Virgin Media Moving House

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5447 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've been with Virgin Media for about 6-8 yrs (from the NTL/Telewest days)

In Feb this year I upgraded my cable broadband and was told I'd be signing up to a 12 mnth contract. As I was in the process of moving I asked what happened if I moved and was told I could take it with me.

I moved in Apr and when I tried to take it with me I was told I couldnt as they didnt offer cable in my new home and would have to disconnect. Therefore I did and 2 months later I get a bill for 120 quid for an early disconnection fee.

Despite much wrangling with Virgin they still state I've broken the T&Cs by moving. This is despite the 1st agent telling me I could take the service and the 2nd agent not telling me I'd be charged for disconnecting or they offered an alternative service. (I was keeping the house on anyway so if I'd have know I would be charged I wouldnt have disconnected)

Virgin are adamant I've broken the T&Cs and wont waive the fee. They have apologised for the agents not doing their job properly yet still insist I am liable for the charge.

I'm happy to contest this all the way as I don't see why I should be penalised for their mis-information, but any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Stevie M

Did you check online whether or not your new property could receive cable?

I'm a little perplexed as to why you would upgrade your package so close to moving

Personally i dont see why they cant give you your service back if they've only just cut it off

• 2 weeks later...

Stevie

My only advice to you is if you are prepared to go all the way then you can expect to be defaulted by them.

Several years ago I did a similar thing, I had cable connected only to move home within two months (having asked if I could take the system to my new address). When I got to the new address I was told that they didnt supply cable to that road. I refused to pay as they wanted the full amount for the remaining 10 months. I then received a letter after several months saying they would take me to court, so I paid up at that point.

It wasnt until a couple of years later I discovered they had defaulted me.

Just wondering if it worth trying to get telephone records to back you up?

Have they admitted that the people you spoke to gave the wrong info, surely that gives you grounds to fight this...

My advice is write to the CEO in short, precise terms. Spell out what happened, do not ramble, his e-mail is on here somewhere.

Even if he doesn't deal with it at least it will go to someone who has some discretion.

The views I express here are mere speculation based on my experience. I am not qualified nor insured to give legal advice and any action you take will be at your own risk.

Hi there,

Just wondering, if your prepared to keep the service but they can't provide it surely that is their fault and therefore they have to accept that the terms of the contract have been broken...as in they can't provide the service! I don't understand how they can possibly get away with peinalsing you for a service you would be happy to keep, but that they can't provide!

Just wondering, if your prepared to keep the service but they can't provide it surely that is their fault and therefore they have to accept that the terms of the contract have been broken...as in they can't provide the service!

If there is no cable, they settle for off-net access and broadband. They did this with friends of mine. It is happing more often as no infrastructure build extension have been boasted about for years.

But like the mobile networks, they don;t guarantee 100% coverage, and if you move and there's no coverage, that's no excuse to get out of a mobile contract either.

We had this a few years back with them, we moved and they put us onto ADSL, which we cancelled as soon as we could. Even then they continued to charge us claiming they were still supplying a service, then they tried blaming Sky.

The worst part we had with them is that our house doesn't have an aerial just cable from a shared mast so we plugged in and started watching, one day we had a guy come round who told my wife that the service was provided by NTL and we had to pay to use it and that she must sign the contract there and then or he would cut us off, now my wife isn't a native English speaker so she asked him to come back later when I was in, he refused and forced her to sign the contract there and then.

Naturally when I got home I was livid plus a bit more, and NTL realising this guy had put them into a very dangerous position legally backed down instantly and gave us free tv, haven't heard from them since. Never use the cable now anyway as the quality is dire (still analogue).