Query: Failure to Pay Overdrafts - Will it result in a Ballif visit?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5433 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Apologies if this is in the wrong place.

A flatmate of mine has amassed a large number of overdrafts (maxed out and unpaid) and recently registered to vote. This gave the banks that he owed money to an address and recently has been receiving letters asking for payment of these overdrafts from years ago. Some have been passed over to debt collection agencies whilst others are threatening court action.

My real query is: Will ballifs come around or do they need to actually get my flatmate into court first?

I'm rather concerned as I'm not very fond of ballifs and I think that the longer he ignores these threats the chance of them visiting increases. Some of the debts he owes are over a grand, some are considerably less. Sorry if I appear nieve, I'd had a read about but a lot of the information is about either council tax payments and not bank debts specifically.

Thanks for your time.

Well, the debts are several years old, he has just received a fresh batch of letters about a month or so ago. There was a recent letter from one stating that they were looking to go to court if things weren't sorted out by the 11th of this month. He has made no attempt to contact or repay said debt.

It is never a good idea to ignore these "people" I would suggest sending "prove it" letters to each of the creditors, once it is established who does and doesn't have a right to collect then we can begin to sort out the how much of the outstanding amounts are made up of charges.

Don't worry too much about the threats they make, that's all they are - empty threats, only a court can dictate how much you should pay, neither bank nor DCA has a right to dictate how much you can afford.

Bailiffs are a long way from being able to allowed to attend your property just yet