wishes to make the court aware that the claimant is trying to frustrate proceedings and denying the defendant an opportunity to file a defence and counter claim.

5. Further and in the alternative it is not admitted that the sums claimed are lawfully owing. The claimant is put to strict proof as to how the sums claimed have been calculated and as to how it is asserted that the sums claimed are contractually owing.

6. Consequently, I deny all allegations on the particulars of claim and put the claimant to strict proof thereof.

7. I respectfully request the courts permission to submit an amended defence should the claimant file a fully particularised Particulars of Claim.

8. I respectfully request that the court consider striking out the claim under CPR 3.4.2(a) because it is not fully particularized nor offers any legal cause of action.

9. I respectfully request that the court consider striking out the claim under CPR 3.4.2© because, in light of the failure to respond to both CPR 31.14 & 18 requests, the Claimant is unable to substantiate their claim with documentary evidence.

Statement of Truth

I XXXXXXXX, believe the above statement to be true and factual

Signed

Date

Copy and paste from here and start changing dates etc to suit

M

I would suggest that you have a working copy with your details etc in Word or Works.

You can then cut and paste that into your online defence.

Any questions - get them up as soon as and someone will answer. I'll be on and off all day so i'll keep looking in.

M

Below is a link to the Civil Procedure Rules. Take a look and it should show you what is being asked in the defence>>> CPR - Rules and Directions - Ministry of Justice These are the rules upon which the cases are managed through the courts. Very important that you understand how, why and what you are asking with regards to these.

M

Below is a link to the Civil Procedure Rules. Take a look and it should show you what is being asked in the defence>>> CPR - Rules and Directions - Ministry of Justice These are the rules upon which the cases are managed through the courts. Very important that you understand how, why and what you are asking with regards to these.

M

Dear M.....what a star you are! The defence looks great to me, so I will cut and paste as you suggest. I have a couple of others on my desktop, but some of what is on those is also on the one you have posted. I guess I have something to tweak a little and add dates etc. One point though....at the start 'I XXXXXXXX of XXXXXXXX', do I state my address in full after 'of'? I have seen this on the others I have read and wonder if it is the address that goes there (DOH!!). I'm sure it is.....but sometimes can be a bit of a bird brain!!

Well I best get on and make a start as time is of the essence here.......will post back later.

Thank you Bazaar and M.......I have spend the time since posting earlier reading through Costa's posts and even Mands Egg case!! This is how the time flies!

I am trying to get to grips with the defence but still struggling to understand! Going to now read the link Bazaar has mentioned. Trying my best to not go off track though and read stuff that doesn't apply at this minute!! Hard to do as each case is interesting and it is good to see the progression and the help that so many of you have offered. I am hoping that by the end of this I will be as knowledgeable and as confident as you all (Lol!) BTW M, I noted your uncertainty at the start of the Egg case and look how far you have come...ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!! :)

Also M, the court said this morning that I must submit the defence no later than 4pm tomorrow. If I do this online it takes 24 hours to be processed, so I have to have this done before 4pm today if doing it online. I do have access to a fax, but after taking time off work today (unpaid), I wanted to complete today if possible....back to work tomorrow.

Best go and do some more reading as time is moving on........thank you both again for getting back so quick :D

Yes, I have a number of issues of my own and one that went to court pdq!

Vicious learning curve but have spent a vast amount of time on here and reading. Self preservation really lol. But I, like most on here, was at the same stage you're at now (not that long ago) and it would be a shame to waste all that effort if no one else takes me to court :D.

You'll find lots of help and support here (as I did). There's no guarantee that you'll win - but you will certainly have increased your chances considerably.

M

Dear M.....what a star you are! The defence looks great to me, so I will cut and paste as you suggest. I have a couple of others on my desktop, but some of what is on those is also on the one you have posted. I guess I have something to tweak a little and add dates etc. One point though....at the start 'I XXXXXXXX of XXXXXXXX', do I state my address in full after 'of'? I have seen this on the others I have read and wonder if it is the address that goes there (DOH!!). I'm sure it is.....but sometimes can be a bit of a bird brain!!

Well I best get on and make a start as time is of the essence here.......will post back later.

Yes, your address. :)

Great job MandM. SB, that should be about it for now, You'll have kept to the courts timeline, so thats it. Now you can settle a little and scrub up on what youve put in the defence, as MandM says the CPR rules. You'll most likely get a snotty letter from the claimants at some stage, saying you dont have a chance etc, etc. But these can be dealt with later on.

Great job MandM. SB, that should be about it for now, You'll have kept to the courts timeline, so thats it. Now you can settle a little and scrub up on what youve put in the defence, as MandM says the CPR rules. You'll most likely get a snotty letter from the claimants at some stage, saying you dont have a chance etc, etc. But these can be dealt with later on.

Thanks Bazaar.....have just been on the tracking system for the CPR31.14 to see what date it was received! Guess what????? They are unable to confirm status! Called the PO who are looking into it and will get back to me today or tomorrow! So I am going to state on the defence that it was posted Special Delivery on 27th January and not mention the received date, as unsure it has been delivered! I have had no response to the CPR 31.14 from Shoosmiths. The letter I received stated 'Part 18 request' only.

Oh well, will add info that I have to the defence M sent and get online and submit.

You won't need (e) if it's the original creditor taking you to court btw.

M

Hi M,

have the Embarrassed defence now and amended as appropriate. Some questions though before I go online to submit........

• I have deleted 4e) as you said as it is the bank who are the claimants. What was f) is now e).
  • Does this read ok e) The defendant requested information referred in the claim under CPR 18 & CPR 31.14 from the claimant by Royal Mail Special Delivery. The request was sent by the defendant on the 26th January 2010 and 27th January 2010 respectfully. Compliance with the requests has now expired. The defendant wishes to make the court aware that the claimant is trying to frustrate proceedings and denying the defendant an opportunity to file a defence and counter claim.
  • Should I mention the response I did get from Shoosmiths re extending 14 days once I have received documents they are selectively and allegedly going to send? Also, the 'fishing edpedition' they mention??
  • If submitting online, how can I sign the defence???

Need to get online sharpish to do this and would appreciate a very quick reply!! ;)

Hi M,

have the Embarrassed defence now and amended as appropriate. Some questions though before I go online to submit........

• I have deleted 4e) as you said as it is the bank who are the claimants. What was f) is now e).
  • Does this read ok e) The defendant requested information referred in the claim under CPR 18 & CPR 31.14 from the claimant by Royal Mail Special Delivery. The request was sent by the defendant on the 26th January 2010 and 27th January 2010 respectfully. Compliance with the requests has now expired. The defendant wishes to make the court aware that the claimant is trying to frustrate proceedings and denying the defendant an opportunity to file a Fully Particularised defence and counter claim.
  • Should I mention the response I did get from Shoosmiths re extending 14 days once I have received documents they are selectively and allegedly going to send? Also, the 'fishing edpedition' they mention??
  • dont get into a Pi**ing contest on this, remember this is a court document, just stick to what you know, anything they send, let them mention, we can deal with that later on

• If submitting online, how can I sign the defence??? you have a password for online filing, so shouldnt be a problem, just make sure they acknowledge receipt, print off the acknowledgement as well if you can

Need to get online sharpish to do this and would appreciate a very quick reply!! ;)

Just some more to think about

Nicely done old chap :).

You nearly there SB?

OMG.....what a load of messing!! But yes, I got it in with only 1 minute spare!!

I had to phone the court as it wouldn't accept the format & . After trying to remove those and finally getting through to court, the person I spoke to had to go online into it too. I had to remove all brackets and /. I was really worried as time was passing me by!!

Just one point to make now after adding what Bazaar stated in red type re counterclaim. I left 'counterclaim' out as they asked for an amount on the defence form and stated that you HAVE to put an amount in. I haven't a clue what the amount is. Hopefully, I did the right thing??

Can I have a breather now? It's been a long day!!

Thank you MandM and Bazaar......I really wouldn't have been able to do this without you both :D

Oh..........what's the next step now???

This case does remind me a little of when Halifax credit card issued proceedings in Northampton on me without submitting any of the prescribed forms (credit card agreement, t & c, default notice). They are now issued with an Allocation Questionaire and if they want to continue they will have to pay a fee and submit this within 28 days. Failure to do this means they can only proceed with the consent of the judge.

It's 3 month since I submitted my embarrased defence and apart from a letter from the over side asking me to amend my defence (I declined) I have yet to hear anything.

Would try to relax for a while now if I were you. Nothing will be happening in the near future.