help with letter to landlord

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5369 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

we are going to write to our landlord as they are failing to do repairs, we have damp and mould on several walls, floorboards collapsing, cracks in a load bearing wall, smoke alarm goes off for no reason any time of day or night, one wooden window frame rotted to extent window is dangerous, ect...

what i want to know is, how long do i give them to do the repairs? i intend to say they have 1 month to do them or i will call envionmental (spelling?) health in. we have been telling them about some of these problems for 6 months.

also do i take the letter in in person or post it recorded delivery.

For normal repairs there is a specific procedure which you would normally go through (detailed here by Shelter Shelter England - Tenants doing repairs

However, from your description of the repairs they sound structural and therefore well outside this procedure.

Just write to the landlord, list ALL the outstanding repairs. Say that you have made repeated requests for LL to carry out these repairs and that unless they are completed within the next [6 weeks?] you will contact the Environmental Health department of your local council.

I presume you have an address for your LL. The problem with sending it recorded delivery is that he may refuse to sign for or accept the letter. The best idea is to prepare two copies of the letter in two envelopes. Post one first class from one post office and get a certificate of posting (free). Then post the other (either on the same day, or the next day) from a different post office, once again, getting a certificate of posting.

Should LL try to say at some time in the future that he has not received your letter, a judge is unlikely to believe that two letters posted on different days from different post offices have gone astray!

Personally, from your description of the problems you have, I think you should contact Environmental Health anyway!!

You do not say what sort of tenancy you have, but you may have to be prepared to receive a s.21 notice for possession if your LL is annoyed by the letter.

Kentish Lass

Information given is based on my knowledge and experience and is not to be considered as legal advice

That means LL cannot get possession before February. It of course also means you cannot move either. Definitely go ahead and send your letter before action and if the problems are not resolved, involve the Environmental Health department.

Kentish Lass

Information given is based on my knowledge and experience and is not to be considered as legal advice