jsa and capital / savings

Mr-pringle
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5225 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi i recently applied for income based jsa, and when they asked what savings / capital i have i told them i had 10k but this is not in a bank account but in cash which is the truth they asked for proof / evidence of this i asked how they would like this to presented as it is in cash i have forwarded bank statements which shows that i withdraw all my earnings from my bank account on the day it was put in i leave just enough to pay direct debits and so, the reason for this is i think banks are the biggest robbing fleasing *******s and i don't give them the opportunity to use my money to invest then charge me for being a few pence overdrawn.

anyway because i can't show them proof of this cash they have replied to me saying i have over 16k in savings / capital and not entitalled to jsa i asked for a review on the decision which came back they are not changing there origonal decision i managed to get a call back from a decision maker who said that any future claim for benefit would be dissalowed because i have not shown evidence proof of this savings capital the burden of proof is on me to prove i'm appealing this and waiting for a date to be set.

does anyone know there proccedure for dealing with savings / capital in cash any help would be most appreciated.

Not sure what happened there but when you make a claim to income-based JSA the burden is on you to prove you are entitled to it. When it has been awarded then if the DWP want to change it the burden is on them to prove it should be changed. They do not think that you have £16,000 but come up with a decision that will produce a nil award. I know it is awkward to prove that you have £10,000 in cash because you do not want to walk about with that kind of money but you can prove how much you have in cash by taking it to be verified. I know that is not ideal but it is a solution. At some point even if you go to a tribunal you will have to verify your savings so it is better to save yourself a lot of aggro by doing it sooner rather than later.

Its not ideal having 10k in savings in cash but thats your choice and you declared it,

how far back did they ask for bank statements?, and was there anything on these statements to make them think you have capital over 16k, because to nil your claim on these grounds they must have reason to think you have.

I appreciate your reasoning, Mr-pringle, but I would not be sleeping easy at night with that amount of cash knocking about the place! At least try to locate an 'ethical' bank you'd be content with.

Failing that, of course, please allow me to take it to be verified for you. Save you the trouble... :D

Rae.

thankyou for the reply melissa, i have offered to take the money down to the job centre plus office but they have refused to accept it, basically they said being has i have such a large amount of cash they are not willng to count it , i have wrote and signed an affidavit stateing i have 10k in cash, they find it unusual for someone to have such a large amount of cash and that i could have more than this and only declaring the 10k.

i have gave them the last 12 months of statements which shows i withdraw my earnings the day they went in. it clearly states on the dwp website that you can have savings in cash but there is no information of how to prove this, if it was in a bank they want statements but no information how to prove it if it is in cash.

Where you self employed ?

Why did you leave your last job ?

I know it says you can have cash but most people declare about £100,

a lot of people dont trust banks now, and I am not surprised.

If you are sure you only have 10k then you will have to wait for your appeal. You can ask for a copy of the DMs decision to why they think you have more then the allowed 16k

Why did you declare it then? Did you win it ?

or was it the amount you earned in the year?

If you havent worked longer then a year or so I suppose they may wonder how you got it, as if you withdrew the cash each week then you would have had to spend some, eg food clothes etc.

You can only appeal against this decision

Good luck

Where do you keep it ?. Under the bed ? I know no-one likes banks but having that amount of money in cash is a bit mad and in this day and age will throw up all sorts of problems as you are just finding out.

Couldnt you put it in an ethical bank as pointed out or some sort of co-op, even if just for a short time.

Andy

i do buy and sell cars on the side plus the bookies you need cash to put a bet on, 90% of people who use the bookies are on the dole believe me.

If you are buying items to sell at a profit without declaring the profit made from the sale, this is potentially fraud, and CAG cannot offer advice which could assist a person to fraudulently obtain benefits that they are not entitled to.

Thread closed.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5225 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks