• Tweets

• Yes. I'd be very interested to know how the defendant fared in putting forward the defence that the calaimant had been contributorily negligent by not keeping their cat under control. I'm aware that some people might find that fatuous, distracting or confusing, but the reality is that I'm not aware of any law that imposes a duty upon cat owners to keep their pets under control.  Whereas I believe the law does hold dog owners responsible for their dogs in public places. I'm not certain it was at all beneficial to the OP to suggest that blaming the claimant was a credible defence...
    • Okay, perfect. they did say BS is invoked as soon as i fill in their application form, ill get a pin. i had to press them more on this as they didnt want to discuss BS much. so i should fill in the form and get the pin, then i can initiate BS. What will follow and what should i do after? Thanks again for all the help and patience.
    • Good evening, so not a good weekend reviewing paperwork -- I have lost some proofs of postage.. also, although not provided at CCA, they have now supplied a DN in their WS, please see scan of claimants WS (without statements) Document with tick boxes as signatures doesn't look like an agreement and is split across pages. Documents have been stapled and copied multiple times looking at the top left of them. Aside from that, having read other threads, I suspect they have everything? appreciate your input please Sorry for heavy redactions, I noticed the paperwork was see-through LinkHalifaxCC1.compressed.pdf
    • Received a final demand today Final demand.pdf
    • Here is my final draft: I, XXXXXX, being the Defendant in this case will state as follows; I make this Witness Statement in support of my defence in the claim and further to my set aside application dated 1 November 2022. The claimants witness statement confirms that it mostly relies on hearsay evidence as confirmed by the drafts in person in the opening paragraph. It is my understanding they must serve notice to any hearsay evidence pursuant to CPR 33.2(1)(B) (notice of intention to rely on hearsay evidence) and Section 2 (1) (A) of the Civil Evidence Act.   1.        The claimant failed to comply with the additional directions ordered by District Judge Davis on the 2 February 2024 'The Claim shall be automatically struck out at 4pm on 3 April 2024 unless the Claimant delivers to the Court and to the Defendant the following documents.' None of these documents were received by the court nor the defendant by that date.   2.        I understand that the claimant is an Assignee, a buyer of defunct or bad debts, which are bought on mass portfolios at a much reduced cost to the amount claimed and which the original creditors have already wrote off as a capital loss and claimed against taxable income as confirmed in the claimants witness statement exhibit by way of the Deed of Assignment.   As an assignee or creditor as defined in section 189 of the CCA this applies to this new requirement on assignment of rights.  This means that when an assignee purchases debts (or otherwise acquires rights under a credit agreement) it also acquires certain obligations to the borrower including the duty to comply with CCA requirements (such as the rules on statements and notices and other post-contractual information).  The assignee becomes the creditor under the agreement. This ensures that essential consumer protections under the CCA cannot be circumvented by assigning the debt to a third party.   3.        The alleged letter of claim dated 7 January 2020 was served to a previous address which I moved out of in 2018, no effort was made to ascertain my correct address.  I have attached a copy of my tenancy agreement which is marked ‘Appendix 1’ and shows I was residing at a difference address as of 11 December 2018 and was therefore not at the service address at the time the proceedings were served.  I have also attached an email from my solicitors to the Claimants solicitors dated 14 July 2022 which was sent to them requesting that they disclose the trace of evidence they utilised prior to issuing the proceedings against me.  This is marked ‘Appendix 2’.  The claimants solicitors did not provide me with these documents.   4.        Under The Pre-Action Protocol for Debt Claims 2017 a Debt Buyer must undertake all reasonable enquiries to ensure the correct address of a debtor, this can be as simple as a credit file search. The Claimant failed to carry out such basic checks. Subsequently all letters prior to and including ,The Pre action Protocol letter of claim dated 7 January 2020 and the claim form dated 14th February 2020 were all served to a previous address which I moved out of in 2018.   5.        I became aware of original Judgement following a routine credit check on or around 14th September 2020.   6.        Upon the discovery of the Judgement debt, I made immediate contact with the Court and the Claimant Solicitors, putting them on notice that I was making investigations in relation to the Judgement debt as it was not familiar to me.  I asked them to provide me with a copy of the original loan agreement but this was not provided to me.   The correspondence to the Claimant Solicotors is attached and marked ‘Appendix 3’   7.        I then sent a Data Subject Access Request to Barclays but no agreement was provided. Details the timeline of communication between myself and Barclays are attached and marked ‘Appendix 4’and the copies of correspondence between myself and Barclays are attached and marked ‘Appendix 5’.   8.        The claimant relies upon and exhibits a reconstituted version of the alleged agreement.   It is again denied that I have ever entered into an agreement with Barclaycard on or around 2000.  It is admitted that I did hold other credit agreements with other creditors and as such should this be a debt that was assigned to Barclaycard from another brand therefore the reconstituted agreement disclosed is invalid being pre April 2007 and not legally enforceable pursuant to HH Judge Waksman in Carey v HSBC 2009 EWHC3417.  Details of this are attached and marked ‘Appendix 6’.   The original credit agreement must be provided along with any reconstituted version on a modified credit agreement and must contain the names and address of debtor and creditor, agreement number and cancelation clause.   9.        Therefore the claimant is put to strict proof to disclose a true executed legible agreement on which its claim relies upon and not try to mislead the court.   10.   As per CPR 1.4(2)(a) the court encourages parties to cooperate with each other in the conduct of proceedings in order to try and save time and costs for the parties and to also save the time and resources of the court however, despite vast attempts at mediation the claimants have been most unreasonable and have remained unwilling to mediate. Until such time the claimant can comply and disclose a true executed copy of the original assigned agreement they refer to within the particulars of this claim they are not entitled while the default continues, to enforce the agreement pursuant to section 78.6 (a) of the Credit Consumer Act 1974. I believe that the facts stated in this Witness Statement are true.  I understand that proceedings for contempt of court may be brought against anyone who makes, or causes to be made, a false statement in a document verified by a statement of truth without an honest belief in its truth. Signed                 ………………………………………………….. Name                  XXXX Date                     30 April 2024
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Capital (one) Justice

johnerog
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5113 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Also with no agreement there is no agreed term for rate of interest or timing of repayments. How then can a payment be 'late' or charges levied etc, etc. Does that not make the data inaccurate?

i think the lender would show proof to the court, where the court had found the agreement to be legally unenforceable, in in respect of defending an appliction to have the credit information expunged, the drawing of credit/use of the credit card and the monthly statements sent to the debtor which showed the capital and interest thereon and that the debtor then paid those statements over often a considerable period of time

he would then invite the judge to consider if the debtor honestly and earnestly believed that he was borrowing money from the creditor without interest and had not noticed the interest on his statements

Or

if in fact, buoyed by his success in having the credit agreement ruled legally unenforceable, the debtor was now "chancing his arm" in seeking to now have his cake and eat it

being a realist, and living in the real world - is suspect the verdict will not go the way of the debtor in 99.999% of applications

but as i said- good luck - i;ll be more than happy to eat my words

and in fact it is my personal opinion, where people (like me) have got into debt- not because my arm was twisted up my back by 8 or 9 credit card companies- and forced to go out shopping on the card- but through my own stupidity in spending money that i didnt really have- that it does no harm to be "credit wrecked" for some time in order to learn the lessons of living within one's means

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

and in fact it is my personal opinion, where people (like me) have got into debt- not because my arm was twisted up my back by 8 or 9 credit card companies- and forced to go out shopping on the card- but through my own stupidity in spending money that i didnt really have- that it does no harm to be "credit wrecked" for some time in order to learn the lessons of living within one's means

Wise words DD.

Any knowledge I possess or advice I proffer is based solely on my experiences in the University of Life. Please make your own assessment of legality, risks & costs before taking any action.

he would then invite the judge to consider if the debtor honestly and earnestly believed that he was borrowing money from the creditor without interest and had not noticed the interest on his statements

Well yes of course the debtor would know he was paying interest.

But consider why. The debtor believes he is obliged to pay the interest through ignorance of the law whereas in fact he never agreed to the interest and was never obliged to pay it - just thought he had.

I believe I have repaid what I borrowed (and probably a fair bit more) but I do not want to pay unfairly levied charges and interest, especially when I see what greedy, two faced, conniving bar stewards they all are.

I do get a tad tetchy when people suggest I got into this mess all by my own bad management. When I started using credit the interest rates were around 15-18%. I now see interest rates on my accounts of 30-35% !!

No wonder I can't bloody keep up, the interest accounts for virtually all my repayment. And this with a lowest Bank Rate in living memory.

Edited by basa48

basa im with yu on the interest front- and the justification for this hike in interest is that they are "losing" money, most of the losses they are taking are created by the very problem you highlight in getting justice for the charges and interest compounded on them as for your other argument about, not paying - thats a hard one - but i can and do still agree with your basic contentions - keep up the good work - and very best of luck - pb

Well yes of course the debtor would know he was paying interest.

But consider why. The debtor believes he is obliged to pay the interest through ignorance of the law whereas in fact he never agreed to the interest and was never obliged to pay it - just thought he had.

I believe I have repaid what I borrowed (and probably a fair bit more) but I do not want to pay unfairly levied charges and interest, especially when I see what greedy, two faced, conniving bar stewards they all are.

I do get a tad tetchy when people suggest I got into this mess all by my own bad management. When I started using credit the interest rates were around 15-18%. I now see interest rates on my accounts of 30-35% !!

No wonder I can't bloody keep up, the interest accounts for virtually all my repayment. And this with a lowest Bank Rate in living memory.

i don't think anyone has suggested that YOU got into a mess all by yourself, i certainly didn't, and i notice that on one thread you defend the right to play devils advocate, with other peoples points of view ( s98 springs to mind) yet when the same principle is being applied to your points you get "tetchy":rolleyes:

i fully agree with your points but you should have noted by now that my advice tends to come from what is likely to happen in the "real" court room rather than the "hypothetical" one in which perry mason or rumpole operate

as for "ignorance of the law"- as a general concept - ignorance of the law is not an excuse" - and the law will often hold that a man of prudence ought not to sign that which he is unaware of since when he does he is bound by his deeds.

it is clear from your posts that you are intelligent and capable of dechipering and working out what the terms and conditions of the agreement and the consumer credit act mean- indeed you have made some stirling observations of the nuances of the terms

you then would come totally unstuck- when lost for a legal argument- to then plead attempt to plead"ignorance" or as the judge might say, attempt to use the law of approbation and reprobation (i think i got those words right)

just playing devils advocate!!

dd-basa, can see what dd is doing basa, he is putting your theory to hard test, however, the other side to the argument about signing in ignorance of the law is, -eg, had £10 note - now misplaced money, you cannot go t the bank and give a copy of the one you had in the cupboard and now having lost it want the bank to pay on a copy. = yu got nowt.

same in law, if yu got nowt - you get nowt - pb

i don't think anyone has suggested that YOU got into a mess all by yourself, i certainly didn't, and i notice that on one thread you defend the right to play devils advocate, with other peoples points of view ( s98 springs to mind) yet when the same principle is being applied to your points you get "tetchy":rolleyes:

Point well taken DD. I do get tetchy on this point though, maybe because I feel uncomfortable not being able to pay my way.

as for "ignorance of the law"- as a general concept - ignorance of the law is not an excuse" - and the law will often hold that a man of prudence ought not to sign that which he is unaware of since when he does he is bound by his deeds.

Well yes, I always thought ignorance is no defence. However when you sign any document you do not always know what should or shouldn't be in that document by law. Sure you should read everything you sign, but how does a lay person know if something vital is missing? Basically being ignorant of your own ignorance (if you see what I mean).

you then would come totally unstuck- when lost for a legal argument- to then plead attempt to plead"ignorance" or as the judge might say, attempt to use the law of approbation and reprobation (i think i got those words right)

just playing devils advocate!!

Well hopefully I may get a chance to plead this 'ignorance' later this month when I revisit this damn set-aside hearing. The first judge already said I would be daft not to plead ignorance and that my payments were made by 'mistake'.

PS: Don't think for one second I have taken any offence to our exchanges here. I love a good debate and appreciate the other side of every argument. It keeps us all level and focussed.

Point well taken DD. I do get tetchy on this point though, maybe because I feel uncomfortable not being able to pay my way.

Well yes, I always thought ignorance is no defence. However when you sign any document you do not always know what should or shouldn't be in that document by law. Sure you should read everything you sign, but how does a lay person know if something vital is missing? Basically being ignorant of your own ignorance (if you see what I mean).

Well hopefully I may get a chance to plead this 'ignorance' later this month when I revisit this damn set-aside hearing. The first judge already said I would be daft not to plead ignorance and that my payments were made by 'mistake'.

PS: Don't think for one second I have taken any offence to our exchanges here. I love a good debate and appreciate the other side of every argument. It keeps us all level and focussed.

thanks- keep us posted

I think we are getting side tracked here. If you read the statement you will see that I stated that Cap1 have no agreement and I have asked for a declaration of parties.

Cap 1 cannot argue about that, they have admitted it, TWICE. The Muguff arguement is dead in the water.

That was the point I was trying to make - in your case there is clearly NO agreement in existence - therefore there can be NO TRUE COPY - it would be as invisible, weightless etc. as the non-existent original. :) I was trying to make this point is a humorous manner to illustrate just how stupid the recent rulings are (although they may be useful if they might be used to prove OC's do sometime lie - gosh - shock horror!) but this must have got lost in translation.

BD

That was the point I was trying to make - in your case there is clearly NO agreement in existence - therefore there can be NO TRUE COPY - it would be as invisible, weightless etc. as the non-existent original. :) I was trying to make this point is a humorous manner to illustrate just how stupid the recent rulings are (although they may be useful if they might be used to prove OC's do sometime lie - gosh - shock horror!) but this must have got lost in translation.

BD

However, if we consider Waksman's ruling, he said:

53 (12). Obviously, in theory, there is more possibility of error if a creditor reconstructs from sources other than the executed agreement itself but for it to be able to reconstruct at all it will need the details of the debtor, the type of card and the date when made. If it has such details, it appears that there is no real difficulty in ascertaining the applicable terms including the relevant Prescribed Terms. And if so, there is unlikely to be a real risk of inaccuracy; I do not accept that a reconstituted copy is simply based on “mere assertion” by the creditor. It must – of necessity – be based upon records held as to the debtor and the agreement he made. That a creditor needs to take care when providing the copy is highlighted by the fact that it is implicit in its duty (as stated by Mr Gun Cuninghame) that it is an “honest and accurate” copy;

54. Accordingly, the copy need not be as contended for by Mr Uff and Mrs Thompson and instead, a creditor can satisfy its duty under s78 by providing a reconstituted version of the executed agreement which may be from sources other than the actual signed agreement itself.

I still say it is impossible to make an "honest and accurate copy" of a non existent agreement as by definition the copy would itself also not exist. "something" is not a copy of "nothing". It is in fact the exact opposite.

0 is not 1 and 1 is not 0 and they can never be equal or equivalent.

BD

beware- it is an honest and accurate copy of the information that was in the agreement- rather than a copy of the document itself, that was referred to

the creditor may well submit a blank agreement from their document archives and seek( and may suceed) to pursuade the judge that this is the agreement upon which your details would have been entered

the one thing of course they cannot re produce is your signature so i think it is important that you deny ever having signed such an agreement rather than simply putting them to proof (IMO)

but if they then do come up with an agreement with your signature on it you might be looking a bit sick

but if they then do come up with an agreement with your signature on it you might be looking a bit sick

I've long argued that this is a poker players ploy by the lenders.

If they either can't find an agreement or find it is unenforceable, they send a reconstituted one.

Who dares argue the 'real' agreement is unenforceable when if push comes to shove they might just pull the real enforceable one out of the bag? :(

the one thing of course they cannot re produce is your signature so i think it is important that you deny ever having signed such an agreement rather than simply putting them to proof (IMO)

If you are CERTAIN you never signed that specific agreement then I would stick to your guns and deny signing it.

However if you MIGHT have signed one with this OC then you could simply and truthfully state that you cannot recall signing this specific agreement. Personally whilst I know I have taken out a lot of credit over the years - and have signed many agreements - I do not recall signing any specific agreement - which is why I have asked for cca copies to confirm matters (which of course they don't becasue of the recent crazy rulings on reconsitution). No judge can recall EVERY time he/she signed anything - so why should any LIP?

I also do not believe any credit agreement has yet been enforced in court if the original signed agreement cannot be produced there. Can anyone refute this last point?

Also if it does exist surely a full signed copy of it must be produced (in full - including signature) in response to a CPR request - so it can't just be produced with a flourish in court?

BD

• 4 weeks later...

Hi John - how are you doing? Is there anything new happening?

Just wanted to ask you (and I'm sure the answer's probably here, but you're now at 19 pages ;-) Did Cap1 ever supply you with ANYTHING that they insisted was an agreement (if you recall, they've supplied what appears to be a signed application form to me, insisting it's the agreement), or were you lucky (?) enough not to have anything provided? I'm also thinking that if it's the former, then perhaps it's your case that has started them providing various pieces of paper to others, in the hope that the majority of people will be fooled by this?

I'm just wondering if it's worth my while following in your footsteps?

Hi Flooz

Nothing happening at the moment, we've had a flurry of letters back and forth but its all smoke and mirrors. But; I'm getting better and I have'nt forgotten.

As to your question. Yes Cap 1 sent me terms and conditions and insisted this was all they had to supply. They sent me a schedule of cost and the threats continued up to the day before the hearing.

I went to court because they would not (could not)show me a legally binding document.

Are you working flooz? because I have been helping a friend who is out of work. He has just had a hearing scheduled for nothing (no court fee's), its similar to yours, he's asked for a company to provide a legaly binding contract or have the one shown (application form) declared unenforceable.

If you are certain that the contract you hold is unenforceable its a move that would stop them pulling a rabbit out of the hat at a later date and leave them no room to manourver. You can have copies of what I did if you wish but you will have to PM me you e-mail.

John

• 5 weeks later...