Playing Them At Their Own Game:

Spiceskull
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6620 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Some thoughts since joining this group and reading many hundreds of the threads:

In the first instance, 'our' claim is that the charges levied are unfair and punitive. I think it would be hard to find a dissenter to this view.

The legal argument is that the charges are illegal, due to the fact that they are punitive, and do not reflect the true cost to the bank for 'rearranging' MY account. In this we must consider that each infraction MUST be considered on it's own merits, and therefore any charge must reflect the conditions that exist in MY own account.

When the bank tells me that the charge is a 'standard' charge, they are admitting that the charge has not been considered due the state of MY account. Rather they are charging me without considering what MY account has cost them by way of inconvenience.

Another point I have been considering in advance of the bank contesting my claim. I, as a customer 'paying for a service,' have an inalienable right to know what I am getting for my money. In the event that they query my claim, I am going to keep them on the phone for as long as possible by the following means:

For each and every charge levied (there are hundreds...) I will ask what the charge is for. They wil no doubt reply "because you did XYZ..."

My response to this will be to state that I know what caused the charge, what I want to know is what service I am getting for the charge, itemised, time spent, cost of materials etc. They claim that they are providing a service, I am paying, and I DEMAND to know what I am paying for.

I will do this for EVERY charge until one of us gets bored of the stonewalling. My next tactic will then be to ask for a receipt for each and every 'service' I have paid for. As a paying customer I am fully entitled to request a receipt...

If anyone thinks that this is petty, please let me know, and if anyone can add to this stubborn git's determination...please let me know that as well. My bank has caused me no end of stress and wasted time over the years, and I just feel that it is payback time at last...

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

The trouble is that on the phone you are merely dealing with cannon fodder. They have no authority. They have no idea what the charges are really for or how they are calculated and they are just doing their job and they want to go home.

So hassling these people doesn't really help and it gives one a false sens of satisfaction.

Much better to disregard them. Send in your letters ruthlessly. Ignore the rubbish you get back in return from the bank and just go in and take your money back.

Hi BF,

I already got the ruthless message from you over the last few days - it's amazing how much confidence your attitude can give people and boy, am I burning for it...

I wouldn't be putting cannon-fodder on the line with this tactic (I don't like making weak people cry...) - I would ask to speak to the manager before letting rip...someone who had better understand what I am asking, because if they don't, then what the hell are they doing in a position of financial authority...

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Part of the cannon fodders' job is to take all of the flak. You will never get to speak to a manager at a call centre - they are always in meeting, at a conference. One will call you backand never does.

The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread.

I beg to differ - I know call centres from old, and when outsourcing financial product support they must:

Be fully aware of data protection compliance

Record calls

Have someone to escalate cases to

Have an open channel to the financial service provider

Whilst the minutiae may have changed, those four principles are key to call centres getting contracts for financial work. Whilst remaining calm and polite (the cannon-fodder know jack sh*t) you can DEMAND to speak to a supervisor, and the supervisor's supervisor, ad infinitum.

You WILL eventually get through to an authorised member of the financial institution who will know what they are talking about. After all, SOMEONE is legally responsible for these people, and for the advice/support they give.

All this may be correct Spiceskull, but there is no getting away from the fact that what you want them to do - refund all your charges - is against the banks policy (no matter how unlawful). Therefore, the chances of you getting someone on the phone in a call centre, who is in a position to violuntarily give you a full refund seems to be pretty slim. If you look at the people on this forum who are successfully getting their money back, they pretty much all seem to be doing it once they have left the realms of call centres well behind and are now dealing with 'proper' people in the banks legal department, who are empowered to to make refunds.

Robertxc v. Abbey - £3300 Settled in full

Robertxc v. Clydesdale - £750 Settled in full

Nationwide v. Robertxc - £2000 overdraft wiped out, Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Style Card - Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Abbey (1) - Data Protection Act action. £750 compensation

Robertxc v. Abbey (2) - Data Protection Act action. £2000 compensation, default removed

The opinions on this post are those of Robertxc and not necessarily the opinions of the group and do not constitute sound legal advice. You are advised to seek professional legal advice.

That's a fair point about progress...my intention is to 'bore them' as quickly as possible, so my case can be expedited up the ladder with all due haste...

The quickest way to get things 'up the ladder' is to send them a summons, which you'll have to do sooner or later anyway. Once this is done they have an absolute deadline which they cannot ignore. :)

Robertxc v. Abbey - £3300 Settled in full

Robertxc v. Clydesdale - £750 Settled in full

Nationwide v. Robertxc - £2000 overdraft wiped out, Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Style Card - Default removed by order of the sheriff

Robertxc v. Abbey (1) - Data Protection Act action. £750 compensation

Robertxc v. Abbey (2) - Data Protection Act action. £2000 compensation, default removed

The opinions on this post are those of Robertxc and not necessarily the opinions of the group and do not constitute sound legal advice. You are advised to seek professional legal advice.

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/07/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6620 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks