Moving to new property which is new building - need Internet - should I move????

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5366 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, I need your help.

I am about to move into a new property but before I move in I checked with BT and it would take ages for me to have landline.

Why? Because MY POSTCODE CANNOT BE FOUND!

It's a new building and nobody can find my postcode. I tried BT, Post Office, TalkTalk, they all install landlines but they cannot help. Only BT can help but it would take them ages to install it. :mad:

I care less about the cost, I just need Internet in the property, I really like this property and it's all good and fine, but the fact it's a pain to get Internet is really a hitch!!

What's your suggestion? Is there any "magic" or should I look for a new property now? .... I tried to call the Royal Mail but they cannot do much, it's all system stuff and BS, basically you just wait wait and wait until you get landline in a new building, if you get it.... any suggestions, tips, help please???

How about mobile USB? I'm not recommending it, but I'd suggest you look into it. It may be possible to get a temporary trial (I have read that this is possible if you order over the internet - see forum on broadband etc). This way you could possibly move into the property you like whilst the broadband installation is pending. I do urge you to go and read the posts on mobile broadband - there have been some negative posts on it. Still, there are quite a few on landline broadband too. I saw a ad for laptops that come with mobile broadband integrated - if money is really no object.

Found this online:

"Postcode allocation for new properties

The London Borough of Richmond upon Thames is not responsible for issuing new postcodes, that is the responsibility of the Royal Mail. However they will not issue a postcode unless requested to do so by the Council.

Queries about postcodes

Queries about postcodes can be dealt with by the Royal Mail by contacting them on their postcode enquiry line 08456 045060 or visiting their website www.royalmail.com

If you have delivery problems either telephone the Royal Mail’s Customer Service Centre on 08456 054433, or alternatively email them at [email protected]

Postcodes for commercial premises are allocated in the same manner as for residential premises but a large company can apply to the Royal Mail for its own code - known as a large user code. Application for a large user code is the responsibility of that company as they will know what volume of mail they generate.

Why is my address still not on Royal Mail's website?

When the Royal Mail allocate a postcode for an application they would have put the new address in a “pending” state until such time as the works are completed on site. In order that the postman can deliver post to the new address you may wish to telephone 08456 011110, select option 3, then option 1 to make “live” the new address. (The Royal Mail’s interpretation of “live” is that the works are complete, there are no Health and Safety issues to obstruct delivery and that there is a postbox or letterbox to deliver the mail.)"

Although it relates to LB of Richmond, I suspect the general rule is the same.

Therefore:

Council has to send request to Royal Mail to allocate postcode.

Royal Mail does its checks then allocates postcode.

BT (or whoever) can then install land line.

Maybe if there is no postcode, they can't levy council tax either???

When my daughter's (small) firm moved in to new premises, they had the same problem and she had to chase the council, then Royal Mail. It actually did not take that long so before giving up entirely, talk to your local council.

Kentish Lass

Information given is based on my knowledge and experience and is not to be considered as legal advice

I moved in to a newly built block of apartments in June 2005. Had great difficulties in registering for utilities etc. as I also did not have an allocated postcode, just a plot number registered under the builder's name. I didn't have any problem getting a BT landline activated though. Being 4 years ago I can't remember how they did this and things may have changed in the meantime, but I know back then it was possible, I don't think I had to wait more than a week or two either - had more problems with the phone connection wiring the builders had installed, was a complete bodge job which meant trailing wires from the bedroom - but it was certainly possible to be connected.

I have frequently heard of people having trouble with utilities when they move in to new builds. My friend took nearly 2 years to actually get a gas bill for her new house... she had the gas all right but no bills.

Kentish Lass

Information given is based on my knowledge and experience and is not to be considered as legal advice

I think its because everyone uses postcode provider programs on their databases - if your postcode isn't there you don't exist!

I had this problem when companies first started using the databases even though I've lived here years. Had to write to Royal Mail who are the main seller of these programs to say "my address exists, get me on the postcode provider database."

Depends on how fast companies update their programs as well - if they do updates every year you won't "exist" until then! But when I used one of these we updated every month.

So, even when you get a postcode some companies still can't find you!

Good luck

You could try BT again and tell them unless they pull their finger out and sort this you will contact Ofcom, the regulator, and make an official complaint. It is a ridiculous situation!

Kentish Lass