style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5497 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi all,

first of all I'm a foreigner trying to understand British law system:(

I stole few items from local tk-maxx, police were called, i was given penalty notice for disorder.

later I received a letter from RLP asking me to pay £137, 50 or £ 110 if I manage to do it within21 days.

from what I understand RLP is sort of illegal company and you try to discourage people from paying.

but I did steal, and don't want to mess more with police or courts.

and one more thing - I was banned from any tk maxx shop - is it really forever? and if i try and go to a shop in a different city, do they exchange that sort of information?how long will tk maxx keep me in their files?

the advice on this board is ussually aimed more at people who didnt mean to steal or did so accidently

we try and discourage people from paying as retail loss prevention will ussually overcharge for the fines and realisticly rarely goes to court

the reason we ussually mention that it may (the may is important) be illegal is that while there trademark registers them as a debt collection buisness they have not got the liscence to work as debt collection

with tk maxx im afraid its upto them if they pass the details on or not im afraid personally i wouldnt shop there anyway but you would need to check with them if its a nationwide ban (unlikely as how would they recognise you) or local (more likely)

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

Wern labrat is correct as you admit you stole there's not much you (or we) can do. In fact the retailer is entitled to recover any losses they incurred because of your dishonesty.

Also I'm a little puzzled about your remark "understanding British Law" what's to understand stealing is stealing in any language & no matter where you might be in the world leaving a shop without intending to pay is theft

Wern labrat is correct as you admit you stole there's not much you (or we) can do. In fact the retailer is entitled to recover any losses they incurred because of your dishonesty.

Also I'm a little puzzled about your remark "understanding British Law" what's to understand stealing is stealing in any language & no matter where you might be in the world leaving a shop without intending to pay is theft

JonCris, I think perhaps the OP was referring to the civil recovery demand for money, despite already being fined £80 by being given a PND by police. It must seem like they are being punished twice for the same crime, and this may not happen in their country of origin.