ACS:Law copyright file sharing claims, Gallant Macmillan - and probably some others along the way...

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4935 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I sent a LOD off to GM nearly 2 1/2 months ago and they have stopped chasing me, no more letters at all..... Anyone else had this outcome?

It took GM nearly 3 months before they rejected my LOD as a template, so I sent a second LOD and have so far not heard anything more. However, I still expect another demand to drop through my letterbox anytime.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It took GM nearly 3 months before they rejected my LOD as a template, so I sent a second LOD and have so far not heard anything more. However, I still expect another demand to drop through my letterbox anytime.

Really a good firm to get back to you after 3 months when they give you 21 days.. The 2nd letter will be exactly the same if they ever do get back. What a crock of shizzer...

In which case you're not really in a position to offer an informed opinion.

This is why you should have read the thread before offering an ill informed opinion.

ACS Law are not pretending to act for anyone. They are actually acting for clients.

True..Many of the contract between clients and ACS can now be viewd thanks to the leak.

Andy

I said my WIFI was hacked and I got a letter back saying thanks for updating your Security but to check to see if others have downloaded the file and they will take no more action.

Who did you get your letter from?

How the blazes are you supposed to know who's hacked into your wifi?

Well..your router may keep logs, this will identify the IP address that it has given out (assuming you are using it for DHCP, most do), although this will only identify a computer name but this may give you a clue, also if you look at the 'Attached Devices' (or similar tab) it will again list the computers currently attached (either hard wired or via wifi).

If you read through the leaked ACS mails you will see that ACS used to drop cases where anyone used the 'wireless defence', whether specifically or by alluding to it.

HOWEVER ACS did later go on to reject any form of 'wireless defence' although it is not clear why they did.

The thinking behind the wirelss defence is that it has been established in law that a person cant be held responsible for the (unathorised) actions of a third party.

Andy

Well..your router may keep logs, this will identify the IP address that it has given out (assuming you are using it for DHCP, most do), although this will only identify a computer name but this may give you a clue, also if you look at the 'Attached Devices' (or similar tab) it will again list the computers currently attached (either hard wired or via wifi).
If the average computer user knew that + how to access it they wouldn't have had an unsecured wifi anyway.

As said previously there is case law which states a person is not responsible for someone hacking into their connection, nor are they liable if they have an insecure wifi unless they knowingly allow them to commit an offence or copyright infringement.

This is a long thread and a few answers needed me thinks

1/ where is this data about p2p etc is being gathered

2/ who has access too this data

3/ who is passing on this data

3/ who is this data being pased to

4/ who is demanding payment and where are they based

are we talking eu member states

This is a long thread and a few answers needed me thinks

1/ where is this data about p2p etc is being gathered

2/ who has access too this data

3/ who is passing on this data

3/ who is this data being pased to

4/ who is demanding payment and where are they based

are we talking eu member states

1. It is gathered by 3rd party 'date harvesting' companies, Logistep, etc. mostly in Germany I believe

2. The date harvesters, the law companies and perhaps the ISP's

3. The data harvesters and ISP's

4. The law compaies and ISP's

5. ACS Law and GM and possibly some others, all based in london, UK..so yes..EU

I sent a LOD off to GM nearly 2 1/2 months ago and they have stopped chasing me, no more letters at all..... Anyone else had this outcome?
Didn’t bother with a LOD, went straight for the FO letter instead. Not heard anything which is quite disappointing as I like a challenge. Harassment claim lodged through ralli solicitors. Don’t think much will come of it though, but as Dale says – you’ve got to be in it to win it.

Got a reply from the information commissioner this morning confirming that on the evidence provided, that ACS LAW breached "the 7th principle"(keeping data safe) and that they have contacted ACS LAW to establish the facts and decide what action should be taken.

We'll see what happens !

A MUST READ

Open Rights Group account of NPO hearing 4th October

http://www.openrightsgroup.org/blog/2010/comment-on-ministry-of-sound-hearing-part-one

http://www.openrightsgroup.org/blog/2010/comment-on-ministry-of-sound-hearing-part-two

ALSO.

This is an excellent document from "Being Threatened" explaining much of what is going on and the errors that can occur..

https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B-FtXNu_158fOTIxOGMxNzMtNGJmNi00YTcwLWJlMmUtMTJhZDg2NGIwNjlk&hl=en_GB&authkey=CL3JpeIE

Sorry if they've been posted before - been busy with leaked Emails

HI YA TERRY :wink:

A MUST READ

Open Rights Group account of NPO hearing 4th October

http://www.openrightsgroup.org/blog/2010/comment-on-ministry-of-sound-hearing-part-one

http://www.openrightsgroup.org/blog/2010/comment-on-ministry-of-sound-hearing-part-two

ALSO.

This is an excellent document from "Being Threatened" explaining much of what is going on and the errors that can occur..

https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B-FtXNu_158fOTIxOGMxNzMtNGJmNi00YTcwLWJlMmUtMTJhZDg2NGIwNjlk&hl=en_GB&authkey=CL3JpeIE

Sorry if they've been posted before - been busy with leaked Emails

HI YA TERRY :wink:

Good ORG stuff, interesting reading, i am really surprised that MOS are still involved, cleraly this isnt going to be the quick n easy cash cow they thought it was and they now lay themsleves open to being charged costs (I see that CMW rejected BT's calim for £52,000 for just a weekends work, but it may well be that in the future MOS are stung with a huge legal bill), I would of thought they'd ditch it all know, it cant be bringing in that much money and they should go back to trying to entice people to buy their shoddy CD's not making money in this dubious way, it can only hurt sales after all.

Andy

Something else that has occured to me is that computers do make mistakes, basically you can type in a 1 and it comes out 2, this is why on high end servers, standard RAM memory isnt used, but intstead EEC or registered RAM that performs extra checks, these 'mistakes' (where binary 0 may become 1 or visa versa) can be caused by fluctuations in electricty and suns radiation, etc

This could be used in an argument why you have been wrongly identified by your ISP, although more likely causes are probably human error, IP spoofing, etc

Andy

Has anybody reading this had a recent letter from ACS or GM? Either a 1st letter or 2nd? If you're reading this but not yet joined the forum, it would be good to hear from you.

I've sent off my 2nd LOD to GM in the last two weeks. They sent me the 1st letter in July which i responded to using the template letter. Their response in September rejected my response as a template and asked me to provide evidence of any foul play as alluded to in the LOD template. They also asked me to name others who use the connection so that they can pursue them instead of me.

My 2nd LOD was short and re-stated my denial.

I fully expect a third letter but have told them I will consider it to be harrassment.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4935 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks