Moving abroad - what postal address to leave

portlandbill
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5310 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, just need some advice about what postal address to give CC companies when I move abroad.

The situation is I have sold my house and will move in with friends for a few months before emigrating to USA. I do not want to give my friends address for post as I do not want them to get bothered by CC companies if I end up walking away from any debt that I am unable to clear with proceeds of house sale. I also would rather not leave the new owners of my house with hassle from CC companies trying to contact me.

Can I give CC companies a PO Box address either here in UK or better still in USA? Having read lots of information it would seem if i do walk away from any uk debt(£5k-10k max) then they cannot do anything except shout loudly as UK CC debt is not enforceable in the USA. I am in mean time applying to each of them to check the validity of their CCA's.

I want to leave as cleanly as possible and am not telling them I am moving to USA but just intend letting them all know I am emigrating somewhere. I just need a postal address to deal with them in the mean time that will not get visits from anyone.

Any ideas?

thanks

Set up a redirection service

I'm worried if i just setup a postal redirection that if I have any problems with the CC companies down the line they are likely to bother the new owners of my house, and from what I've read of postal redirection it can be a bit hit and miss.

yes it can be hit and miss.

U could set up a po box but it would need paying for and u would need to pick up the post regularly unless u get someone else to do it.

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

I have moved overseas and have set up a local post office box, a little under £10 per year. I have passed the details onto my creditors as an act of good faith and to prove that I haven't "done a runner".

Only time will tell if they are willing to communicate this way but it's their choice.