DVLA is selling drivers' details to rogue wheel-clamping companies

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5450 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The DVLA is selling drivers’ names and addresses to clamping companies that break industry rules by charging drivers more than £500 for minor parking breaches, an investigation by The Times has established.

The agency made more than £4 million last year by selling the details of 1.6 million drivers. It sold 900 names and addresses to Newline Securities and Parking Control Management, both of which have repeatedly double-charged drivers for parking breaches and inflated bills by adding spurious charges.

Newline left a family stranded overnight after seizing a car and refusing to allow the owner to retrieve his house keys. PCM charged an elderly couple £375 after they parked for 30 minutes outside a boarded-up office.

The agency has continued to sell drivers’ details to the companies despite being aware of their behaviour. This contradicts the agency’s claim that it carefully vets companies seeking access to the vehicle register. The agency also claims that it denies access to companies that have breached the industry code on parking enforcement.

DVLA is selling drivers' details to rogue wheel-clamping companies - Times Online

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

I've seen worse articles, but plenty of the stuff in there made me angry when I read it on Sunday. Too wishy washy and not exactly a hard hitting article.

I've seen worse articles, but plenty of the stuff in there made me angry when I read it on Sunday. Too wishy washy and not exactly a hard hitting article.

You hit the nail on the head.

They are not really interested in detailed reporting just a few of the more sensational cases and a load of bollocks.

It's a bit like the BBC Watchdog's programs coverage of similiar issues. They don't really go into the dubious legality.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This does not constitute legal advice and is not represented as a substitute for legal advice from an appropriately qualified person or firm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quick comment

people who receive this info from dvla

dont they have to have a data protection licence and be registered

curiouse

No such thing as a data protection licence - only a registration.

Yes they do have to be registered and the registration must cover the uses to which the data is put.