• Tweets

• The case against the US-based ride-hailing giant is being brought on behalf of over 10,800 drivers.View the full article
    • I have just read the smaller print on their signs. It says that you can pay at the end of your parking session. given that you have ten minutes grace period the 35 seconds could easily have been taken up with walking back to your car, switching on the engine and then driving out. Even in my younger days when I used to regularly exceed speed limits, I doubt I could have done that in 35 seconds even when I  had a TR5.
    • Makers of insect-based animal feed hope to be able to compete with soybeans on price.View the full article
    • Thank you for posting up the results from the sar. The PCN is not compliant with the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4. Under Section 9 [2][a] they are supposed to specify the parking time. the photographs show your car in motion both entering and leaving the car park thus not parking. If you have to do a Witness Statement later should they finally take you to Court you will have to continue to state that even though you stayed there for several hours in a small car park and the difference between the ANPR times and the actual parking period may only be a matter of a few minutes  nevertheless the CEL have failed to comply with the Act by failing to specify the parking period. However it looks as if your appeal revealed you were the driver the deficient PCN will not help you as the driver. I suspect that it may have been an appeal from the pub that meant that CEL offered you partly a way out  by allowing you to claim you had made an error in registering your vehicle reg. number . This enabled them to reduce the charge to £20 despite them acknowledging that you hadn't registered at all. We have not seen the signs in the car park yet so we do not what is said on them and all the signs say the same thing. It would be unusual for a pub to have  a Permit Holders Only sign which may discourage casual motorists from stopping there. But if that is the sign then as it prohibits any one who doesn't have a permit, then it cannot form a contract with motorists though it may depend on how the signs are worded.
    • Defence and Counterclaim Claim number XXX Claimant Civil Enforcement Limited Defendant XXXXXXXXXXXXX   How much of the claim do you dispute? I dispute the full amount claimed as shown on the claim form.   Do you dispute this claim because you have already paid it? No, for other reasons.   Defence 1. The Defendant is the recorded keeper of XXXXXXX  2. It is denied that the Defendant entered into a contract with the Claimant. 3. As held by the Upper Tax Tribunal in Vehicle Control Services Limited v HMRC [2012] UKUT 129 (TCC), any contract requires offer and acceptance. The Claimant was simply contracted by the landowner to provide car-park management services and is not capable of entering into a contract with the Defendant on its own account, as the car park is owned by and the terms of entry set by the landowner. Accordingly, it is denied that the Claimant has authority to bring this claim. 4. In any case it is denied that the Defendant broke the terms of a contract with the Claimant. 5. The Claimant is attempting double recovery by adding an additional sum not included in the original offer. 6. In a further abuse of the legal process the Claimant is claiming £50 legal representative's costs, even though they have no legal representative. 7. The Particulars of Claim is denied in its entirety. It is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief at all. Signed I am the Defendant - I believe that the facts stated in this form are true XXXXXXXXXXX 01/05/2024   Defendant's date of birth XXXXXXXXXX   Address to which notices about this claim can be sent to you  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

MBNA & Abbey cc, full and final settlement advice.

kb_ba1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5362 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys,

I've been having trouble with MBNA regarding my two credit card debts and am looking for advice on the likelihood of them excepting a Full and Final Settlement. I'm not holding my breath but any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Basically I have got myself to the point where I cannot meet the monthly repayments… I was very stupid and thought their 0% deals would help me repay other debts, which originally they did. However the interest has now increased to 27% for the Abbey account (held my MBNA) and almost 35% for the MBNA account. I now owe Abbey £7000 and MBNA £8700. However the interest on both accounts means I am paying something like £20 each off a month. I went to the CAB for advice; they rang MBNA/ABBEY on my behalf to ask if they would freeze my interest and charges. They refused.

After, weeks of sleepless nights, not eating, having my dose of antidepressants trebled due to having panic attacks and suicidal thoughts I’m at my wits end and don’t really know what to do. I have spoken to my partner (which nearly split us up) but haven’t been brave enough to tell him the whole story. He thinks I owe 8k not 16k odd. However, now the fury has died down he is looking into getting a loan for £8000. What are my chances of MBNA excepting this as a full and final Full and Final Settlement for both debts? Has anyone here had any success? Would getting a doctors note help my position? I don’t want to sound pathetic and wet, but this whole situation really has had a negative effect on my mental wellbeing.

Many thanks in advance.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi, kb_ba1.

Sorry to read your story, how old are the accounts, are there charges you could claim back or have you thought about CCA' ing them.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Hi, kb_ba1.

Sorry to read your story, how old are the accounts, are there charges you could claim back or have you thought about CCA' ing them.

Regards.

Scott.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I opened the accounts around 2002. I am considering trying to get back chrages. However, there aren't many as I've been able to pay it up until recently... I'd like to try a CCA, but the debt went over to Aegis (MBNA have since taken it back), so would this still be possible. I'm just worried about incurring more and more charges when I try to sort it out. Am I right in thinking a CCA blocks any action temporarily...? Have read so much here I'm a bit confused!

Thank you

Hi,

They have 12 + 2 days to comply with your CCA request, after this time.

The absence of any relevant paperwork confirms that you are not liable for any debt to them, nor gives you any chance to evaluate whether any original agreement was ‘properly executed’.

A judge is not permitted to make any enforcement order unless the creditor can provide a true signed copy of the original credit agreement. This means that unless you can produce such an agreement, this alleged debt is not enforceable in law.

Any account you hold with them is now in legal dispute. Whilst the account remains in dispute, they are not permitted to ask for any payment, nor are you obliged to offer any payment to them. Furthermore, whilst the dispute remains, they are not entitled to charge any interest on the account, nor make any further charges to the account. Additionally, they are not entitled to register any information on this account with any credit reference agency.

To register information with a credit reference agency, they must have written consent from the customer to collate and share such information. This consent is given in the form of a signed credit agreement, so until they produce such an agreement, they may not do this.

The requirement for consent to share data is a clear requirement of the Data Protection Act 1998. any such attempts to share my data without your consent will be met with a complaint to the Information Commissioners Office

The time limits, which are laid down in the Consumer Credit (Prescribed Periods for Giving Information) Regulations 1983 are clear. They must supply an executed credit agreement within 12 + 2 working days of a proper CCA request. If they fail to comply with a legitimate request the account enters a default situation. If they continue to harrass you without complying with your original request their conduct shouldl be reported to the Office of Fair Trading, the Financial Ombudsman and Trading Standards. Any investigation undertaken by them may affect their ability to offer credit in the future.

To sum up, you will not be making any further payments until they provide you with the document you have requested. Whilst they remain in default of your request, they are not permitted to take any action against this account. This includes adding further charges and passing any information to the credit reference agencies.

Should they not have any signed credit agreement in relation to this alleged debt,they should confirm this in writing to you.

If they continue to harass you by telephone, they will also be in breach of the Communications Act (2003) s.127 and can report them to OFCOM, Trading Standards and The Office of Fair Trading, meaning that they mayl be liable to a substantial fine.

Regards.

Scott.

Many thanks for your reply.

Will do the CCA and get it off in the post recorded tomorrow.

I'm really hoping they will except a FF Settlement... Not holding my breath, but I do hope so.

I have managed to make the phone calls stop at least. I sent a harassment letter after receiving near on 20 calls a day some days. So at least I can relax on that front for the moment.

So, shall I hold off making them an offer until the CCA is sorted?

Thank you.

Many thanks for your reply.

Will do the CCA and get it off in the post recorded tomorrow.

I'm really hoping they will except a FF Settlement... Not holding my breath, but I do hope so.

I have managed to make the phone calls stop at least. I sent a harassment letter after receiving near on 20 calls a day some days. So at least I can relax on that front for the moment.

So, shall I hold off making them an offer until the CCA is sorted?

Thank you.

Hi KB ba1,

Look it's a little early to be offering F&F at the moment. See what the CCA request brings etc and take advice from the long term caggers. But just if this helps, I have a £12K with MBNA and they have offered me F&F for just over £4K but said they would keep the default on my file for 6 years.

You may, or may not be in a better position, but at least by waiting for the results you will be better placed to make an informed decision. So relax for now.

Good luck

NAB

• Haha 1

I'm not a legal expert. Any help or advice I offer is based upon experience gained from this fantastic forum.

Thanks for your advice. I think I'm just desperate to forget about it all so I can start living my life again and get a good night's sleep!

Ok, I've used a template letter for the CCA request. Be great if someone could check it before I send it off.

Re Account No:- xxxxxxxxx (Abbey)

& xxxxxxxxxxx (MBNA)

Dear Sir or Madam,

This letter is a formal request pursuant to s.77/78 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. I require you to provide me with a true copy of the credit agreements relating to the above accounts, together with any other documentation the Act requires you to provide.

I expect you to comply fully and properly with this request, within the statutory time limit. You are reminded that should you fail to comply with my request, the provisions of s.77 will apply.

If it is your view that you are not the creditor, s.175 of the CCA 1974 applies in the case of a simple assignment, and places a duty upon you to pass this request to the creditor. In the case of an absolute assignment, you are a creditor as defined by s.189. If you contend that you purchased the rights but not the duties of any agreement, you are reminded that s.189 of the Act is clear that an assignment is of both rights and duties.

Your attention is drawn to ss.5(2), 3(b),6 and 7 of the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 (CPUTR).

I enclose cheque for the sum of £1.00, which is the statutory fee. Note that these funds are not to be used for any other purpose.

If you are unable to comply fully and properly with this request, you should confirm this in writing at the earliest opportunity, and certainly within the statutory time limit for compliance, and return the fee.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully

Letter is fine (although if you are sending it to an original creditor as opposed to a debt collection agency who have 'bought' your debt then the paragraph which starts "if it is your view" can be omitted), remember to enclose a £1 postal order for each request, and send recorded delivery.... - keep us posted as/when/if you hear back...and do spend some time reading around these forums, you are amongst people who are / have been in similar situations as yourself !! I will also say that for all F & F offers it is crucial to get them all in writing.....it has been known that some debts were settled on the phone only to be chased again a few years down the line !!

thank you for the feedback 42man. when the CAB spoke to both Aegis and MBNA we were told the debt is now back with MBNA (should I get that in writing?). So I'm guessing just send it to MBNA? Or wait for confirmation of where the debt is with.

Gosh, sorry. I've read so much on this forum but it's confusing when it's me!

Well, just sent it off in the post so we shall see what it brings. Interestingly the CAB also requested copies so I'll be interested to see if the they match... I could post what I've had tonight if anyone would be willing to take a look or shall we wait and see what I receive this time around?

Thanks!

Also... I'm off to the doc's again to see him about how I'm doing regarding my meds being increased due to the stress all of this is causing... Do yu think having a note of some kind from him will help my case? I did read a report published by MIND and they don't seem to care if you have mental health issues and from what I've read here, even if you are dying. Disgusting. I wonder how they sleep at night in those cases...

Hi,

You should be OK, It's just to ensure no one can 'lift' your signature and put it on an agreement ;)

Regards.

Scott.

Ok... Here's the agreement I received from MBNA when I sent them the letter from the CAB. If someone could look over it that would be fab. Abbey one to follow... Just waiting to see what I get after the CCA request now...

MBNA_01.jpg

MBNA_02.jpg

Edited by kb_ba1

If some one could have a quick look at the above would be most appreciated. I have noticed the numbers on the front and back in the bottom left hand corners don't match. Seems most people on here find that...

Hi,

The attachments are to small, can you enlage and post again.

Thanks.

Regards.

Scott

Well, hopefully we'll get somewhere silver1977! Fingers crossed eh?

I haven't been able to arrange with them to freeze interest or go on a reduced payment plan. It works out that my outgoing to them leave me with something like £80 to last the month. That's food shopping, bills everything! I get those letters saying call us we can help (yeah right, call us and we'll be rude and patronising more like). Then you get the letters saying 'we've tried to help you' blah, blah, blah.... It's driving me nuts!!!

This is why I'm hoping they may take a full and final settlement. But you know MBNA...

*bump*

sorry... just want some advice...

Did they send you the additional sheet with the terms and conditions numbered 4-19 for each card?

If not, they have not complied with your request and are in default if the 12+2 days are up. They are supposed to send you a copy of your agreement including any documents referred to in the agreement.

I would write back stating that they have failed to supply every thing that you are entitled to and paid for and remind them the account remains in default until they have fully complied with your request.

if you don't want to send it recorded, get a free certificate of posting from the post office.

I'm not great at scouring agreements. I will ask on Consumer Credit Agreements thread if someone will look for you.

Needabreak

I'm not a legal expert. Any help or advice I offer is based upon experience gained from this fantastic forum.

Thanks needabreak. That was all I received... I will certainly write to them again stating they have not complied.

Why do these guys have to make it so hard for everyone?!

Also, just out of interest how long does the account stay in dispute? Is there a set time or is it until we reach some kind of result?

Thanks.