zero hours contract

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5374 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Can anyone tell me the law on ZERO HOUR CONTRACTS,

my question is that i am at present employed with a contract by my current employer,can they change my current contract and enforce a ZERO HOURS CONTRACT on me.

any help please

lakeland.

They cannot vary a fundemental part of your contract without consultation with you first. They would need to have your agreement to varyt he contract otherwidse they would be in breach of it.

There are 3 options;

1. Accept the contract

2. Oppose the contract but continue to work until it is resolved

3. Resign and try and claim unfair dismissal

The company may dismiss you if you do not accept the contract and offer your job back under the new conditions. Again you could claim unfair dimissal if you have at leats 1 years service.

• Haha 1

Have a look at employment contract law. Information is on the ACAS website and the direct.gov website. I think it would be helpful to have a look at the employment rights act 1996, it'll help you.

Are you a member of a trade union? Perhaps consider joining. They can help so much with issues like this in negotiating for you.

George Loveless - “We raise the watchword, liberty. We will, we will, we will be free!"

My advice is only my opinion, I am not a legal expert.

IF YOU LIKE THE ADVICE I'M GIVING AND ARE HAPPY WITH IT, CLICK THE SCALES ON THE BOTTOM LEFT OF THIS POST AND TELL ME.

Hi Lakeland,

Aaron's advice is correct - but do remember you would need 12 months continuous service to pursue option 3.

As an aside, I think zero hours contracts are a distasteful creation – but at least they make calculating holiday entitlement and holiday pay more difficult for your employer!

Good luck

Che

...................................................................... [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Please post on a thread before sending a PM. My opinion's are not expressed as agent or representative of The Consumer Action Group. Always seek professional advice from a qualified legal adviser before acting. If I have helped you please feel free to click on the black star.[/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS] I am sorry that work means I don't get into the Employment Forum as often as I would like these days, but nonetheless I'll try to pop in when I can.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Red]'Venceremos' :wink:[/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT]

Che,

The company i am with at present took over my current contract from my old employer in March of this year, and they have stated that my contract will remain as before, i had been with my old company in excces of 12 years.

Thanks for advice and comments

lakeland