• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

M+S Money Card - passed to Lowell Financial - Notice of Assignment

Valhalla
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5205 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

Perhaps someone can help me with a case I have going on with an M & S Money card?

My M & S file has been passed to Lowell Financial who wrote to me saying that they had purchased the alleged credit card debt from M & S

I though that any such sales had to be supported by a Notice of Assignment so I wrote back asking to see a copy of the Notice of Assignment, to which Lowell replied

"I wrote to inform you that your M & S account ref .... has been sold to Lowell Portfolio Ltd on 01/06/09, Lowell Financial Ltd has been appointed as the duly authorised collection agent for recovery of the outstanding balance."

Questions

Is it true that a N o A must be issued when a debt is sold to a third party?

If so what does a N o A look like ( I've never seen one despite having asked for one several times)

Does Lowell's answer above constitute a proper reply?

If they don't send the N o A where does that leave me and what can I / should I do next?

Hope someone can throw some light on this or tell me where to look

Thanks

Valhalla

Have a look here:

Law of Property Act 1925 (c.20)

Pay attention to sections 136 and 196

As far as I'm aware, there are different formats to NOA's

Have you CCA'd the Leeds Losers or M&S

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

I've always accepted that there are 2 types of assignment but correct me if I'm wrong.

Equitable assignment..... usual for DCA's, passes certain rights and duties to them from the OC and requires no formal NOA..... then again you can carry on ignoring a DCA as they'll need the OC to act in litigation anyway.

Statutory/absolute assignment....... this involves the complete discharge of and passing to a third party of the debt.

There is case law regarding NOA's and which party (assignor or asignee) should present to the debtor. The Law of property act states the following:

'Any absolute assignment by writing under the hand of the assignor (not purporting to be by way of charge only) of any debt or other legal thing in action, of which express notice in writing has been given to the debtor, trustee or other person from whom the assignor would have been entitled to claim such debt or thing in action, is effectual in law (subject to equities having priority over the right of the assignee) to pass and transfer from the date of such notice—'

It does not identify if the notice should come from assignor or assignee although you would think it responsible for one party or the other to get it right and identify themselves as the creditor.

Thanks Gezwee, and Silverfox1961

From what you've said and what I've read seems to me that a NOA is a seperate document that have to be sent to the alleged debtor.

I would have imagined that there is a set format for an NOA , that it has to contain certain details and be set out in a certain way.

All I've had is a letter from The Leeds Losers ( nice one Silverfox) in which they wrote saying that they had purchased the debt. There was some other stuff in that letter and it just seems to me that this isn't a proper NOA at all.

Am I right in thinking this and if so can I just write back and say " This isn't a proper NOA and until and unless you send one, I don't want to deal with you" ?

Have a great holiday and thanks for your help

Valhalla

Just fire this back at them, then ignore them, they, or rather, their computer, will generate random threatogrammes to be sent out until they get bored and pass it back to the OC or sell it on to another laughable outfit.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/resources/templates-library/86-debt-collectors/573-general-debt-letter-if-you-know-nothing-of-the-debt

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Thanks Bazooka Boo

Pretty good letter!

Is it still OK to send the letter even though I'm not querying the debt, just Lowell's authority to be collecting it on behalf of M & S ?

I want Lowells to provide concrete evidence that they are genuinely the owner of the debt, or get lost

Valhalla

Hi Valhalla

Sorry, remember less and less of anything learnt on these forums - guess its an age thing :p

Asked some advice on another thread and .........a genuine NOA proposing legal/absolute assignment must come from the assignor (the OC) and must be served by registered post. Anything less indicates equitable assignment only and its misleading for a DCA to advise the debt has been sold to them when only the collection rights and duties of a debt have.

To be honest I've never acknowledged a DCA and always referred to the OC, if a creditor ever becomes litigious they'll have to involve the OC anyway unless theres evidence of a correctly served NOA

Law of Property Act 1925 (c.20)

196 Regulations respecting notices

(1)Any notice required or authorised to be served or given by this Act shall be in writing.

(2)Any notice required or authorised by this Act to be served on a lessee or mortgagor shall be sufficient, although only addressed to the lessee or mortgagor by that designation, without his name, or generally to the persons interested, without any name, and notwithstanding that any person to be affected by the notice is absent, under disability, unborn, or unascertained.

(3)Any notice required or authorised by this Act to be served shall be sufficiently served if it is left at the last-known place of abode or business in the United Kingdom of the lessee, lessor, mortgagee, mortgagor, or other person to be served, or, in case of a notice required or authorised to be served on a lessee or mortgagor, is affixed or left for him on the land or any house or building comprised in the lease or mortgage, or, in case of a mining lease, is left for the lessee at the office or counting-house of the mine.

(4)Any notice required or authorised by this Act to be served shall also be sufficiently served, if it is sent by post in a registered letter addressed to the lessee, lessor, mortgagee, mortgagor, or other person to be served, by name, at the aforesaid place of abode or business, office, or counting-house, and if that letter is not returned [F1by the postal operator (within the meaning of the Postal Services Act 2000) concerned] undelivered; and that service shall be deemed to be made at the time at which the registered letter would in the ordinary course be delivered.

(5)The provisions of this section shall extend to notices required to be served by any instrument affecting property executed or coming into operation after the commencement of this Act unless a contrary intention appears.

(6)This section does not apply to notices served in proceedings in the court

Gez

well imho do not contact the dca in the future they will have to prove they sent the noa,

why do that for them

The Assignment of the Debt

19. If the Claimant was not zzzzzzzzzzzz Bank then it is not admitted that there was a lawful assignment. The Claimant is put to strict proof that the assignment was lawful and is put to strict proof that sufficient notice thereof was served upon myself. Without this proof the Claimant has no standing before the court.

20. The Law of Property Act 1925 is the relevant act that deals with the assignment of debts. Section 136(1) requires that for the assignment of a debt to be effective, express notice in writing must have been given to the debtor:-

136. Legal assignments of things in action.

— (1) Any absolute assignment by writing under the hand of the assignor (not purporting to be by way of charge only) of any debt or other legal thing in action, of which express notice in writing has been given to the debtor, trustee or other person from whom the assignor would have been entitled to claim such debt or thing in action, is effectual in law (subject to equities having priority over the right of the assignee) to pass and transfer from the date of such notice—

21. However, it is Section 196(4) that prescribes the requirements for giving sufficient notice by post:-

196. Regulations respecting notices.

(4) Any notice required or authorised by this Act to be served shall also be sufficiently served, if it is sent by post in a registered letter addressed to the lessee, lessor, mortgagee, mortgagor, or other person to be served, by name, at the aforesaid place of abode or business, office, or counting-house, and if that letter is not returned [by the postal operator (within the meaning of the Postal Services Act 2000) concerned] undelivered; and that service shall be deemed to be made at the time at which the registered letter would in the ordinary course be delivered.

22. It is noted that by the Recorded Delivery Service Act 1962 a recorded delivery letter is equivalent to a registered letter and that under the Postal Services Act 2000 Schedule 8 any reference to registered post is to be construed as meaning a registered postal service (eg Royal Mail recorded delivery or special delivery).

23. For the assignment of a debt to be effective and so giving the Claimant a right of action a valid Notice of Assignment must have been sufficiently served on me using a registered postal service pursuant to s196(4) before proceedings were commenced. The Claimant is put to strict proof that any notice of assignment was sufficiently served on me before proceedings were commenced. Without this proof, the Claimant has no right of action.

Guest HeftyHippo

Interesting. So although the property act doesn't say that ONLY registered (or recorded) delivery can be used, if anything less is used, then the NOA is invalid? Does that mean that the debt stays with the original creditor?

So, if the creditor sends a letter saying they have sold all rights and interest to a 3rd party, but doesn't send it recorded, then the 3rd party cannot take action, only the orig Creditor? So nothing has changed?

There is no legal requirement at all for a Notice of Assignment to be sent by any form of provable delivery.

However, if it isn't sent in such a way then how can they prove it was ever delivered?

As to the form of a Notice of Assignment - there isn't one. If they write and tell that they have sold the debt to someone else then that's sufficient. Of course they have to say who the buyer is and the date of the sale but that's about it.

As to the seller having to tell the debtor, the Act is pretty vague on this point. All that matters (in law anyway) is that the debtor is told.

I really do appreciate all those 'thank you' emails - I'm glad I've been able to help. Apologies if I haven't acknowledged all of them.

You can also ding my gong if you prefer. :)

Guest HeftyHippo

Thanks palomino

I'd just like to say that sometimes, you want a NOA to be valid, regardless of how it has been sent. eg, the creditor issues a defective default notice and then sells the debt. In that case, you want to make sure that that the NOA is valid and everyone accepts and understands that the OC has no further interest in it (ie absolute rather than equitable).

I'd just like to say that sometimes, you want a NOA to be valid

I see your point.

Well, the buyer and seller both believe that it's valid. If you behave as though you believe it's valid then no-one is even going to think of questioning the validity.

I really do appreciate all those 'thank you' emails - I'm glad I've been able to help. Apologies if I haven't acknowledged all of them.

You can also ding my gong if you prefer. :)

Guest HeftyHippo
I see your point.

Well, the buyer and seller both believe that it's valid. If you behave as though you believe it's valid then no-one is even going to think of questioning the validity.

True. Until you put the point to them that their rescission of the agreement voided it, and then they go and realise that the NOA was invalid...... so the agreement wasn't ever terminated (although they all thought it was at the time), so nothings changed and you still owe the money.

Just because they're sloppy with the paperwork and the law doesn't mean we should let our guard down. It's in our interests to ensure that their sloppiness benefits us only.

I have a debt with M&S Money which is being chased by HFO Services.

I can prove the Notice of Assignment was sent by HFO and not M&S. The envelope is postmarked with the same postmark as HFO letters. Also the letterhead used was not a genuine M&S Money letterhead but one made up by HFO. The letterhead contained none of the legal info that M&S should use. I wrote to M&S about this and they did not really care that HFO were sending out an NOA on an illegal letterhead so I sent a complaint about M&S Money and HFO Services to the Companies Investigation Branch. I also informed Surrey Police, Trading Standards and the Office of Fair Trading. Maybe I should have complained to the FSA as well?

I have a debt with M&S Money which is being chased by HFO Services.

I can prove the Notice of Assignment was sent by HFO and not M&S. The envelope is postmarked with the same postmark as HFO letters. Also the letterhead used was not a genuine M&S Money letterhead but one made up by HFO. The letterhead contained none of the legal info that M&S should use. I wrote to M&S about this and they did not really care that HFO were sending out an NOA on an illegal letterhead so I sent a complaint about M&S Money and HFO Services to the Companies Investigation Branch. I also informed Surrey Police, Trading Standards and the Office of Fair Trading. Maybe I should have complained to the FSA as well?

This issue has been widely debated and the general opinion of the forum is that OCs give permission to DCAs to use their letterheads. DCA staff have confirmed this.

Still needs to be served by hand of the assignor regardless of contractual terms betwixt OC and DCA.

Really depends on the individual and whether they want to accept 2nd hand copy or await assignor served notice.

OC's might give permission for DCA's to use their letterheads but the letterheads have to be legal. A limited company has to have certain information on their letterhead by law and therefore for a DCA to send out a letterhead on behalf of the OC without that information is against the law. Also if the NOA is on an illegal letterhead then I would imagine the NOA would be invalid.

Valhalla, you might want to have a look at the following thread.

Lowells apparently bulk purchased a few hundred Capone accounts. There could possibly be an error in the purchase/assignment so you will need to check your own letter very carefully.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/capital-one/226293-capital-one-group-fos-5.html#post2512526

Apparently they are under no obligation to let you know.. but if they do, it needs to be accurate.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi,

Just a couple a questions on Notice of Assignment.

My understanding is that a NOA must be issued by the Original Creditor notifying the debtor that the assignment is absolute, the date of the assignment and who it has been assigned to. The OC does not have to send the letter directly to the debtor but can give the letter to the assignee who must give the letter to the original debtor. Is this correct?

Without the NOA from the OC, there is no assignment. Is this correct?

Does anyone have any Case Law precedents for NOA? I read the case notes above but didn't see the case it was from.

Thanks

Excellent point WA Newman and one I'd also like some clarity on if anyone can shed the light on this.

Also, in the absence of a NOA, does the DCA have any grounds on which to press for repayment?

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
Hi,

Just a couple a questions on Notice of Assignment.

My understanding is that a NOA must be issued by the Original Creditor notifying the debtor that the assignment is absolute, the date of the assignment and who it has been assigned to. The OC does not have to send the letter directly to the debtor but can give the letter to the assignee who must give the letter to the original debtor. Is this correct?

Without the NOA from the OC, there is no assignment. Is this correct?

Does anyone have any Case Law precedents for NOA? I read the case notes above but didn't see the case it was from.

Thanks

Bit later replying, as only just come across this thread, but no, the NoA does not have to come from the Assignor, it can be issued by either the Assignor or the Assignee, and it does not have to state the date of Assignment, but if it does, it must be correct - if it isn't it can invalidate the Assignment.

Hope this helps if you still need this info.

Magda