• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Invalid Default Notices

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4978 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Cosalts DN is fatally flawed anyway they have stated that 14 days are from the date shown not the "date of service" both are still wrong though.

Link to DN

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/show-post/post-2809246.html

I believe they actually terminated on the 19th which should have been the remedy date if they had done things correctly.

Pumpytums

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm not sure if this has been addressed yet,but if you have submitted a CCA request,the OC defaults on that request.....and in the meantime they send you a default notice for not paying anything(which you are perfectly entitled not to do until a valid agreement is produced) and then terminate the account,are they guilty of unlawful recision?

also,if the account was intitially defaulted some years ago,the issue of a second default notice could be seen as being invalid in and of itself,since the rule says only 1 default per account?

'...which you are perfectly entitled not to do until a valid agreement is produced...'

Just to avoid confusing people, that sentence isn't true. The CCA does not give a debtor the right to stop paying a creditor whilst an account is in dispute or in default of a s78 request. In those circumstances if the DN and TN were compliant they would be within their rights to and it would not be an unlawful repudiation.

Not sure about the 2nd paragraph. Pretty sure a creditor can re-issue a DN provided they haven't terminated or asked for full repayment (and you've accepted the termination).

Brooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooce's success's so far:

Capital One - 15% f & f saving £4,250

Barclaycard - 25% f & f saving £12,000

Blackhorse - reduced loan settlement saving £1,605

Cahoot - 15% f & f saving £2,740

MBNA - 20% f & f saving £26,800

Lloyds TSB 28% f & f saving £7,377

Total written off to date: £54,772!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They can only issue one default notice, unless the original DN was satisfied or partially satisfied. If not then they can only update the original.

What if they originally issue a defective DN, with, for example, insufficient time to rectify. How do they then make that compliant?

Brooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooce's success's so far:

Capital One - 15% f & f saving £4,250

Barclaycard - 25% f & f saving £12,000

Blackhorse - reduced loan settlement saving £1,605

Cahoot - 15% f & f saving £2,740

MBNA - 20% f & f saving £26,800

Lloyds TSB 28% f & f saving £7,377

Total written off to date: £54,772!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Further to my previous post, here is the DN again minus some details which I had missed!

I realise it is invalid, but may be useful on here for reference.

Well that one could never be complient Dotty. Dated 22nd April, earliest possible service date is the 26th if sent first class, therefore earliest rectification date is 10th May.

How was it posted?

I have received a DN from my lender this morning. It is dated the 28 April 2010, the envelope that it arrived in is dated the 29th April 2010 and I received it on the 30 April 2010.

Any advice please on what I should do would be appreciated please.

Edited by frettful38

I have received a DN from my lender this morning. It is dated the 28 April 2010, the envelope that it arrived in is dated the 29th April 2010 and I received it on the 30 April 2010.

http://i450.photobucket.com/albums/qq223/sophiak_bucket/BlemainDefaultNotice.jpg

Sweet. It's invalid. Within 15 business days? What's all that about?

Keep it safe and wait for them to demand the full balance, either with an actual termination of agreement letter or by inference, eg a DCA sends you a snooty letter demanding all of the money 'or else'.

It's not even in the prescribed format and although it clearly relates to a mortgage as opposed to section 87 type credit card stuff they still need to give you the right amount of time, clearly specified, to provide remedy.

Your lucky day Frettful :p

Well that one could never be complient Dotty. Dated 22nd April, earliest possible service date is the 26th if sent first class, therefore earliest rectification date is 10th May.

How was it posted?

Hi Vint,

It was Royal Mail 2nd class, but I didn't receive it until yesterday!

http://i450.photobucket.com/albums/qq223/sophiak_bucket/BlemainDefaultNotice.jpg

On or after the date shown above----what date is that then?

Just nearly fell off my chair reading what you wrote emandcole :D, BUT I am in a state of panic at the mo. My loan is an unregulated agreement taken out in Sept 07 and over £25k.

I received a letter this morning from my no win no fee solicitors saying that will no longer be acting for me because they do not believe that I have a good case. In fact it is quite the opposite. I have a very strong case under the unfair relationship test and a secret commission, but I guess they ain't got the balls to fight but I have.

I will keep it safe as I have received one DN in my name and exactly the same one in my OH's name.

The thing that worries me is as my loan agreement is unregulated do the same rules for DN'S apply also?

Lso the DN is supposed to be a stand alone document not an attachment. The DN is not dated.

Sit tight and wait for the termination notice or the demand for full ballance.

Vint,

Are you referring to my DN in this post?

Just nearly fell off my chair reading what you wrote emandcole :D, BUT I am in a state of panic at the mo. My loan is an unregulated agreement taken out in Sept 07 and over £25k.

I received a letter this morning from my no win no fee solicitors saying that will no longer be acting for me because they do not believe that I have a good case. In fact it is quite the opposite. I have a very strong case under the unfair relationship test and a secret commission, but I guess they ain't got the balls to fight but I have.

I will keep it safe as I have received one DN in my name and exactly the same one in my OH's name.

The thing that worries me is as my loan agreement is unregulated do the same rules for DN'S apply also?

I believe so, if they didn't need to give you any time to remedy they wouldn't have botherd with '15 days' and all that.

It makes sense that if they issue a default notice such a notice must give you time to pay them the sum they're moaning about. If they didn't need to do that the entire process would be pointless wouldn't it?!

Where does it say it's unregulated too? Have to check dates but thought the 25k cap was removed as previosuly 25k and over moved automatically into unregulated territory. Perhaps Vint is better with the dates etc and can offer better insight. Hope it works out for you anyway :D

I'm not sure if this has been addressed yet,but if you have submitted a CCA request,the OC defaults on that request.....and in the meantime they send you a default notice for not paying anything(which you are perfectly entitled not to do until a valid agreement is produced) and then terminate the account,are they guilty of unlawful recision?

also,if the account was intitially defaulted some years ago,the issue of a second default notice could be seen as being invalid in and of itself,since the rule says only 1 default per account?

.... which is one of those good reasons to ensure you check CRA records. In theory they cannot do sneaky things but it does happen. Oh, what happened to the belief many years ago that banks were to be respected and held high levels of integrity??

Michael

When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is. (Oscar Wilde)

--I like to be helpful wherever possible however I'm not qualified in this field. I do consider carefully anything important (normally from personal experience) however please understand that any actions taken are at your own risk--

Hi middenmess, it states 15 business days of this letter, letter is dated the 28 April 2010

As far as I'm aware it has to specify an exact date -14th May for example--so that you are in no doubt as to when the breech has to be rectified by,Stating a number of days is not compliant under the CCA.

I believe so, if they didn't need to give you any time to remedy they wouldn't have botherd with '15 days' and all that.

It makes sense that if they issue a default notice such a notice must give you time to pay them the sum they're moaning about. If they didn't need to do that the entire process would be pointless wouldn't it?!

Where does it say it's unregulated too? Have to check dates but thought the 25k cap was removed as previosuly 25k and over moved automatically into unregulated territory. Perhaps Vint is better with the dates etc and can offer better insight. Hope it works out for you anyway :D

I agree with you emandcole and will wait for vint to see if he can add anything. It does not state unregulated on my loan agreement but I know that my loan is unregulated as it was taken out before they lifted the limit.

I would just love to be 100% sure about the validity of this DN before doing anything, and I don't know if my lender would instruct a DCA or just apply directly themselves to court for repossession. Will wait to see what others advise.

Thanks for your help.

As far as I'm aware it has to specify an exact date -14th May for example--so that you are in no doubt as to when the breech has to be rectified by,Stating a number of days is not compliant under the CCA.

Thanks again middenmess, I am trying to work out what date would 5 business days from the date of the DN be and make it 18th May 2010. As you can see no date is prescribed and it is Bank Holiday on Monday 3rd May 2010. Also letter dated Apr 10 posted 2 Apr 10 received Apr 10. I guess it was sent 1st class as payment postage is 36p.

Maybe the y have covered their backs when they have stated 15 business days, who knows?

Edited by frettful38

Remember that a loan was not automatically unregulated if it went 'in total' over 25k.

Example.

Loan for 22k. Interest 7k. Total 29k = Still regulated...

as its the principle amount that dictates the regulated/unregulated and not the total amount payable (29k in the example above)

Check yout T&C's maybe too?

Sweet. It's invalid. Within 15 business days? What's all that about?

Keep it safe and wait for them to demand the full balance, either with an actual termination of agreement letter or by inference, eg a DCA sends you a snooty letter demanding all of the money 'or else'.

It's not even in the prescribed format and although it clearly relates to a mortgage as opposed to section 87 type credit card stuff they still need to give you the right amount of time, clearly specified, to provide remedy.

Your lucky day Frettful :p

emandcole, this is not a mortgage but secured loan on my property, should have said that first.

Thanks again middenmess, I am trying to work out what date would 15 business days from the date of the DN be and make it 18th May 2010. As you can see no date is prescribed and it is Bank Holiday on Monday 3rd May 2010. Also letter dated 28 Apr 10 posted 29 Apr 10 received 30 Apr 10. I guess it was sent 1st class as payment postage is 36p.

Maybe the y have covered their backs when they have stated 15 business days, who knows?

Remember too that they need to specify a date or it's plain unclear! In addition, if they for example stated 'remedy before the 25th August' that actually only gives you until 23:59:59 on the 24th August, another factor that can invalidate a DN ;)

Edited by emandcole
typo

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4978 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks