Marquis refusing refund on Not Fit For Purpose £60k camper van

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 190 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I bought a camper van from marquis on August 25th ,

I was made to pay in full 3days before this and was never shown the van before as they had a similar van on site just not the orange one I bought ,

when being shown around we discovered the pop top had 4 massive patches and had holes in , the van was 3 months old and I was not informed of this ,

then we discovered the seat was not sitting correctly and wouldn’t sit in it’s right place , the sales manager tried to say it was correct, till I took photos of one on their forecourt, they discovered it was due to parts on each side of the seat missing so they took them off another van and fitted them ,

then we found a rip in the seat , the van hadn’t been cleaned properly but was meant to of had diamond bright done which we think wasn’t done right ,

when going to close the pop top after already saying I wanted my money back or replacement vehicle and being refused

,all the manager said was I’ll repair ,

I kept refusing and said the pop top would need to be replaced , then we noticed the pop top looked like it was years old with deterioration it was almost see through in places and water was coming in from the rain ,

by this time we had been there 3half hours and was nearly 7pm so the manager made us feel like we had to leave and he could only sort it on the 4th September when he returned from holiday , I stupidly left with the van devastated rather than happy ,

on the 4th September I was made to expect an email of collection of the van the 12th, he took this as my excepting the repairs being done, no he made out it was my only choice ,

I took the van away on the 8th September to have to come home early of the 10th as at about 2.30am, water was pouring through the back passenger side of the van , soaking me my friend , sleeping bags , seating area , the wood at back and we think it may of got into the floor as the seating which is on rails was scraping the floor on that side ,

on returning the radio/sat nav/reverse camera wouldn’t work either and would come on and off randomly, I’d had enough and sent an email expressing I didn’t trust the van any more as there were more faults ( some I still haven’t mentioned), they collected the van on the 12th September and I told the sales manager I was done and don’t want the van ,

I got advice from CAB and they said I was entitled to reject the van and get my money back , all marquis had done by this stage was take it to Ford under warranty and they couldn’t find fault so that made me more unhappy to be having anything to do with the van,

I done the email of rejection which was within my 30days and sent on the 16th September before van went for repair , the manager rejected a refund claiming I’ve excepted them to repair but I hadn’t said I was happy to have repair at all and especially after last water soaking ,

I also found out the manager lied about the habitation check it was done in February when they got the van and it sat on a forecourt till the mat when they registered it for a director to demo only , we found out it was the older model and not the newer updated one , it was found to have 1000 miles more on the clock than sold to me , the lies go on

I’m now being told collect the van mon-Fri 8.30-5pm ( we work and they know this ) or they will drop off post keys ( no as I don’t want the van )

I’m worried they will just do this , the only Saturday they offered was 21st October when they know I’ve booked to go to a show and booked hotels ect as no van to use but even if I went there will be no manager or anyone to do hand over so what was wrong with sat 7th even though I just want a refund,

has anyone else had these problems and did anyone win against them before I do last letter of rejection and court 

thanks for the solid block of text!!

spaced now

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

1 hour ago, Aloegill said:

I done the email of rejection which was within my 30days and sent on the 16th September before van went for repair

It's a long complicated story, but I suspect that this could be your ace card.

Could you post it up (and their reply) please?

1 hour ago, Aloegill said:

I was made to pay in full

I'm scared to ask this, but how did you pay?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

Sorry for the long text I will try and separate next time as didn’t read the other email till after 

I paid at the bank

I first paid £3,000 deposit as was told I had to to get the camper sent down from another branch ( thought I was ok as seen a similar camper on the forecourt)

the rest I got half savings, half loans, but not bank loan as they wanted mega rates so went with monza as was recommended by Martin Lewis site

monza loan £20,000

family loans into bank £10,000

but all paid from my bank on the 21 August as asked to pay before collecting so all paperwork was ready 😡 

I will try upload files of the emails sent on the rejection/ refund request and their response as I only have the response at the minute as the other person /partner helped write it out so is on his emails or stored on his tablet sorry I’m not very technical 

and to the way I paid yes I went into the bank and they did a direct transfer, marqis wouldn’t let me go in and pay them saying it was too big a payment and gave me bank details to pay it to which I find strange as went to autosleeper not marquis 

Paying cash was a big mistake.

But, paying a different company to the one you're buying from sounds even worse!...

Are these the companies?

https://www.marquisleisure.co.uk/

https://www.auto-sleepers.com/

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

yes marquis and autosleeper are owned by the same 2 ceo Jeff Scott  and Mike crouch 

I will try upload files of the emails sent on the rejection/refund request and their response as I only have the response at the minute as the other person/partner helped write it out so is on his emails or stored on his tablet sorry I’m not very technical 

and to the way I paid yes I went into the bank and they done a direct transfer marqis wouldn’t let me go in and pay them saying it was too big a payment and gave me bank details to pay it to which I find strange as went to autosleeper not marquis 

Sorry don’t know if the 2 emails are sending or if I’m replying blank pages 

just copy and paste the email txt here 

we need your rejection one.

shame you paid by bank transfer, this is going to make it very difficult to guarantee you get your money back.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

aloegill

I am writing to inform you . MARQUIS LEISURE that I want a full refund for  the autosleeper air campervan xxxxx

According to the consumer rights act 2015 . 

The autosleeperair camper van is not of a satisfactory quality. 

And is not free of faults .

And is not fit for purpose. 

For this reason I am looking for a full refund of all costs associated with the purchase of this fault laden autosleeper air camper van 

Refund and costs

1.) Autosleeper air camper van  £60,345.00 
2.) Diamond bright £350.00 

Please NB that we are seeking legal advice to recoup all costs and damages associated with the purchase of this vehicle and full letter of complaint will follow

Just had email from director  saying they will not reply any more and only to me arranging collection as there still stating I’ve agreed to repairs that they have now completed

that i asked not to be done after the flood through the back and realising what I was told about only having repairs was wrong and how I was entitled to a refund so requesting this after they tried repairing mechanical side and Ford saying they couldn’t find fault and how I should keep monitoring it 

am I right in saying just because I agreed for them to pick the van up and the manager saying the pop top would be replaced not patched up like he was trying to do when I first asked for money back is not me excepting a full repair as the water damage to back happened on the 10th September after the agreement to collect the van as that’s what they keep going back too 

the van was given back from Ford on the 15th September with them saying can’t find fault and I’d have to monitor it which I think I shouldn’t have to 

so full refund email went in on the 16th September still within my 30days but they still went ahead with repairs 

there now also making it awkward for me to even view the van which is even more inconvenience as they know due to only work times ect and I’ve been told do not let them drop the van and leave 

you dont have to accept any repairs within 30 days . you have rejected the vehicle end of!

i would send a copy of that email by royal mail too tomorrow

get free proof of posting from any po counter.

and they

you do not need a solicitor

you should not use email 

formal letter by royal mail.

dx

• I agree 1

and they

I’m not strong enough to fight on my own I wouldn’t know where to start in court

I’m already mentally unwell over all this and getting partner to help sort but he is getting angry as he can see me going down hill

wouldn’t it be a stronger case and more chance of winning such a big company if I had a solicitor 

You really don't need a solicitor. Your case based on consumer law and is laid down in statute. You have legal rights which you will just enforce.

There are no complicated legal arguments involved.

The other side may just cave in when you simply show some determination and that you won't be pushed around.

Just follow the teams advice and you won't go far wrong.

Take control and don't let the dealer dictate how things go.

Was the Monza loan taken out specifically for the purchase of the event? And is it a consumer credit act loan

I suddenly realise that you paid over £60,000 for this van. That takes you beyond the CCA limit.

I understand that you paid by bank transfer. This is for the benefit of others, because it is too late for you, but when you pay anybody by bank transfer then you lose all sorts of rights that you might have had if you had paid using hire purchase by credit card, for instance.

Read our used car guide

The law is clear. You don't need a solicitor to tell you that. You don't need citizens advice to tell you that.

Your rights are clear. You are in the right and you are entitled to get your money back.

The problem is enforcing the law. I'm afraid that the consumer rights act has not been a big success because people go around asserting their 30 day right – but then where does it get you?

The sort of companies that you need to enforce your rights against – predominantly shady car dealers – are exactly those who first of all will rip you off and then ignore your rights.

I'm afraid that in this case, the only thing to do is to start a legal action. You have tried reasoning with them and clearly they not interested. And of course it doesn't help that Ford say that there is nothing wrong with it. How has that happened?

Starting a legal action on this is very easy – but the problem is, that you are well outside the small claims limit and this means that the cost of bringing the action is going to be a lot more and also if they want to start frightening you, they could start delaying things, instructing lawyers – all with the threat that if you lose then you will have to cover their costs. This would not be the case if your claim was less than £10,000 in the small claims court.

Have you got any kind of report from Ford?

Can you tell us something about their warranty? Is there a link to it somewhere on the Internet?

Could it possibly be that their warranty only covers you about the mechanical/engine et cetera condition of the vehicle and nothing to do with its condition as a motorhome?

Please could you give a bullet pointed list of the defects that you have discovered so far.

Also, what is the name of the manager that you have been dealing with there? Don't start being coy about naming people

17 hours ago, Aloegill said:

getting partner to help sort but he is getting angry as he can see me going down hill

ok but to date this is solely because you had no help to do the right things at the right time.

you now have.

CAG!!

dx

• Like 1

and they

• dx100uk changed the title to Marquis refusing refund on Not Fit For Purpose £60k camper van

The loan was only £20,000 and was said for the purchase of a campervan but I’d saved £30,000 myself , £10,000 was family loan 

I’ve been in contact with a Dave shaw who is well aware of how Marquis treat people he has said to use Bristol university law clinic as it’s free and use students overseen by professional solicitors and they are brilliant at what they do so fingers x 

this man seems to have done a lot of dealings with Marquis and has reassured me not to give as that’s what marquis push people to do and for me to have no more contact with them I will keep all updated once they start helping 

Well good luck – but it's a shame that you won't answer the questions that we have put to you above.

I can tell you now that if the advice from the University is simply to start writing letters – then you will simply get more more frustrated as the whole thing delays and you will become fatigued.

I think it's likely that you will find that Bristol University law clinic is mainly run by law students – second years or third years and they will tend to have a very conventional approach which is not you need here.

The conventional approach will simply be to assert your rights under the consumer rights act et cetera et cetera et cetera. I think you are going to find that this needs some very serious aggressive action.

What are you answer the questions above anyway. And whatever happens I suggest that you keep us updated step-by-step so that we can comment.

Just because this is a free forum, you shouldn't underestimate what we achieve here for hundreds of thousands of people every year for the last 17 years

Sorry I must be missing some questions as finding it hard to reply to certain things or up load any documents as with trying to print the whole email conversation ect sorry I’m not very technical 

I do appreciate your help and will still try any which way possible as I’m already exhausted run down and mentally done just like Marquis want 

I don’t mind naming and shaming anyone if it saves anyone else having to go through this too I would love nothing more than for Marquis to be shut down or sued for lots of money they need more action against them 

manager of Marquis Exeter is mr Andrew Hatfield 

after sales manager mr Alan Doherty 

was there any other names you was asking for sorry finding it hard to put messages in order or see what I’ve missed 

Now I think that is all the names. It's just that as long as we are all honest and straight dealing – then there is no problem about naming names.

We also would like to know about the report from Ford and also the guarantee which for say doesn't apply because they can't find any problems.

I understand that the vehicle is still with Marquis. I think I think you will properly need to get it back and get it inspected by an independent inspector.

I'm afraid that this will incur a fee.

I would suggest that if you do this then you write to Marquis and put them on notice that you are going to obtain an independent inspection and if the resulting report confirms your position then not only will you be looking to a complete refund of the vehicle costs but any reasonably incurred costs such as the cost of the inspection.

https://www.marquisleisure.co.uk/services/automarq

Thats the link to Marquis yes Ford is just the mechanical and outside of the vehicle, you get lots of error pages on the link too 

I never got the report of Ford as Marquis still have it Marquis put in an email that Ford could not find fault and for me to monitor it 

the faults are long 

on day of pick up it was pop top holes big patches on it all deteriorating and rain leaking in 

seat not sitting right with gaps wear you sit ( was missing 2 parts ) 

seat belt one was wrong way so couldn’t use seat safely 

seat / bed had rip in side 

blind had tear in it 

while fully looking after taking home 

battery went low it went into auto shut off to protect it after they said they fully charged it 

blind had a tear 

one of the tyres had a nail in it slow puncher 

one of the other tyres had a tread of 5 rest 8-9 which not sure if this was why it had a judder when driving 

found catches on cupboards were the old type not new ones used due to problems they get with these old ones as I had problems too 

mark or repair on passenger seat 

the seat / bed was grinding on the floor as on rails one side had dropped and also unsure if the water ingress had damaged the floor as we had a bad leak in the back passenger side after a big rain fall , it soaked all the back of the van and wood was starting to blow 

the back door was not centred right so big gap on one side 

electrical faults reverse camera /radio / and sat nav 

back door making and rubbing on the back , part of the back panel coming away 

material coming away from back quarter probably due to water ingress 

Unit doors starting to warp not lined up right 

the gas gage falling off , stuff left in fridge and mould in fridge 

sticky residue on awning ( probably from rushing diamond bright if they had done it ) 

there’s probably more I’ve missed 

Did it have a recent MOT?