Interview Under Caution - JSA

rayner
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5355 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am worried beyond belief by a letter I have received today requesting me to attend an intervew with the fraud unit of the DWP.

My situation is this, I'm pretty naive to the whole JSA claiming process in general but found myself unemployed 6 months ago and started claiming JSA. During my interviews I'd asked what would happen if I was to find part time work and was told that anything over 16 hours would have to be reported and I would lose entitlement to JSA. Anything under 16 hours and I could continue to receive JSA as normal.

Now 2 weeks into my JSA period I started part time work at about 9 hours a week. Since it was below the 16 hour threshold I continued claiming and signing on as normal.

From reading these forums I've found out that I should have informed the DWP about this immediately. I've been so naive in this whole matter and can't believe how serious this could be for me.

A criminal record really would mean the end of my life, my whole education and any professional career prospects down the bin.

What lies in store for me? What should I be doing about this? My interview is only several days away.

Thanks to any advice anyone can offer.

Just be honest about it - but be warned that their correspondence does specify what change of circumstances you should report on, and it is specified that commencing any work, no matter the hours or whether voluntary or paid should be declared, and they will put that to you.

An interview under caution doesn't always result in something bad. It depends on the level of fraud and the motive for it. The interview method isn't solely there to confront you. It's also there for them to put across their evidence and for you to give your side of the story.

People who genuinely didn't realise they were commiting fraud and people with exceptional sets of circumstances as a motive are usually given only a warning and the money claimed back, and that's the end of it.

What you hear about prison sentences ect are usually reserved for those whose only motivation was greed, or who have defrauded a large sum over a considerable period of time.

Hope you get on ok.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)