ACS:Law copyright file sharing claims, Gallant Macmillan - and probably some others along the way...

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4949 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

That would work for prying eyes, but if any enforcement agency were to get hold of the disk that wouldn't be enough. "Deleting" files merely marks the space they occupy as free, the data remains and can easily be recovered (unless it is heavily and completely overwritten). It is possible to zero fill the space, but that is not necessarily for novices.

Correct, there are a few utilities out there that will Zero fill the index.dat files securely to DoD level prior to delete.

S.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

if it has not been downloaded offer for an independant deep packet inspection to be paid for by ACS,if and when it comes back as clear sue for defamation i am in the proccess through which to begin a action against DAVENPORTS ,nothing has been downloaded from this computor so i got no worries

on the other hand Davenports have a lot to worry about i just cant wait for a case to be brought against me in fact i have demanded they begin action imediately

patrickq1

if it has not been downloaded offer for an independant deep packet inspection to be paid for by ACS,if and when it comes back as clear sue for defamation i am in the proccess through which to begin a action against DAVENPORTS ,nothing has been downloaded from this computor so i got no worries

on the other hand Davenports have a lot to worry about i just cant wait for a case to be brought against me in fact i have demanded they begin action imediately

patrickq1

Any forensic analysis of the H/D would be pointless, it could easily be replaced after the alleged download event.

patrickq1

Interesting - I certainly think they are just looking to make a quick buck off those who panic and pay up without seeking proper advice.

The problem they will always have is proving the offense. I can quite clearly prove that my PC was not used on a given date. I can do this because, like a lot of people, I have several PC's, laptops, iPhone etc. which all connect using the same external IP. So unless they also capture the MAC address, who's to say which PC needs to be tested? I say it is the one sat in the corner of the box room that hasn't been used for over a year..... And, even if they captured the MAC address whats to stop me spoofing it or changing the NIC?

Also, (no I am not a cybercriminal and I haven't had one of the letters), One of my PC's has 4 different hard drives, each separately bootable with it's own OS and is quite capable of running with any 3 of those removed. In fact, it could run quite happily booting off a Ubuntu live CD with no hard drive, using a USB memory stick as a storage medium.

Any forensic analysis of the H/D would be pointless, it could easily be replaced after the alleged download event.

Exactly! Their case is based on untested, unreliable and unprovable methods. They know this, but they also know that it's easy to scare people into caving in, especially if you bamboozle them with technical jargon....

Of course, the danger if it ever went to court is that they were to turn up with a "expert witness" who claimed it was proof positive and the defendant was not technically clued up or represented... I'm sure not many judges know anything about the concepts.....

The crux of their allegations is that a particular ISP address has been used at a particular time, they have no evidence as to what computer was used, or if indeed that the registered user was actually implicated or if they had an 'open' network or if it had been hacked into (there is enough open software allowing someone to do that). They can't even get the file size right, they've accused some people stating that the file was over 100MBs & others that the size was 40 odd MBs. If they can't get that fact right what chance with any of their evidence? Particularly as similar claims using the technology they are depending on was thrown out of the courts in Italy & Germany as unproven & their forensic experts thought of as quacks. :rolleyes:

if you replaced it the dates would nt match up my hard drive has not been replaced it is the origional...it would be noticable if it had been...so i have absolutely no problems with times and dates ....but it will cost them dearly for a solicitor to act in the manner they did goes against their own ethics i would say so as for reputations this would damage them pretty badly .....

Lol.

My dad got in touch with someone in the law world, but he wasnt too sure. He was like you should either pay or ignore. Not much help really.

I notice Mr Terence Tsang hasn't been mentioned for a while. Still intrigued by him.

Alot of people are either too scared or too brainwashed in this country these days sadly.

We all have a "You must not rock the boat" attitude when it comes to anything like this/or with the world of finance & legal stuff etc..

Well sod that - im 1 of the one's who does rock that boat, always have & always will do :mad:

Alot of people are either too scared or too brainwashed in this country these days sadly.

We all have a "You must not rock the boat" attitude when it comes to anything like this/or with the world of finance & legal stuff etc..

Well sod that - im 1 of the one's who does rock that boat, always have & always will do :evil:

I think that is the basis of this operation.

If you do the sums:

They are reported to have sent 6000 letters, demanding around £500 a throw.

If they have managed to scare only 1 in 10 into paying up, they have raked in £300,000.

I have still not heard of a single court claim being issued.

David

I had a letter 2 weeks ago demanding £500.07 of cource i will not be paying them a single penny.I have sent my first L.O.D today and wait to hear from them.Also I wrote to my local M.P. who in turn has written to Jack Straw and will contact me when she has his response.letter have also gone to tha I.C.O and the S.R.A. Will keep you up to date with any news i get.Trading standerds have also become involved in this matter and tell me they will investigate.

I think that is the basis of this operation.

If you do the sums:

They are reported to have sent 6000 letters, demanding around £500 a throw.

If they have managed to scare only 1 in 10 into paying up, they have raked in £300,000.

I have still not heard of a single court claim being issued.

David

I do hope that any person who has paid up will now ensure that a full refund heads their way asap :mad:

Either ACS are waiting to send out their next batch of threats or they've realized what a horrendous misjudgment they've made in thinking they can take on the public like this....me thinks its the later :wink:

Could be, but as some of the bodies at ACS came over from Davenport Lyons they must of known it would hit the fan. Think they will run it until there is so much publicity that people simply stop paying them.

david

Received one of the ACS letters last night. As a recipient they're threatening and worrying. Especially when my girlfriend read it.

Short of reading the whole thread (which I will tonight when I get home) can anyone summarize actions required ?

What's a LOD that others have sent ?

Much appreciated.

Thanks

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4949 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks