Car Hire Charges

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5535 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Sorry, I can find nowhere else to post this question.

I recently picked up a car from one airport and dropped it off at another. I had previously booked and paid for the car over the web. It gave a price for the booking at around £80. This is the exact wording although some details like dates are different:

Car Selected: Mini - Chevrolet Matiz or similar

Capacity: 2 Doors, 2 adults, 2 children,

1 large and 0 small luggage

Details: Manual, Petrol/gasoline

Car Status: On Request (more info)

Your Pickup Station: Liverpool Airport (PLS)

Your Dropoff Station: East Midlands Airport (PLS)

Price: £79.99

However, when I arrived at the airport to pick the car up I had to pay an extra £45 for the privilege of dropping it off at a different airport.

Only in some wording after the booking price did it say One way rental charges may apply to this rental. I found myself in a situation where I had to pay it when I picked up the car.

As this was a substantial element of the total cost of the rental, should I have had to pay this (what I am really trying to say is do I have grounds to reclaim this), bearing in mind it was not included in the price at the time of booking.

Edited by AndyGFLees

If this is the wording of your booking confirmation, then yes, I think that you have been ripped off here and you have a good basis for a claim.

Please will you post the name of the rental company because people need to be warned about this behaviour.

The words which explain that charges may apply are too vague and no judge would allow the company to rely on them.

I suggest that you snd the company a 14 day LBA setting out the basis of your claim.

If they don't respond with your refund, issue your claim using MoneyClaim. You don't need anything more complicated than that. You will recover your money plus claim fee plus interest.

Only follow this route if you are prepared to go all the way. Otherwise don't bother.

Make sure that you download and print all the information which you have found the internet - just in case it is suddenly changed.

Bankfodder,

Thanks for your comments.

The web site is Cheap Car Rentals Worldwide, UK and Europe - Car Hire from eRentals.co.uk (I have taken copies of the wording). After a quick dummy booking you will see that while the price stating the pick up and drop off point is quite clear, it does say later that "One way rental charges may apply" but only in the extras section. I was in a hurry to get this booked and I knew that I needed no extras - hence I didn't read this properly.

However, I believe that the principal rental terms should be encompassed in the main price offered.

• 2 weeks later...

They're all at it. I got several quotes recently fo Mallorca and what some hire companies are doing is giving a full??? tank of fuel on collection, but you must return car as near empty as possible ---dangerous or what when you have a plane to catch. They take money from your CC to cover refill, but the cost/ litre is greatly inflated. Last year when i got home, i thought the fuel cost was well OTT. I checked the operators manual for the hire car, and also read a review on the car, and discovered that they charged me for more litres than the tank held!!!

The other racket is heavy daily charges for ins excess waiver (£2.75+). Their adverts states full comp insurance and the price you pay covers everything---but then they introduce the oppertunity to cover yourself for excess.

Last night i emailed two firms, saying i wanted to make a firm booking on the basis of full tank on uplift and delivery, as yet no replies.8)