Is Paying The Discounted Rate Illegal?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4919 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The latest update.

The council has obviously not had much joy with the TEC as they have now put the case back to PATAS.

I believe the reason why they could get no joy out of the TEC is because of contract law I mentioned previously - Their system OFFERED a payment amount, I CONSIDERED and paid and their system ACCEPTED.

I've no doubt PATAS and the council are trying to find a way around this but seeing that contract law is a maxim, I'm interested to see what they come up with.

I'll update you on further events.

My opinion of this is that the case of High Trees House v Central London Property Trust might give rise to an argument that by offering to take a lower amount the council cannot then cause you a loss by increasing the charge after you paid what they said was owed.

However I doubt you will get away with avoiding the full rate PCN altogether: Pinnel's Case, Foakes v Beer.

Post by me are intended as a discussion of the issues involved, as these are of general interest to me and others on the forum. Although it is hoped such discussion will be of use to readers, before exposing yourself to risk of loss you should not rely on any principles discussed without confirming the situation with a qualified person.

You've done well to get this far.

If I were you I would research the doctrine of Estoppel and forget contract law. Contract law does not apply here. This is a civil penalty and civil penalties are not allowed in contracts for one!

Nothing in this post constitutes "advice" which I may not, in any event, be qualified to provide.

The only interpretation permitted on this post (or any others I may have made) is that this is what I would personally consider doing in the circumstances discussed. Each and every reader of this post or any other I may have made must take responsibility for forming their own view and making their own decision.

I receive an unwieldy number of private messages. I am happy to respond to messages posted on open forum but am unable to respond to private messages, seeking advice, when the substance of that message should properly be on the open forum.

Many thanks for your assistance and understanding on this.

• 1 month later...

To Bernie and Zamara:

Yes, I'm well aware of the estoppel factor and both the cases you refer to.

(For those that don't know what we are talking about here's an informative link: Estoppel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

However, Bernie it is exactly your point about civil penalties are not allowed in contracts that gives me power because ALL local authorities are registered as limited companies. (So much for public accountability!).

Therefore I have to give my consent to contract with them and in as much as by supplying joinder - my Mr. name and address - I have done so, I can also withdraw my contractual consent if I believe they are acting unlawful - that's unlawful not illegal!

For them to push this knowing that I intend to be tenacious, they will be messing with the very foundation of contract law.

Cannot wait to see how this one pans out . . .

Nothing in this post constitutes "advice" which I may not, in any event, be qualified to provide.

The only interpretation permitted on this post (or any others I may have made) is that this is what I would personally consider doing in the circumstances discussed. Each and every reader of this post or any other I may have made must take responsibility for forming their own view and making their own decision.

I receive an unwieldy number of private messages. I am happy to respond to messages posted on open forum but am unable to respond to private messages, seeking advice, when the substance of that message should properly be on the open forum.

Many thanks for your assistance and understanding on this.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Still no word. I think we can count that as a success!

Therefore any council that has a payment system that allows you to determine the amount to be paid is fair game. In fact, I see no reason why someone couldn't just pay £10. The law and the result will still be the same; and let's face it:

£60 fine for a 10-second/3-minute infringement of a rule that did not and does not have a financial penalty attached to it in law? And because they say "it's the law" it's considered fair and just???!

I don't think so.

Benn133, ALL of the corporatocracy (Central & Local Government, the Judiciary, the Police, the large corporations) impose their financial penalties on us by using the tool of FEAR twice: the fear we have that they have the power to do what they want and the fear that they can take something valuable from us which is money.

Lose the fear, gain some anger and you will be surprised at how differently you approach the corporatocracy both mentally and practically.