• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

PPI amalgamated into loan repayment?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5034 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Single Cover must equate to single premium which is a reason for mis-selling :eek: IMO

aa

I am mega busy with work right now and haven't had much time to get on here. Can you expand on the above, Alan?

Also, can anyone clarify the FO statement that PPI can be added into a loan? They told me this over the phone. I thought the had to be separate? That means I'm paying interest on the total amount and not two separate ones.

6 weeks to go until HBOS respond. If they ever do.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, feels odd being back on the site. A very busy Autumn/winter has taken me away from home. Must catch up on other threads.

Well HBoS blew the Ombudsman's complaint out, as I thought they might. I still will not let this lie and now need to go after them on the enforceability of the agreement which, as pointed out in the early parts of this thread, shows it to be the mess it is.

I am unsure about approching random solicitors over this but I do recall a post back in oct/Nov stating that 'honourable' firms - i.e., no shsrks - were now starting to take accept clients who may have a case. Can anybody point me in the direction?

Best for the new Year.

And heres my argument,

Consequently, where (which appears frequently to be the case) a borrower was told at

the time of taking out a loan that the taking of PPI was a condition of the loan or that

the loan would not be granted without the inclusion of the PPI, then the PPI would be

classed as mandatory insurance under paragraph 4 of the 1980 regulations and should

form part of the charge for credit. If in such circumstances the PPI was included in the

amount of credit rather than the charge for credit then the agreement will fail to

comply with the 1983 Regulations and will be unenforceable and in the case of

agreements entered into prior to 6th April 2007, as the amount of credit is a prescribed

term, the agreement will be irredeemably unenforceable.

Can you expand on this? They have denied my claim (sent via the Ombudsman).

• 4 weeks later...

I was always under the impression it was.

HBoS came back stating the premium was monthly when it clearly is not. Please see the scan at Scans :: StACS1.jpg picture by kakkadoo - Photobucket and correct me if you think otherwise.

They have aslo refused to tell me:-

who the underwriter is

what commission was paid

all on the grounds that the above do not fall under the provisions of the DP Act.

The case is now back with the ombudsman and I'm reporting HBoS to the Information Commissioner for not supplying all letters and notes on this account, which they have indeed failed to do. Seem to be going nowhere with this and STILL can't get a solicitor to even look at it, let alone take it on board!

FlyboyAgain,

I have this day received a letter from Lloyds TSB stating that they cannot disclose whether they receive a commission, or the amount of any commission because this information is confidential as between the bank and insurer and that they are under no Legal or regulatory obligation to disclose such information.

However it carries on to say that;

DECISION I have reviewed the records relating to the sale of your loan protection policy and have taken into account your comments noting your circumstances at the time of sale. ( I was self employed)

I have decided to uphold your complaint and offer to settle your complaint which is in line with standard redress remedy recommended by the Financial Ombudsman Service. The offer I propose to make involves two calculations.

Calculation One

I will calculate the difference between the settlement balance you have paid on the loan and what the settlement would have been had the PPI premium not been added to the loan.

Calculation Two

I will then calculate the amount you have paid up to the date of calculation and refund this back to Consumer Debt Recovery. This is worked out by calculating how much you paid each month in respect of the Insurance Loan alone and then multiplying this figure by how many months the Insurance was active for.

I have forwarded the letter to the FOS who have taken up the complaint some many weeks ago.

I would appreciate any comments/advice re my ongoing complaint.

"EXEMPLO DUCEMUS"

JGJ,

Looks like you have gotten some kind of result. Shouldn't they also be adding interest onto what they're paying you back? I'd need to look into it again but I'm sure they should. However, if you've gotten this far you may wish to accept it.

Who is 'Consumer Debt Recovery'? A division within Lloyds or an outside DMA?

FlyboyAgain,

Reading further into their offer, Interest is mentioned thus so:

1) After my post #108, CALCULATION TWO

I will then add simple interest at 8% per annum to each monthly payment from the date you paid each amount, to the date the loan closed.

A further 8% simple interest per annum will be calculated when I receive your signed acceptance. This will only be processed at this point to ensure the figure is calculated accurately and more importantly, correctly.

The calculated simple interest at 8% will then be refunded into your bank account.

Please be advised that this redress remedy has been designed to ensure that you are put back to the same position you would have been in, had the single premium PPI/LPI not been included with your loan. The redress remedy that I am offering you is the same redress remedy that an adjudicator at the Financial Ombudsman Service would make in your favour.

Although we are prepared to refund you the Loan Protection Premium as outlined above, we do not agree that the loan agreement between us was unenforceable or contravines the Consumer Credit Act 1974 or any associated regulations.

ALSO as in your post #107 they have refused to:

1) Refused to state who the underwriter is.

2) Refused to state as to any commissions paid as information is confidential and are under no legal obligation to disclose.

I need to take a real good look at the implications as to the offer as I smell a proverbial Rat!

Your comments will be gratefully received.

"EXEMPLO DUCEMUS"

Hi Flyboy and JGJ:)

It's the lack of actual figures from LTSB which worries me...........and the fact that the FOS expects us to sign acceptance forms in Full and Final settlement of a PPI claim with no knowledge of how much refund is being offered.

Something definitely smells:eek:

Landy x

LTSB PPI on various loans (current/settled) - Refunded inc 8%

MBNA 1 Charges - Refunded inc CI

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 Charges - Refunded inc 8%

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 Accident Ins - Refunded

Swift Advances (settled) Mortgage Charges -Partially refunded

Swift Advances (settled) Mortgage PPI - Refunded inc CI & 8%

Sainsburys (settled) Loan PPI - Refunded inc CI +8%

Sainsburys (closed) Card Charges - Refunded inc CI + 8%

M&S Money (closed) Card Charges - Refunded inc CI

M&S Money (closed) Card PPI - Refunded inc 8%

Direct Line (settled) Loan PPI - Refunded inc CI + 8%

Debenhams Card (closed) PPI - Refunded inc 8%

Swift Mortgage Charges -Refunded

Hitachi Finance (closed) Charges - Refunded

landy alert,

I think we are all honing our nostrils to the smell of the rat bait. I definately need to take further advice from anyone who would care to offer info/advice re the PPI offers.

I like FlyboyAgain need specific advice re the calculations that they are using. :confused:

Unfortunately my experience is that the FOS will say the method used by LTSB is correct - which is of no help whatsoever if the figures they have used are incorrect or if they just won't give you those figures:mad:

If you try to dispute what LTSB/the FOS say the FOS merely refer it to what they call 'full adjudication'.

Apologies that I can't offer any specific advice,

Landy x

LTSB PPI on various loans (current/settled) - Refunded inc 8%

MBNA 1 Charges - Refunded inc CI

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 Charges - Refunded inc 8%

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 Accident Ins - Refunded

Swift Advances (settled) Mortgage Charges -Partially refunded

Swift Advances (settled) Mortgage PPI - Refunded inc CI & 8%

Sainsburys (settled) Loan PPI - Refunded inc CI +8%

Sainsburys (closed) Card Charges - Refunded inc CI + 8%

M&S Money (closed) Card Charges - Refunded inc CI

M&S Money (closed) Card PPI - Refunded inc 8%

Direct Line (settled) Loan PPI - Refunded inc CI + 8%

Debenhams Card (closed) PPI - Refunded inc 8%

Swift Mortgage Charges -Refunded

Hitachi Finance (closed) Charges - Refunded

• 5 months later...

This is a final update to this.

After a lengthy consideration, the Fin Omb has found in HBOS' favour on two accounts:-

1. The PPI was a separate entity and not amalgamated (absolute tosh!)
  2. The payment protection was not forced up us nor was it a condition to the loan being approved. (yes, it was!)

I duly appealled with further paperwork and evidence and the FO still found for HBOS, even after I know that they failed to supply to me with internal notes and letters pertaining to the PPI; they have denied any existence of such and I am still awaiting the Information Commisioner to get back to me on HBOS not fulfilling the conditions of a DSAR.

So, there you have it: a victory for the biggest bunch of liars I have ever come across in my entire life. I asked them for the PPI to be cancelled and to send out a revised instalment amount. They wrote back saying the PPI had been removed and the direct debit amended accordingly. Guess what? The next installment was taken and they took the PPI payment as well! I am convinced this is p***-taking on their part, as was the funny little trick they pulled with a letter asking to confirm the cancellation of protection on another account - our mortgage account - which just happens to be a very similar account number to the tied loan. At no time did we request this so you have to ask yourself why that letter was sent.

They are a vile organisation and I would never trust any of them again, from bottom to top.

I would like to thank all who helped me on this topic as I don't think I'll be around for much longer as am emigrating. Good luck to you all.

Edited by FlyboyAgain