Carshop TWG Warranty problems.. advice please..

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5331 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Evening all,

Having bought a car from the Carshop in Jan 08 with a TWG warranty policy, the car has broken down and TWG say it isn't covered.

I have drafted the letter below to send to the carshop. Please could somebody comment on it and let me know if its ok.

---

For the Attention of: Customer Services

FORMAL COMPLAINT

Vehicle: * – *.

Following a breakdown of the above mentioned vehicle it has been brought to my attention by TWG that the parts affected are not covered under the Motor Vehicle Warranty package that was purchased with the vehicle.

The affected parts are the No. 1 and No. 4 fuel injectors.

After having experienced fuel injector problems with the vehicle owned prior to this. * which was purchased with a warranty provided by * also supplied by the Carshop *, I was very specific in my request that the Motor Vehicle Warranty package for the *, must provide cover for the fuel injectors and other fuel system parts which the Carshop * confirmed it did.

I am now extremely distressed to find out from TWG that they will not cover the parts, as they state they are not listed in the policy schedule.

I am therefore of the opinion that the Motor Vehicle Warranty package has been mis-sold and I require this matter to be investigated as a formal complaint.

In the first instance, if I am not satisfied with your response, I will:

- Raise this matter with British Credit Trust as the credit provider under the Office of Fair Trading Equal Liability Guidance.

- Make a formal complaint to the Office of Fair Trading and The Financial Ombudsman Service regarding the mis-selling of the Motor Vehicle Warranty Package.

I hope that these steps will not be necessary and expect a prompt reply in this matter.

You due diligence is expected.

Yours Faithfully,

---

If you have any other questions or need any further information please let me know and I will reply as soon as.

Would like to get this sorted quickly as need the car back on the road so would like to fax the letter to them tomorrow.

Many thanks.

This is the problem with warranties. It's sold or implied that it covers everything and you have nothing to worry about. This is another practise that needs stamping out immediatly!!

When you buy a car you are entitled to a warranty. A used car for a period has to be covered by the dealer. However, the remainder is not actually a warranty but an insurance policy against the failure of a specific item listed the policy will cover. Therefore, if it's not a part listed then it ain't covered despite the fact it's sold as an all singing and dancing warranty.

It doesn't just end there with used cars though.

Buy a new car and block exemption rules mean you can have it serviced anywhere provided the parts are of equivalent standard. However the extended warranty asks you to accept this as this is an insurance policy and therefore becomes an insurance contract beteween you and the manufacturer.

You think you are buying a car with a XX year manufacturers warranty but in fact you are buying an insurance policy.

This is endemic in the trade and it's about time someone stood up to it. It's fundamentally wrong!!!

In your case, Injectors are now deemed to be wear and tear items so forget pursuing it. Don't take the dealers word about price either. Look and search and you'll get the injectors at a reasonable price.

Thanks for the reply Heliosuk,

I agree that the injectors could be found at a more reasonable price, the problem I have got is mapping them to the ECU, which unless the garage has the right kit they won't be able to do it. Hence stuck with the dealer.

Will do some ringing around tomorrow, but am seriously annoyed as this is the fourth set of injectors in 4 years. 1st on this car since jan 08 but the one before I had 3 sets in 2 years all under the warranty applicable to that car at the time. Hence my reason for specifically asking when the car was bought if they were covered. Still think should pursue for mis-selling of the policy but unsure of my chances.

Will have to have a think a bit more.

Regards

What car is it and year plus current mileage. On HPCR engines, manufactuers are increasingly saying they are service items from around 60K miles. Might be something to do withn the extreme pressures they work under. Also is it a Delphi, Bosch or other system?

there is a bloke on the volvo forums he can help you out.

i will pm you the site address and do a post on there mention proplems with injectors and they will help you find a place also there is a bloke on there that works for a dealership and he gets you the parts with a hefty discount.

Thanks for that Craig.

Will have a look if I can't get anywhere with causing a fuss over the warranty.

The local volve garage are a bit reluctant to do the work if I get the bits, but may be able to persuade them. If not need to find a local garage who can do the ECU mapping and compression tests.

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all,

Just a quick update.

After a fax to the credit provider today, they are willing to make a 'goodwill gesture' towards the costs..

Now just need to get the carshop to make a goodwill gesture which they say they won't do.

They are not very helpful, but still waiting for their official response.

Complaint to the FOS or FSA would cost them more than the offer I want them to make, so am thinking of sending them another letter about this.

On the matter of parts, have found a company who can do a repair to the injectors or replace them for lower costs than volvo offered, so looking more positive if I have to pay it myself.

Regards

• 1 month later...

Brief update.

After several letters and phone calls the car has now been repaired and collected.

Finance company paid approx. half and we paid the rest, after negotiating a 15% discount from the garage on top.

Thanks for all your input and assistance.

Regards

GhostDebt

Seems like a good result but it does reinforce/highlight the problems of the "supposed" warranties given/sold with a used car. The OFT need to be clear about this in that a warranty is not the same as a mechanical breakdown/failure policy and that a garage needs to be clear on this when selling a car.

In fact the whole warranty system needs overhauling. For example, a turbo bearing goes pop after 40K miles but 5 years old. Full service history. Manufacturer say no but in reality supplier to manufacturer warrants part to 100K miles but warranty from supplier still exists for another 60K miles.

Something to think about peeps!!

This could be the reason why in some cases the manufacturer offers 100% goodwill but the labour to change isn't covered and gives a manufacturer the opportunity to back out of any obligation.