Housing Benefit Investigation- Please help

Gives up
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5275 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My husband and I received a letter this morning to say we are being investigated for housing benefits. When i phoned them they said its because of unclear work on my behalf. Well last year for 3 months only i had a temp job. I did write to the council to let them know but we heard nothing i know i should of followed it up but i didn't then i left the job.

We never wanted to carry on claiming which i stated in the letter. I am so worried now about what is going to happen we are on low income as it is and by god i would love to be working right now but can't seem to get any work. I spoke to CAB and she said it sounds like miscommunication which it was.

We are in debt and fell behind with payments on council tax which we are now paying for.

I don't know where to turn next or what to do, Has this happened to anyone else if so what happened?

I hope to be in work so as i never want to claim for anything again!!!!

Hiya and welcome to cag.

If you read aroungf the threads you will see that there a few in tha same postition.

I have amended your thread title to reflect your situation

ida x

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

Do you have anything at all which could be used as evidence that you advised them of the change in your circumstances?

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

My husband and I received a letter this morning to say we are being investigated for housing benefits. When i phoned them they said its because of unclear work on my behalf. Well last year for 3 months only i had a temp job. I did write to the council to let them know but we heard nothing i know i should of followed it up but i didn't then i left the job.

We never wanted to carry on claiming which i stated in the letter. I am so worried now about what is going to happen we are on low income as it is and by god i would love to be working right now but can't seem to get any work. I spoke to CAB and she said it sounds like miscommunication which it was.

We are in debt and fell behind with payments on council tax which we are now paying for.

I don't know where to turn next or what to do, Has this happened to anyone else if so what happened?

I hope to be in work so as i never want to claim for anything again!!!!

If its an interveiw under caution?, I had one of these IUC last week, mine was awful I was basically called a liar from the start, and was being asked many personal questions regarding the access to my ex and our son, all they are worried about is 'money' and it seems you was made an overpayment during those 3 months and now they want it back, get legal advise hunny before you ring them or go, dont go without a solicitor xx take care

For a housing benefit overpayment not to be recoverable, it has to be shown that it was caused by official error AND that the recipient could not have known it was an overpayment. I think it would be hard to satisfy the second test here; you expected the change to affect entitlement but the council took no action. You have no culpability in the error but I think it would nevertheless be recoverable.

Post by me are intended as a discussion of the issues involved, as these are of general interest to me and others on the forum. Although it is hoped such discussion will be of use to readers, before exposing yourself to risk of loss you should not rely on any principles discussed without confirming the situation with a qualified person.