What is Money ?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5340 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

What is Money?

Many people spend their lives trying to make money, but my experience shows that almost no one really understands what money is. For lack of a few concepts, most people place themselves at a tremendous disadvantage to the few who do understand money and how it works.

It seems almost inconceivable that something of universal importance could be universally misunderstood, at all levels, from child to economics professor. But there is a very convenient reason for all the confusion surrounding something as simple as money: profit motive. We'll pinpoint who benefits from widespread misunderstanding, later.

Before we move forward, ask yourself the question, "What is money?" Have you ever been asked?

"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it." - John Kenneth Galbraith

What is money?

Most people are inclined to point to a distressed note, tucked neatly inside their wallet. Everyone knows that these paper “Bank of England Notes”, "Federal Reserve Notes" “Euro Notes” etc are money, right? Wrong. A paper note is "currency." Currency is about the only thing in the world that is not a form of money.

Money is any tradable asset.

An asset is "tradable" when it carries some tangible value, that is, when it is something that people value. A house is money, because people desire homes. A car is money. A paperclip is money. A service is money, if it is desired and can be traded for other things.

So what is the paper note in your wallet? Isn't it money, too? Well, a Bank of England paper pound note does have some tangible value, I can write my grocery list on the back of it. For the most part, paper is worthless. A paper note is "currency." Currency is an accounting system for money. It is difficult to haul your vacation home to market for trade, so we carry currency instead. Currency in isolation, without backing assets, is worthless.

Assets are money. Currency is a paper accounting system for money. Paper is worthless without money.

It follows then, that the total value of any accounting system for money, or all the currency in circulation, is always equal to the amount of money that backs it. There can be a billion Pounds of currency in circulation, there can be a trillion, there can be a quadrillion, or there can be a single Pound. The number of paper Pounds, or the number of zeros printed on those Pounds, does not matter. The sum total of all circulating currency always accounts for the total amount of money in existence, and nothing more.

This concept is critical to understanding what happened in 2008, and what is about to happen in 2009, and beyond.

So we know:

MONEY = any tradable asset

CURRENCY = a paper accounting system for MONEY

And so:

CURRENCY/MONEY = the amount paper per asset = PRICES

The amount of things an asset commands in trade = VALUE

VALUE almost never changes. The VALUE of a house is four walls and roof over your head, so it always commands a similar house in trade, regardless of their PRICES. PRICE can be anything, it is meaningless with respect to asset VALUE. PRICE, while initially arbitrary, should be stable. However, as we will uncover shortly, the people who do understand money will have none of that.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]....Please don't bother my master 'cos my sister & I might bite you...

I DO NOT offer legal advice

-

"I just say what I say because everyone is entitled to my opinion!"

Site team to went to a vote to see who were worthiest of reading it

and BG won woohooo

ida x

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

Site team to went to a vote to see who were worthiest of reading it

and BG won woohooo

ida x

but can anyone understand it?:confused::confused::confused:

All advice offered here is my opinion only based on what I would do in a given situation. If you wish to act on it you do so at your own discretion

I have no legal expertise or qualification, and give advice on the basis of my own experience and nothing else.

It is a good read... if you read the writing on a note, is is only a "promise to pay" the actual "money" is the work you did or the goods you "sold" to receive the notes.

As a side note, "money for nothing" can never really exist, the notes always represent some work done by someone.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar