Council Tax Benefit Appeal - How?

SethWC
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5528 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Have had my request for backdated benefit refused as follows:

"Having taken into account your explanation for the delay in submitting your application and other factors such as your age and knowledge of benefits we have determined that you have not shown good cause and so are unable to award backdated benefit for the requested period. You have failed to good cause for not claiming at an earlier date. You do not need to have received a council tax bill before you can make an application for Council Tax Benefit."

Took their advice to wait for bill, as we have knocked 2 houses into 1 so VOA took 8 months to agree to one property. Did not receive forms last August when requested. Never claimed ctb before so what knowledge? I am 42 so what? Have submitted all requested documentation for proof of eligability.

I find their comments offensive, condescending, rude and discriminating.

Also no typo "failed to good cause"? This has been a constant battle from the start any advice on appeal pls.

Regards

Who produced this refusal? Hve they explained your rights of appeal?

Says on letter

"You have the right to appeal against the decision. To do this you must state your grounds in writing and send them to reach the Revenues section within one calendar month of the date of this letter."

However you decide to word the appeal there is one sentence you need to include.

"I have been advised to contact my MP regarding this matter"

And actually do it if they don't help.

BANK CHARGES

Nat West Bus Acct £1750 reclaim - WON

LTSB Bus Acct £1650 charges w/o against o/s balance - WON

Halifax Pers Acct £1650 charges taken from benefits - WON

Others

GE Money sec loan - £1900 in charges - settlement agreed

GE Money sec loan - ERC of £2.5K valid for 15 years - on standby

FirstPlus - missold PPI of £20K for friends - WON

Councils seem to be programmed to stop you claiming benefit at all costs. It has taken us ten months to get a claim form frm our local council and now they say that we cannot claim for 2008. I fully intend to claim - as you should and you should make sure you fight on even when they try everything to stop you. Keep copies of everything. Make notes when talking to them on the phone. Get your appeal in and make sure that you say in full what you are appealing against, giving dates and enclosing copies of their letter(s). I agree that you should copy everything to your MP and tell the council that you are doing that. If you have paid full council tax for a period that you would have been entitled to benefit for you should write and ask for repayment of the council tax paid. They would be quick to ask you for overpayment of benefit wouldnt they! Good luck.