Seriously slow speed with Plusnet... Any constructive techie advice would be muchas gracias....

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5361 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

I am currently with P/i/s/s/Net, otherwise known as Plusnet who have caused me hassle from day 1! I am moving to Voicenet very soon who I hope will be a lot better. Even Nildram who weren't too good have been better than P/i/s/s/Net!!!

Before you start reading this thread and getting technical, it may be worth reading this thread: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bear-garden/179934-speedup-cleanup-you-pc-2.html where Tez helped me get Spybot S&D working again after some spyware blocked me from going to certain website. It also made adverts show up everytime I clicked on a link that I found in Google. Both of those are now thankfully sorted out.

SO HERE GOES: I connected to this provider on 23rd July. Till about 6pm on 24th July it was nightmarishly slow and then went to the usual speed it was with Nildram.

From 17th August I've had trouble watching stuff on Internet Broadcast Center - IBA :: îøëæ ùéãåøéí - øùåú äùéãåø. It's the Israel Broadcasting Authority news. Most is in Hebrew, but there is some (IBA News) in English. I mainly watch the Hebrew news though.

It's been buffering an average of every 30 secs. BBC iPlayer, ITV ITVplayer & Demand Five were still working though. Till yesterday. Now I can't view anything because it's buffering about every 2 seconds, it's unbearable. It takes about 10-30secs to load articles on Times Online. Loading any page - including CAG - takes what feels like forever!

I did speed tests yesterday and today and was getting thoroughput results of between 154kbps and 265kbps!!! I have a Netgear DG834GT (wireless disabled deliberately) using my Ethernet card which has served me reliably for about 20 months so far.

The reason I refer you to the thread above is because after Tez solved my spyware problems I did nslookup's and was getting these results:

C:\>nslookup consumeractiongroup.co.uk

Server: pth-cdns01.plus.net

Address: 212.159.13.49

Non-authoritative answer:

Name: consumeractiongroup.co.uk

Address: 89.16.177.30

C:\>nslookup iba.org.il

Name: iba.org.il

Address: 212.143.64.150

C:\>nslookup bbc.co.uk

Name: bbc.co.uk

Address: 212.58.224.138

Now I'm of the theory that the first section, right the way through to the words "Non-authoritative answer:" shouldn't be there and I should only be seeing the last bit. I've never heard of this type of issue before. Am I right that this shouldn't be there?

SmitfraudFix, CClookup, WinASO Registry Optimizer, HijackThis, MalwareBytes & Spybot S&D have not fixed it.

Any ideas how to speed up the connection again without waiting for P/i/s/s/Net support to get their act together? Any ideas - if this nslookup issue is a problem - how to fix it?

All help would be muchas gracias!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:!: All the information I impart is my advice based on my experience. It does not constitute professional advice. If in doubt, always consult with a professional. :!:

:-) If you feel my post has been helpful, please click my scales. :-)

Can you give a link directly into a an article or video LP, one that you have watched and timed (don't matter if it is English or not) and then I can click on it to see how long it takes me to buffer for comparison.

Can you give a link directly into a an article or video LP, one that you have watched and timed (don't matter if it is English or not) and then I can click on it to see how long it takes me to buffer for comparison.

Thanks Conniff for your quick response!

I've given up with all till this is fixed.

If you go to Internet Broadcast Center - IBA :: îøëæ ùéãåøéí - øùåú äùéãåø and then click on the top right image (picture of a female & male presenter) below the grey screen bit, that's last nights Hebrew news. Can't get a direct link because it shows up in the grey bit at the top, which you can view in full screen if you press the 4th button once it's loaded. I gave up after 20mins of buffering (which kept restarting, bufferring, restarting, and so on). Eventually it starts, but after about 4 seconds and then spends about 10 minutes buffering another 5 secs of video!

Trying to watch Wallander (Swedish with English subtitles) on iPlayer - BBC iPlayer - Wallander: The Container Lorry - it takes about 4 minutes buffering, plays about 3 secs, buffers for 5 secs, plays 3 secs, buffers for 5 secs, plays 3 secs, and so on and so forth.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:!: All the information I impart is my advice based on my experience. It does not constitute professional advice. If in doubt, always consult with a professional. :!:

Some ISP's change your profile depending on how many disconnections you suffer... maybe you sorting your other problems has lead your ISP to lower your profile? Might be worth your while contacting them

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

Well that confirms that it is your provider. The IBA took less than 2 seconds and the BBC the same.

I used to be able to write Hebrew fluently up until I was aged about 3 and then some fool taught me English.

Some ISP's change your profile depending on how many disconnections you suffer... maybe you sorting your other problems has lead your ISP to lower your profile? Might be worth your while contacting them

Already have and they claim they haven't.

Well that confirms that it is your provider. The IBA took less than 2 seconds and the BBC the same.

I figured as much. It's been going on with every site since yesterday morning & IBA since last Monday and they've been useless!!! I need my internet!!! I can't even use my learning provider's moodle system it's so slow, so I can't study, I can't work, I can't watch stuff, I'm bored stiff!!!

Any ideas how to rectify this without P/i/s/s/net's p/i/s/s/ bad "support"???

I never recall the top bit being on the nslookup in previous lookups. What does nslookup show with you in command prompt? Is it showing the top bit for your provider too, or showing only the bottom bit?

I used to be able to write Hebrew fluently up until I was aged about 3 and then some fool taught me English.

Lol! They say you know when you speak two languages when you can't speak, read or write fluently in either one! That's what it's like with me!

Do you have family in Israel? If yes, where?

Edited by legalpickle
almost simultaneous post by Conniff

I notice that you are not using one of Plusnets supplied routers, may I suggest that you go onto the Plusnet site and check your router settings. You may find that a change in the MTU or MRU settings may help. But in anycase check your settings against their recommended ones.

Log on to your router and see what speed that says you're connected at? If slower than normal, maybe a reset?

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

to

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

C.A.G. Toolbar

I notice that you are not using one of Plusnets supplied routers, may I suggest that you go onto the Plusnet site and check your router settings. You may find that a change in the MTU or MRU settings may help. But in anycase check your settings against their recommended ones.

I've already checked this, and it's been working for the past month or so, and I didn't change the settings.

Log on to your router and see what speed that says you're connected at? If slower than normal, maybe a reset?

I already tried resetting but the router has consistently - and this was also the case with Nildram and other providers - has the provisioned speed of just over 6mb download & 448kb upload written in, it doesn't change at all.

Anyway's my internet suddenly started working a bit faster, so I can use iPlayer & 5 on demand, but IBA still doesn't work and I'm not getting more than 3.8mbps which besides for the past couple of days is the slowest I've ever had from ANY provider!!!

Any ideas?

Even though it's going a lot faster than it was, it's still a lot slower than when I had Nildram or previous suppliers. I'm getting about 3.5mbps. Even neighbours are getting faster (from other suppliers). It's definitely P/i/s/s/net! They claim all is fine! Stupid idiots!

Any ideas would be nice.

Ok people. First things first. On Friday I had a nice long talk to Paul Hope from Voicenet. I highly recommend going with them, as no other company has EVER given me such good pre-sales advice.

Recalling back about two months ago. Nildram were slow (about 4.5mbps) but not as slow as P/i/s/s/Net. I think that some of the problem, though not all, is my lines.

The person in here before me was here for over 15 years and the sockets are really old (and nothing like the newer sockets)! A friend (yes, I do have friends! lol!) came round and opened the sockets with me. The one in my bedroom is the master socket and has two other sockets going out, one to the other side of my dining room, through the wall (they're back to back almost) and the other right the way round my flat to where my computer is). For various reasons moving my computer is out of the question.

I really want to benefit to the max from the 2+ service Voicenet should be connecting (dependant on the British Trouble Openreach engineers waking up in time to go to my exchange) on Friday, so would like to find a telecoms engineer who is competent & reasonably priced to come in and get rid of the other two sockets and replace the socket by my computer into the master socket.

Neither me nor my friend (he's an auto-electrical engineer & very good) want to play around as we're sure all we'll do is completely botch it up!

I've sent Paul Hope @ Voicenet an e-mail asking if he can recommend anybody or knows some way I can find somebody in Greater Manchester (I'm in Salford) besides for the Yellow Pages or Thomson Local (as my experience with making calls to people in either of those publications has been not good).

If anybody here has any ideas please do let me know.

Have you heard of the BT I-plate?

google it as it basicly removes the noise of the "bell wire" and gives less noise on the line (or something... dunno how good it is :p)

to

C.A.G. Toolbar

Have you heard of the BT I-plate?

google it as it basicly removes the noise of the "bell wire" and gives less noise on the line (or something... dunno how good it is :p)

Yup, I have, and I believe a while back I asked questions about it here.

It would be useless for me, as if you read my post you'd see that I have the really old sockets. It only works with the newer sockets that are not one piece of plastic as the front cover, but split into half.