Debt collectors and Credit Records

Tolan
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5537 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

In 2005 I took an unsecured Barclaycard loan for £6000. I was 18 and employed at the time. However, mid way through 2006 I left to continue my education in another country. Being young, I let the loan default. The loan was passed on to a debt collection agency which continued to pester my home telephone, and my mother continuously told them that I no longer live there and she doesn't know where I am. They stopped and we haven't heard from them since.

I returned to the UK and now am going to be moving home. I will contact my bank (Nationwide) informing them of my new address. Is it possible that the debt collectors can see this change? If so, would my bank accept a PO Box as an address.

However, next month I will begin my new job, it is a 6 month contract that requires me to be self employed. I will have to set up a business account aswell. Since I am moving to a new place and have limited funds, I was planning on applying for a credit card (Aqua Card) to be able to buy things like basic furniture and the first months expenses. Would any of these actions trigger the debt collection agency to be able to find me?

Many thanks.

Edited by Tolan
added details

It is not the policy of CAG to give advice on debt avoidance. It might be a good idea to get to grips with the debt you have before taking on more. You say you will have a 6 month contract and want a credit card and business account - racking up more debt you won't be able to pay in future. And what then? Move on again? Seems to me you are heading for a heap of trouble and maybe you should take stock of getting into debt before you end up paying for it for years to come.

I thought that about the card, however in the time that has passed I have kept my finances very well. The business account is to keep my finances separate for tax purposes. I feel I should pay off my debt, however I do not want the collection companies to start hounding me as it can be very stressful. Note, I use the term business account loosely as I have not fully reaserched this subject yet, however I will be classed as unemployed and will have to keep a separate bank account for my income/outgoings relating to that contract.

Edited by Tolan
added details

Tolan, when you say you will be working on a self-employed contract but will be classed as unemployed, what do you mean?

Sorry for any misunderstanding, I mean self employed.

I have trained as a Pilot, I will be self employed and contracted by a company to work for another company, but be restricted to only work for the specified company for the duration of the contract. It is pretty much the same as how Ryanair employ all their Pilots through a (Ryanair owned) agency called Brookfield. You are self employed, but contracted to work for Ryanair, and Ryanair alone.

a pilot cool, my dad used to fly L110s, think he earned arount 60K when 60k was worth something

Nice, not too sure what an L110 is, or do you mean L1011? If so, nice plane! I'm A320 rated, but don't come close to earning that much these days at the beginning of my career, T&C's have gone downhill alot, and with the credit crunch, jobs are seriously hard to come by. However, I can't think of anything else I'd rather be doing!

Would any of these actions trigger the debt collection agency to be able to find me?

Many thanks.

Anthing you do relating to credit or credit checks (applying for credit or opening a bank account) will be reported to the CRA's who share this info with all DCA's. Therefore if you apply for credit in any form they will find you. The CRA's have tracing products that are used by DCA's daily

sorry yea L1011, yea he'd been flying for years, started Sea Fury's in the Fleet Air arm, went through Dacs, Britanias, tridents and fished with the tristar, very glam job in early days, mum used to be on Dacs too, ehes been on Onasis' yaght or was it the crowen prince of manaco, not sure but was glam then

Thanks for the clarification on the employment front, Tolan.

Version's right; as soon as you do anything that involves disclosing your personal data, the DCAs will be on to you. You may be able to negotiate a full & final settlement, or some sort of instalment plan when they do contact you.

...and I'd go back to flying tomorrow, if I could. This used to be my 'office':

EE78731F_1143_EC82_2E7B79A3DBE6242F.jpg

RAF C-130 - the only way to fly!

Thanks for all the input guys. I will move forward with this and keep the thread updated as to what happens. However, any other tips and information you may have would be great!

ScarletPimpernel, you must have had some amazing experiences!