Crown Litagation Services - AOL - Advantis Credit

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4261 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Im not having a good day, (see other thread 1st credit)

I have also received today letter from Crown Litigation Service acting for Advantis Credit for an old AOL debt from 07. They state that I owe £700 ??? - £880 after costs... the letter is asking me to pay within 10 days or they will issue proceedings.. If I dispute liability I must contact them in writing, supplying documents in my defence, and they have the right to produce the letter in court.

Is this agreement covered by a CCA

Thanks

NWJxx

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the nature of the AOL debt and is it regulated under the CCA 1974 ?

By the way - your link to your other thread doesn't work but I'm presuming it's this one ?

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/120308-received-statutory-demand-1st.html

Edited by supasnooper
link

AOL? Jeez, that's a lot of on-line time!

Think you need to adapt the 'prove it' letter - it's up to them to prove you owe the debt, not for you to prove you don't. And if you mark your letter 'without prejudice' they have no right to reproduce it in court. They are, basically, telling lies to intimidate you and should be reported to the OFT.

This one courtesy of Curleyben - adapt to suit:

Dear Sir/Madam

You have contacted me/us regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself/ourselves.

I/we would point out that I/we have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to (insert company name).

I am/we are familiar with the Office of Fair Trading Debt Collection Guidance which states that it unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question.

I/we would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable. In not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive/and or unfair methods.

Furthermore ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical/psychological harassment.

I/we would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above account unless you can provide evidence as to my/our liability for the debt in question.

I/we await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise I will have no option but to make a complaint to the trading standards department and consider informing the OFT of your actions.

I/we look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully

Donkeyb

The debt has gone up from £500 this is the first amount they asked for and now its gone up to 700 quid... It was for an internet/phone package.. when my husband lost his job we fell into arrears and they terminated the agreement, still dont know how they came up with the original figure... seemed to just pick it out of the air...also noticed that the debt is under MR with my christian name..

NWJ x

Try the 'prove it' letter and see what response you get. If they don't come up with statements or a list of charges (some of which may well be bogus) as well, then they're going to struggle to get anything from you.

Incidentally, DCAs are not allowed to add their collection costs to your alleged debt, so they're already trying it on!

• Haha 1

Sorry BB, you're right: I meant what they can't do is add their own costs - and most of them try with 'collection fees', 'referral fees', 'admin charges' etc.

I've yet to see any original CCA that has any significant reference to anything other than interest charges. Some DCAs even try to foist their own T&Cs on people (HFO, eg), even though they're bound by the original T&Cs (a) if they have the agreement, and (b) if it's properly assigned.

Gawd, I hate these people...

moorcroft are one of the worst allegedly ;) They more than double the amount often...

Moorcroft added their own £300 admin charge to the egg card i had but since they can't find my agreement and i'm not paying them anything

moorcroft are stuffed :D

Good God!

That is a bit of an iffy name;

Crown Litigation Services...conjures up images of the Crown Prosecution Services...

Crown Litigation Services is a Trading Name of;

Wescot Credit Services;

Wescot have several trading names.

eyes roll

AC

Treat consumers fairly.

If a general/regular consumer was to recieve a communication from;

Crown Litigation Services, they would be under the impression that this must be from a government body authority.

Devious, covert, unfair business practice...

AC