• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Just starting our - CCA requests help etc

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4829 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi just joined today, and would like some advice about CCA requests.

I'm completely new to this, and very overwhelmed! Please can someone point me in the right direction. I've been browsing quite a few threads but not sure where exactly to start.

Is there a thread that will show me what to do from day 1?

What is the very first thing to do, is it sending a letter requesting the CCA, and do I stop sending them any payments, or do I send them £1 every month instead? What exactly does the letter look like?

As you can see, I'm pretty confused at the moment, and any advice will be appreciated.

I will start a thread for each of the cards I will be taking on (there are about half a dozen), so hopefully my experiences can help others.

Thanks in advance.

BF

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi BF and welcome to cag.

You request a cc to ensure all the paper work is on order. You send £1 po with this and send recorded delivery. Do not sign it just print your name.

If the company fail to supply a enforceable cca or none at all then you are within your rights to withold any payment until they do so.

the letter you need to send is:

Please ammend paragragh 1 to suit. ie s77 Fixed sum credit such as loans, s78 Running account credit such as credit cards & catalogues and s79 Hire agreements.

Your Address

Date

Dear Sir/Madam

Re:− Account/Reference Number 4563210025897412

This letter is a formal request pursuant to s.77(1) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. I require you to provide me with a true copy of the credit agreement relating to the above account, together with any other documentation the Act requires you to provide.

I expect you to comply fully and properly with this request, within the statutory time limit. You are reminded that should you fail to comply with my request, the provisions of s.77(6) will apply.

(DELETE THIS BELOW IF YOU ARE SENDING THE LETTER TO THE ORIGNAL CREDITOR AS OPPOSED TO A DEBT COLLECTION AGENCY)

If it is your view that you are not the creditor, s.175 of the CCA 1974 applies in the case of a simple assignment, and places a duty upon you to pass this request to the creditor. In the case of an absolute assignment, you are a creditor as defined by s.189. If you contend that you purchased the rights but not the duties of any agreement, you are reminded that s.189 of the Act is clear that an assignment is of both rights and duties.

Your attention is drawn to ss.5(2), 3(b),6 and 7 of the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 (CPUTR).

I enclose a postal order in the sum of £1.00, which is the statutory fee. Note that these funds are not to be used for any other purpose.

If you are unable to comply fully and properly with this request, you should confirm this in writing at the earliest opportunity, and certainly within the statutory time limit for compliance, and return the fee.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully

ida x

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

Guest wino

Hi BF

On the start page is a section called WELCOME TO THE CONSUMER FORUMS click on that

There are sticky posts there that explain how to use the site. If you get stuck just shout and someone will point you in the right direction.:)

Thanks Ida and Wino, that gives me a start. That letter will be in the post tomorrow :)

One question before I start. When I follow this through, what is the worst that can happen at the bitter end? If they take me to court, and the judge rules in their favour, what happens? Would I have the chance to take out a payment plan such as a DMP? Would I have CCJs? Could I be made bankrupt?

All my debts are unsecured credit cards. I have a mortgage, but no problems paying this. (mortgage is in joint names with wife)

Tks again.

Is there a thread on here (cant find anything) that show the addresses of the credit card companies to send the request CCA letter to, or do we send them to the postal addresses shown on the back of the credit card bills, eg.,

Capital One Bank, PO box 1000,Camberley, GU15 32Q.

I have others to send such as: Barclaycard and MBNA.

Thanks in advance

BF

I would advise that any official request for documents (Consumer Credit Agreement, Subject Access Request, etc.) are sent to the Registered Office of the creditor.

This can normally be found on the creditors documentation.

The reason I advise this as I read of a member lost a court case against Barclays due to sending documentation to an incorrect address.

• 4 weeks later...

Good Afternoon!

About 4 weeks ago, I sent the standard CCA request letter from this forum to Barclaycard (more than one card), MBNA (more than one card), and Capital One.

So far I've received nothing from MBNA or Capital One and only Terms and Conditions from the Barclaycard cards, except for one Barclaycard which was a Goldfish card, where I havent received anything.

Is it likely that none of them have the CCA, or are they just being obtuse, and what should my next step be now?

Also, should I start seperate threads for each and every card, ready for the upcoming battle?

Many thanks

Basil

if they have had 12+2

send template 20

click on blue DCA link

account indispute

good luck,you would be best to start a sep thread for each

crap one are not very good on retaining cca

really depends on age of debt.

SAM:pLOWELL DETESTER

• 3 months later...

As we all probably have heard in the news, there is likely to be strike action by the Royal Mail, in the lead up to Christmas.

Does anyone know of a reliable private postal service we can use that provides a registered and special delivery service, to use in place of RM?

Also, how would we stand legally if the CC companies and DCA's carry on using the Royal Mail, and we dont receive their letters. What would happen if we didnt receive default notices, and worst of all court papers? Could we have a CCJ against us without even having the chance to defend?

Thanks

BF

The Likes Of City Link

Dhl

Still Pay ThrOUGH The Nose Though

Its Ok People Saying They Will Go To Another Carrier To Deliever The Mail

Royal Mail Deliever The Likes Of Tnt, Uk Mail, Etc Etc

Even If There Was No Strike

Royal Mail Neither Has The Staff Or Vehicles.

Last Year Royal Mail Had About 180 Thousend Staff, Every Christmas Thousends Of Casuals Help Out (thieving Sods)

This Year Royal Mail Has About 130 Thousend Staff,

Thats 50 Thousend Less

Do The Maths

• 3 weeks later...

Can someone please clear this question up for me, as I've seen and heard differing views.

Is it possible for a company to order a sale from a charging order, if the debt is in only one persons name, but the house is jointly owned?

I have just googled it and come up with this explanation, but have also heard that it can be done.

Can the creditor sell my home?

It is very rare for the court to allow a creditor who has a charging order absolute to sell your home. Most creditors are prepared to wait for you to sell your home at some point in the future and to be paid out of the proceeds of the sale. If a creditor is not prepared to wait then they can apply to the court for a hearing. It is up to the court to decide whether to make an order for sale.

The court will take into account the factors outlined in the section How can I stop a charging order and in particular:

• Whether a sale would raise enough money to pay off the charge as well as your mortgage
  • Whether the court can legally order a sale. This is only possible if the debt is in your sole name and you are the sole owner of your house, or the debt is in joint names with the person who is the joint owner of your house.

If you own your home in joint names but the debt is in your name only the creditor cannot apply for an order for sale. Very rarely the creditor may use other procedures to try to force a sale. You can still make an offer of payment at the this stage and ask the court not to order a sale as long as you keep up with the payments. You can ask the court to adjourn the order for sale proceedings or suspend the order.

UNQUOTE

Charging orders in the County Court

It mentions that other procedures can be used to force a sale but very rarely. Does anyone know what these might be?

BF

If you own your home in joint names but the debt is in your name only the creditor cannot apply for an order for sale
That sentence says it all really.

It mentions that other procedures can be used to force a sale but very rarely. Does anyone know what these might be?
Bankruptcy

Thanks cerberusalert, so that is official then.

Would bankruptcy over credit card debts happen very often?

One final question, would it be a good idea for someone with debts in their name, to sign the ownership of a house completely over to their partner, before any court proceedings have happened, and would this stop any risk of repossession?

Tks

BF

Thanks cerberusalert, so that is official then.

Would bankruptcy over credit card debts happen very often?

One final question, would it be a good idea for someone with debts in their name, to sign the ownership of a house completely over to their partner, before any court proceedings have happened, and would this stop any risk of repossession?

Tks

BF

There are two dangers with this,

a) and I apologise for this but it needs to be stated....is that the relationship breaks down and you find the one partner has no legal standing over the property.

b) there is a period of time where a creditor can apply for the reversal of the ownership back to how it was previous if they can convince a judge that it was just to negate any liability.. I've read both 2 years and 6 years.. I'm not sure if they are both correct depending on the type of enforcement being asked for (bankruptcy/normal court etc) or both wrong.. sorry.

S.

There are two dangers with this,

a) and I apologise for this but it needs to be stated....is that the relationship breaks down and you find the one partner has no legal standing over the property.

b) there is a period of time where a creditor can apply for the reversal of the ownership back to how it was previous if they can convince a judge that it was just to negate any liability.. I've read both 2 years and 6 years.. I'm not sure if they are both correct depending on the type of enforcement being asked for (bankruptcy/normal court etc) or both wrong.. sorry.

S.

Thanks again shadow.

a) I wouldnt be too worried about - over a quarter of a century married and still going strong :D

b) thats the sort of thing I was more worried about.

cheers

BF

Thanks again shadow.

a) I wouldnt be too worried about - over a quarter of a century married and still going strong :D

b) thats the sort of thing I was more worried about.

cheers

BF

I'm trying to find the details now but not having luck :-( Cant even remember what the blinking correct term is [i hate having a rubbish memory]

S.

Now I've just found this from national debtline, which completely contradicts my original post!

The court can order a sale where:

• the debt is in your sole name and you are the sole owner; or
  • the debt is in both names of the joint owners of the house;
  • if the debt is in your sole name and the house is in joint names, the creditor gets an‘interest’ in the house once the charging order is made final. This means the creditor can apply to the court for an order for sale to realise their ‘interest’ in your house. All joint owners (or a married person who is not a joint owner but has an ‘interest’ in the property) should be part of the court proceedings so they can explain their case to the court as well. They should be sent notice of the hearing and be allowed to attend.

UNQUOTE

National Debtline England & Wales | Debt Advice | Factsheet 15 Charging Orders In The County Court

Now I've just found this from national debtline, which completely contradicts my original post!

The court can order a sale where:

• the debt is in your sole name and you are the sole owner; or
  • the debt is in both names of the joint owners of the house;
  • if the debt is in your sole name and the house is in joint names, the creditor gets an‘interest’ in the house once the charging order is made final. This means the creditor can apply to the court for an order for sale to realise their ‘interest’ in your house. All joint owners (or a married person who is not a joint owner but has an ‘interest’ in the property) should be part of the court proceedings so they can explain their case to the court as well. They should be sent notice of the hearing and be allowed to attend.

UNQUOTE

National Debtline England & Wales | Debt Advice | Factsheet 15 Charging Orders In The County Court

Read that thread I posted, it does state a for sale order CAN be granted, but the number that are granted is low according to my MP. The person who has the other % interest in the house can object to the sale order and if there are children its unlikely a sale will be forced. The thread I posted has masses of good info on it.

S.