Faulty Goods - What can I do?

stu2525uk
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5309 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

In April 2008 I bought a nice new, shiny set of Nicklaus High ct golf Irons from American Golf fro the grand sum of £500. They came with a 1 year manufacturers guarantee as well as another added year on top by American Golf themselves(as standard).

They developed rust on most of the club heads within that year so I took them back in February this year. The store sent them away to be looked at and a few days later I was given a replacement set. Now I find myself in November 9 months from being replaced and there are little rust spots returning on the head of the clubs again.

Now what am I supposed to do in this situation as looking around for information there seems to be a common saying that you can only reject them with in a reasonable amount of time(generally a few weeks) but surely 10 months is a reasonable time especially given that they are still guaranteed by AG. As golf clubs at that price, should really be lasting upwards fo 10 years in my opinion. I have an old cheap set bought for £100 and they are still fine even 5 years from being bought at a fraction of the price.

What should I do and what would I be entitled to? As there is an inherent fault in the actual product it would seem.

Thanks for any help.

Were they sold as rustless? Metal does rust, it remains a fact of life. The wheels of my bike rust if I don;t take care of them. If you took no preventative action (cleaning them when wet, and ensuring exposed surfaces were protected) unless there was a specific 'no rust' claim - I don't see you succeeding in a formal complaint.

Why? Because Iron rusts?

I've no idea what compund your clubs were made of, but unless it was stainless steel or aluminium, they will rust unless cared for. It is nothing to do with satisfactory quality, but oxidation. If my car rusts, should Ford be liable for a replacement?

As for others - hardly relevant unless you lay the same rounds, weather and storage. You could leave yours t rust in the garage whilsto thers have them in an airing cupboard. Unless they guaranteed the fact the irons wouldn't ruat, any replacement would be under goodwill - not a right.

Well the Iron heads which have rusted are composed of stainless steel plasma and 455 carpenter steel used due to their non corrosive ablilites. Used also in aero planes and space shuttles.

455 - ASM Material Data Sheet

Stainless steel - Stainless steel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And you are trying to tell me their are no defects with the Irons themselves even if I tell you they have been immaculately looked after like all my other golf equipment which I have not had problems with?

The stainless steel composition is 17-4 also.

No, I'm not saying there are no defects - I'm not a metallurgist, nut having 'non corrosive' abilities is not the same as warranting them to be corrosion'free!

If the dealer says theres nothing they can do, and litigation is your only recourse, unless there was a non-rust statement (not simply a 'tendancy' not to) and they chose to defend - you could well lose.

My neighbour tells me after he completes a round and prior to putting the bag into storage, he rubs all the shafts with a cloth sprayed with WD40, and he's never have any rusting, even on his cheapest driver.

I am only annoyed as they were not cheap and I have not had a problem with any other pieces of my golf equipment.

I understand what you are saying but this year I don't think I have played on one rainy day since receiving the replacement although in the morning you still play on the dew on the grass.

If I am being honest I would say it is a design flaw with my limited knowledge of designing of golf eqipment. As below this is how the golf club is actually designed;

I think the way it is not sealed leaves water that is impossible to get to as I have even tried a hairdryer to get it out. Also weight is leant to the fact there is no problem with the Sand Wedge in either of my sets which coincidently is the only club not to have shown any rust.

nikirons.jpg