• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Price of copy statements

Guest NATTIE
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6446 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Guest NATTIE

You all know how to start the process. Get the statements and work out how much money you are owed and off you go. But how much does it cost?

The main way is DPA which gets you statements, manual intervention, microfiche, and ALL computer notes on your account. I trawled a few sights to find out how much you would be charged JUST for copy statements.

Please feel free to add to this list as it does not cover all banks or for that matter Credit Cards(more research i think).

It's not always clear whether it covers a full 6 years(with request, yes but with statement, not sure) Hope someone can clarify it.

Alliance and Leicester £5 per copy statement

Barclays £5 per request

HSBC £1 per statement

HBOS £5 per request

NatWest £5 per request

Royal Bank Of Scotland £5 per request

Woolwich £5 per statement

When i requested the past 6 years bank statments from HSBC, they did quote me £1 per statement. Ia sked for clarification and was told this would be £1 per copy statement so £12 per year. However the past 12 months would be free. I went down the data protection act for £10 which they didn't actually charge me and got them all.

HSBC - £460 - first action letter sent

Barclays - £730 - first action letter sent

Virgin credit card - no action yet

Natwest - no action yet

Lloyds - no action yet

Or my experience with Nat West.

£5 for copy statements taken twice

£10 SAR payment taken once

£15 refunded once

£20 taken for copy statements (same day as refund!)

No wonder I'm moving bank anyway!!!

Guest NATTIE

I was hoping that we were going to discuss what other banks charges for copy statements for CC as well.

Batfink- clearly a number of errors have been made in relation to yourself and only one charge £10 for SAR should have been taken but it didn't happen. £10 is still owed. If you sent a cheque it shouldn't have been debited twice

ulster bank-£8 per sheet

s.a.r handed to manager-2-8-06

aknowledgement letter recieved 4-8-06

letter from dpm 10-8-06

Data Protection Act - Non-Compliance 10 days left 29-8-06

statements recieved 31/8/06

prelim letter 1/9/06

letter recieved from cru 9/9/06

lba-sent 15-9-06

small claims started 17-9-06

agreed to settle

with condition removed that i cant make another claim

waiting for funds

part 2

small claims for £893 filed 14/10/06

Do you think perhaps someone should point out to them that someone asking for a copy statement is effectively asserting their rights under DPA? :o

HSBCLloyds TSBcontractual interestNew Tax Creditscoming for you?NTL/Virgin Media

Never give in ... Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. Churchill, 1941

Guest NATTIE

meagain-someone asking for copy statements is not necessarily requesting a SAR, simply due to numerous reasons, ie non receipt of one, requiring additional copies. I think a some people are confusing SAR with just copy statements

meagain-someone asking for copy statements is not necessarily requesting a SAR, simply due to numerous reasons, ie non receipt of one, requiring additional copies. I think a some people are confusing SAR with just copy statements

The trick here is to stop thinking of SARs are some special communication requiring some special action. S7 doesn't lay down any prescribed form, only that the request be in writing. It doesn't even require you to mention the Act (in a way, if the bank wants to charge you for them and you then have to invoke the Act, something is very wrong) If you look at it in another way, which I think was probably the way in which it was intended to be read, put simply, if you ask for personal information, you've an absolute right to it (subject to the maximum charge). So, if you ask for a bunch of copy statements, the maximum charge should be £10. After all, the only real difference between writing to ask for a copy statement and making a SAR is the inclusion of three little words, so why should there be a cost difference because someone specifically does or doesn't mention the Act?

See where this is going? :)

HSBCLloyds TSBcontractual interestNew Tax Creditscoming for you?NTL/Virgin Media

Never give in ... Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. Churchill, 1941

Guest NATTIE

I know what you mean but asking for personal info re: notes on account etc,etc, is more than just copy statements. Copy statements with NW are £5 per request. that means 6 years worth of statements for £5, however with SAR there is details of manual intervention that is not on statements. That means £10

yes i telephoned natwest and they agreed to send me copies of all of my statements for past 4 years for a £5 fee. Which they put on my account. incredible as im £800 over my £1600 overdraft which by the way is all charges from last 6 months so god knows what 4 years will bring. Egg wanted £10 a statement rbs said £3 but phoned up later and got for free. makes you wonder if they are slowly catching on

Just to be litigious again, if there was no SAR available for £10, then I would be challenging the banks' price for copy statements on the basis of s.8 Sale of Goods Act - and I rate my chances very highly.

I would say that about 10 pence per sheet is more than reasonable - delivered.

Guest NATTIE

BF just to be devils advocate- what about postage? And Post Office are now charging for weight of postage

RM have always charged by weight - I think you mean they are soon to be charging by size as well as weight.

I suspect a large organisation like Natwest could send 6-10 A5 pages in a C5 envelope for around 14p. Maybe even less as if I recall correctly, Natwest actually use TNT or some other carrier instead of RM for their postage.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

wouldn't this be an argument under the microfiche problem...ie they're easy enough to produce if your willing to pay for them but if you DPA us we can't manage it because it's too much work

Abbey £4340.59 *WON* Jan 07

Abbey II MCOL 31/03/07 £8800.00

Please note..I AM NOT AN EXPERT ANYTHING WHAT I POST IS PURELY MY OPINION AND MAY BE WRONG IT IS JUST BASED ON MY UNDERSTANDING OR EXPERIENCE

Read my latest claim its a fast track potentially

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/abbey-bank/61406-noobrider-abbey-take-2-a.html?highlight=noobrider

read my first claim which includes attending a directions hearing in court

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/abbey-bank/10576-noobrider-abbey.html?highlight=noobrider

:| but isnt the whole point that if they didnt charge so much in the first place we wouldnt be requesting them now???????.... does anyone actually know how much it costs the banks?...(any abbey employees out there ?)

1st letter to Abbey requesting statements 10/08/06

Reply from Abbey..Sorry on Microfiche..cant do 18/08/06

2nd letter to Abbey Microfiche argument letter R/D 23/08/06

Received 16 Statements from Abbey 23/0806

Reply from Abbey.. enclosed complaints leaflet 2/08/06

Phone call from abbey Re my account 20.55hrs 5/09/06

Letter to MBNA requesting statements 6/9/06

Sent off Data Protection Act letter to MBNA 2/10/06

Sent off Non Compliance letter to P Speed 3/10/06

Cover letter & 5yrs statements received 9/10/06

Received letter from MBNA saying they had reduced limit 9/10/06

The argument is about whether the data is in a relvant filing system.

Supposing we agreed a bank didnt have a relevant filing system then they could charge you for providing that data, pretty much what they like not withstanding sections of other legislation and I bow to BFs knowledge here.

However, if they have data on a relevant filing system, as defined within the Data Protection Act, it doesnt matter what that data is they have to supply it, when asked by the subject.

they can currently chagre a max of 10 quid for the lot as far as i can tell. However, it seems to me that if you offer to pay and they refuse payment this does not prevent the S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) being valid. They can charge a maximum fee it doenst say they have to charge a minmum fee i think.

These prices (those posted above) are interesting when contrasted against the penalties levied by the various organisations we are sueing.

Seems to me that if it costs 20 quid or more to bounce a dd and send out a letter automatically, then the cost of finding data on a system that isnt relevant, should be a lot higher than the few quid being charged.

After all, according to the banks its really difficult and time consuming to search all those boxes of fiche!!

Do you think a judge would be interested in this point if raised?

As an afterthought if the banks/cc companies are writing to us with this info, is it worth collaitng the actual data theyre circulating for people to use in evidence as a indication of the bank costs?

GLenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Sorry for my ignorance - A first timer to be exact. Still not quite there with the SAR and bank statement charges. I am understanding that if a request is made for previous 6 years copy statement then we are looking at paying approx £10 per statement = £120 per year = £720.00 to pay upfront. If this is correct, am I correct in assuming that these statement charges can be claimed back as they were only requested due to the banks overcharging in the first place.

Also at what point would a SAR be required.

Thank you

I am trying to get an idea of what upfront monies are required.

So asking any bank for the last 6 yrs statements will be a one off charge of £10.00 if requested through a SAR. (NOT £720.00 FOR THE LAST SIX YRS STATEMENTS???)

Am I still not on the correct wave.

Guest NATTIE

definitely not £720.00. Most banks have a tariff for copy statements, For example, NW is £5 per request, although some staff seem to interpret it slightly differently, from my viewing of the threads

You only have to pay £10 for all your statements under the SAR. Use the template in the letters section. Send a cheque or postal order. They will most prob not cash it. If they do you claim it back at the end when you are filing your court case. No way would I pay £720 for 6 years bank statments!!

Bank charges: Abbey won in 2006, Halifax won in 2006, Capital One won in 2006.

Somedays I read the title of a thread somedays I just post on random things not associated with the thread because it is helpful to no one seeking information, somedays I am too sarcastic, somedays I wrack my brains when I see some information I am sure has been incorrect, somedays I drift off thread in a stream of consciousness that just won't leave my head and somedays I censor myself because i am on your side and do not want to vent my anger as I read things of gigantic proportions as my wall cowers again as I contemplate banging my head against it and sometimes I use the word sometimes too much and need to stop writing when I can read threads or stay in the chat room rather than simply click the post quick reply and realise that my words in full will be seen by others and no matter what i have said will be interpreted in a million different ways. I may not agree with your point of view but I will fight tooth and nail for you put that opinion accross. my madness sudsides and darkness engulfs me and all is silent and I am calm.