gemmabe Vs LTSB "debit" card

gemmabe
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5240 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

To: Lloyds TSB CEO

Via email: [email protected]

11th December 2009

Dear Sir

Sort Code: ; Account Number:

I am writing to complain about a series of events last night which left me unable to access any money from my above account. Your telephone banking service was unhelpful, to say the least.

I recently decided to transfer my business from another bank as introduced a number of charges which would result in me paying far more. I was not happy with this so transferred all my direct debits, standing orders and credits into my existing Lloyds TSB Cash Account (above). I knew that this would provide me with similar features to my old account that I needed, those being:

1. Online banking,

2. VISA debit card (at least this is what it says on the card you provided me with) and, most basically,

3. The ability to withdraw cash from any machine.

Now, having used my card a number of times online for purchases I did not forsee any problem with obtaining £30 from the cash point in my village. However after attempting this twice, each time I was given the message “invalid card”. This seemed strange since I used it just a few days before for an online purchase, and the PIN was accepted, etc. I needed this money so was forced to call your telephone banking service on 08453000000 from my mobile phone, at significant cost to me.

The member of staff informed me that, although my card is a VISA debit card, I can only use it to withdraw cash from a Lloyds TSB cash point. The nearest LTSB cash points this member of staff told me are 3 and 6 miles away! Clearly this is unacceptable to me. Being able to withdraw cash from almost any cash point is surely the most basic of services? I certainly should not be expected to travel 3 miles (when I do not drive) simply to withdraw money from my own account! I have had very basic accounts with other banking institutions before and have never heard of such a thing. This is all the more bizarre given the “VISA debit” logo branded onto said card.

The member of staff went on to tell me that I could still use the card inside the shop (which this cash machine was attached to) to make a purchase and then obtain cashback. This would at least allow me to get the £30 I badly needed. So, after terminating the call I then attempted to purchase my shopping inside this store with my card, however after two attempts, each time was given the message on the PIN reader “incorrect PIN”. With no other way of paying for my shopping, or getting my cashback, I was forced to leave my shopping at the till, which was embarrassing to say the least.

Upon leaving the store, I called your telephone banking service once again and was given somewhat different information. Firstly, the operative told me that I should indeed be able to retrieve my money from any cash point! However after checking with her team leader, she then retracted this! She then told me that the first operative had given me the incorrect information - I cannot use this card for purchases or cashback. This resulted in me having to cancel a planned night out as I had no way of obtaining my money.

So, needless to say, I am extremely unhappy and rather confused. I have a Lloyds TSB debit card with a VISA logo on it, that I can use for online purchases, but not to buy a pint of milk and a loaf of bread at my local shop. I can use it to get cash out 3 or 6 miles away but not at either of the two cash points in my town.

To summarise, I find the following unacceptable:-

1. The conflicting information provided by your staff

2. That I can only withdraw cash at a LTSB cash point

3. That I cannot use my card to make instore purchases and obtain cashback (but I can, bizarrely, use it online!)

I have now established that my Lloyds TSB VISA debit card is next to useless.

Please could you provide me with explanations to the above and suitable resolutions. Otherwise, regretfully, I will have to transfer my banking elsewhere.

Yours faithfully

gemmabe

1. 09/08/2006 - Halifax Account 1 settled in full! £2597.50 :D
  2. 05/10/2006 - Halifax Account 2 settled in full after Prelim ;)
  3. 07/02/2007 - Halifax Accts 1 & 2 further charges - won by default, settled in full
  4. 12/02/2007 - Halifax Account 1 - further charges whilst 3. court claim progressing. Settled in full.
  5. 13/11/2009 - Halifax Account 1 - action begins to fight new overdraft charges

Guest Old_andrew2018

This should serve as a warning to anyone wanting to open any account them, I think many of people must realise that Lloyds are a third rate bank.

funny but

i've got exactly the same card

any i can do all of that.

mine is a silver a/c whats your called.

if you dont know

look online via internet banking site

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

dx100uk - exactly! It says VISA debit on it so surely should be as much use as any other VISA debit card! Surely...

It is just a Cash account I have but that is the card they gave me with it.

3. 07/02/2007 - Halifax Accts 1 & 2 further charges - won by default, settled in full
  4. 12/02/2007 - Halifax Account 1 - further charges whilst 3. court claim progressing. Settled in full.
  5. 13/11/2009 - Halifax Account 1 - action begins to fight new overdraft charges

i think you will find a cash only A/C does not give these benefits.

look onthe lloyds site

they have an accounts description.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Yes, I realise that now :)

Just can't believe how ridiculous it is to have an account that you can ONLY get cash out of a Lloyds cashpoint (3 miles way is nearest!) and I can use it online but not in a shop? Very bizarre! Not to mention the fact it has an erroneous VISA debit logo on it!

Edited by gemmabe
addition last sentence

Thought I would add to my existing post rather than create another:

It is driving me nuts!

Have had various problems with my Lloyds debit/cash card, the latest one being that nowhere seems to want to accept my PIN :confused: Yes, before anyone suggests, I am POSITIVE I am entering it correctly as they only sent it to me early last week!

Since then I have withdrawn cash with it at one LTSB cash point last Friday, but I tried to withdraw cash in a LTSB branch yesterday over the counter but the PIN reader was saying "incorrect PIN". This was my last attempt so it said the card had been blocked, but when the clerk swiped it, it said it WASN'T blocked :confused: She of course was also adamant that I MUST have entered the wrong PIN as the computer couldn't possibly be wrong :rolleyes: Now, I have the confirmation of this PIN sitting right in front of me and it is EXACTLY what I entered BOTH when it was accepted at the cash machine last Friday AND yesterday/today when I tried to get cash out.

So, I am now only allowed one more attempt before my card gets swiped by the next machine I try :Cry: I should also mention that I have recently established that I can only get money out with this card at a LTSB cashpoint (how dumb is that) so now I am stuck without any money til Friday when I will be near one.

Anyone had anything like this happen? I will go into the bank again on Friday and take this PIN slip with me and they can type it in themselves if they like.

P.S. It says VISA debit on it. Although I can't use it in store either, just online. But that's yet another gripe :mad:

is it this one?

Lloyds TSB - Cash account

if so someones telling porkies.

dx

and they

is it this one?

Lloyds TSB - Cash account

if so someones telling porkies.

dx

That's the very one! :mad:

How can a member of LTSB staff get something so simple, but vital, so wrong?

I am beginning to think some people just spout any **** just to get you off the phone ASAP! Oh well, they can listen to my phone calls back and respond to my letter of complaint accordingly.

Meanwhile, I have absolutely no idea what to do next regarding the PIN situation. I am scared of getting my card swiped by the machine just before Christmas :(

looking at http://www.lloydstsb.com/media/lloydstsb2004/pdfs/cash_account_wp_2Nov.pdf

i'd be inclined to phone the 24hrs bank line and tell 'em

get it logged on the system now anyhow.

why can you not use a PO or cashback?

none nearer to you than the lloyds TSB point?

as for the pin, check with them about it and what will happen if you get it wrong again.

it might be an idea to use the PO counter , that way it wont get swiped.

dx

dx

and they

I will try the Post Office tomorrow, thanks :)

The reason I haven't, is because when I called the helpline before, they told me it was only a cash card and, when I asked if I could use it at the Post Office she said NO :mad:

I have already applied for an account with another bank and as soon as that is opened I will transfer everything to them. Hopefully that will be sorted before Christmas.

Lloyds are without a doubt the most useless bank, if not business, I have ever dealt with. From start to finish they have been hideous. Hellifax, I am almost tempted to go back to you so you can screw me for £1 a day on my overdraft to escape this hell. Almost. ;)

Re your Visa Debit Card from Lloyds TSB, I have one and I have never had any problems using it in shops and having cash back, you could ask for a new pin number for your debit card and there is no reason for not being able to use it in shops and having cash back. I only have a cash account with Lloyds and I pay all my direct debits and standing orders through this account, maybe there is something wrong with the card itself as sometimes if they are slightly damaged they wont work.

Well, folks, my PIN "reminder" finally arrived today and, guess what? Not so much as a reminder, as a BRAND NEW PIN! No wonder the card hasn't been working :mad: as they obviously decided to issue me with a new PIN without informing me. Shall try and see if this PIN works tomorrow.