Butlins- a holiday to forget...

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5514 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all.

Last month i went to Butlins with 6 friends for a three day weekend. Sadly, and stupidly, two of the friends trashed their room whilst drunk and caused £3,000 worth of damage!!!!! Needless to say they were sent home the next morning, but the others had no involvement and the friends owned up to committing the damage and butlins accpeted they were the culprits.

After one month being back they are trying to tell the leader booker he is accountable for all the damage and has to pay now!! Now the lead booker is the nicest bloke you could over meet, had no involvement in the damage, was not asked to leave and butlins were happy they had sent home the correct people.

The two people who committed the damage have admitted this to the police, butlins security and management, but they are still only holding the lead booker accountable. I've tried reading the t &c's for butlins and don't think they can do this, but not quite sure.

I also did not damage anything or get send home, but feel so sorry for lead booker who is getting all this stress from no action of his own.

Please see link attached to butlins t&cs.. http://www.butlins.com/pdfs/Booking-terms-and-conditions.pdf

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I want my stupid friends to pay all the money, but not lead booker.

Having read the Terms and Conditions, the section that this comes under is the Group Bookings. 2nd paragraph states

"Butlins is committed to ensuring a safe and secure environment for all

its guests. The lead booker for any Group booking may be required to

agree to and sign a code of conduct on the behalf of the group and to

provide credit card details, as security, in the event of any damage

caused as a condition of entry."

I'm not certain but I think I've seen this before where the person who's name the holiday is booked in is liable in the first instance, and that they then have to claim from those responsible for the damage.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge on these matters will be able to advise you further.

enamae

Please note: I have no qualifications in this area and any advice offered is given in good faith.

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/Ombudsman-news/40/40_setoff.htm

No one in the group was asked to sign a code of conduct or to submit a credit card for damages as a condition of entry.

I need to show that under their t&c's they cannot make our lead booker accountable for illegal actions of others(vandalism). The police accepted they had the two correct people, Butlins let the rest stay as they were totally not involved.

Any help really appreciated....

I asked a law dude this question today, and his response was the same as enamae's.

No help there, but if there is nothing in the T&C's how would they manage to get their money? That's the contract isn't it? unless he has had something else that sets this out.

Can't help, but I hope the lead keeps his cash or is at least able to recover it from the people responsible.

Are Butlins pressing charges?. What a mess they have caused.

Also, should anyone end up paying this 3K, I'd want to know how they arrived at this figure to ensure there is no betterment going on.